Lockheed Vega Model 5 Floatplane

Thought I'd throw this into the mix, a Lockheed Vega Model 5 Floatplane using the 1/72 MPM kit.

20240312-201603.jpg

The box.

20240427-205735.jpg

Fuselage bits.

20240427-210108.jpg

Wing and engine bits.

20240427-211915.jpg

Float bits.

Stuart

• Like 10

With parts removed and cleaned-up, I got stuck in.

20240430-104633.jpg

Interior walls, floor, seats and I/P painted using mainly Vallejo paints.

20240430-115615.jpg

Interior parts fitted, just the rear cabin bulkhead and control stick to add and the I can think about closing up. I will fit the side windows before I close up as I'd hate to fit them later and they fall inside...

Stuart

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Does it have the yellow on the wing topsides as well? 

Yes it does. Got a dio idea in my head but you'll have to wait.

Stuart

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

more like a vignette in my usual style.

Good enough for me, Stuart. Fantastic subject too 👏 Yeah, it'll need something to sit on, or in.

In the background, I carefully reduce the size of the side windows so that they fit nicely into their orifices...one side now done.

20240503-110215.jpg

The one piece engine, its mount and the interior of the cowlings are painted. 

Stuart

• Like 9

This has taken some effort...

20240514-115829.avif

The cockpit glazing needed to be fitted first before fitting the wing but the glazing sitting too high, preventing the wing from seating correctly. After many cycles of whittling, fitting glazing, fitting wing, I eventually glued in the cockpit glazing. Unfortunately due to much handling, I popped a few seams above and below the rear fuselage, and redial work was needed. Eventually the wing was fitted and a little PPP will be needed along the joint.

Stuart

• Like 11

That's shaping up nicely, Stuart. Good work on subduing the canopy assembly.

Great subject. These single-engine airliners are weird things....

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while but I had to et a good match with the orange paint which has arrived and a new kitchen to install...

20240527-224042.jpg

Propeller, struts and float assembly painted.

20240527-223616.jpg

Initially, the flying surfaces were painted with the suggested Gunze/Mr Hobby H14 orange over my grey primed but it looked too brown. I also found that I already had a pot of Mr Hobby Orange 59 and when I applied a dot of each next to the orange decal, the 59 was spot on. I also decided to re-prime the model white and then apply the 59 Orange, et voila. Next, masking, then the blue.

Stuart

• Like 13

44 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good colour on the Vega. 

I have heard that the orange should be yellow but seeing that the side decals are the orange...

Stuart

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I have heard that the orange should be yellow but seeing that the side decals are the orange...

Stuart

Ive seen a good number of b&w photo’s of older aircraft with yellow and the descriptions that go along. I think an orangey/yellow is better than a lemon yellow. 

• Like 1

That's a lovely bright orange! Will definitely be an eye catcher. I do think that someone was a bit confused at MPM though. Just googled (very dangerous thing to do I know) some pics of this airframe. I'm assuming that what's available now, wasn't available when the kit was released, but they do look orange to me! This will look excellent when it's complete! 

• Like 2

20240530-230126.avif

The colours look rather vivid in the pic but less so in reality. Anyways, the best blue to match that on the decal was Tamiya XF-8 Flat Blue but after applying it, it didn't look quite right and I subsequently discovered another blue that looked promising, Tamiya X-3 Royal Blue and here it is. Next, I'll apply a gloss coat before decals.

Stuart

• Like 11