F-35 Draken, 1/72 Hasegawa

My favorit jet, the Saab 35 Draken.

This is my Danish F-35 Draken based on the Hasegawa 1/72 kit.

Maestro Models make a very good conversion kit to make the Danish fighter/bomber version.

I also included Maestro Models PE and scratch build the FOD covers from foil.

The paint scheme is a 90’es bird with the gloss green color.

Decals are from Stoppel Hobby.

The VW is a resin kit from PJ models and this vehicle was often seen at Danish Air Force bases at the time.

Thanks for watching.

Drakendkspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Drakendk
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Sweet!

I just started this same kit and conversion. Mine will be one of those faded ones, though. As you say, nice conversion. How did you manage that fairing around the tail hook?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Sweet!

I just started this same kit and conversion. Mine will be one of those faded ones, though. As you say, nice conversion. How did you manage that fairing around the tail hook?

Hi Pete

Thanks, and nice to hear about other Draken makers 🙂

If you are going to make one of the older faded ones, you don’t need to do much conversion.

- The tail hook (but not the fairing from the conversion kit, it was only on the updated planes with glossy paint).

- The front wheel hub.

- The pylons.

- larger fuel tanks (you can get them from maestro models).

- The cockpit front panel

I thank that is all for an early Danish Draken.

Is the picture bellow the version you are thinking about?spacer.png

Edited by Drakendk
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Creepy Pete said:

Yes, that's the stuff. I'm doing AR-111, which was an updated but still faded one at some point. https://www.airhistory.net/photo/311967/AR-111

Lovely job you did on that one.

Ok i see. It’s a recce version with early updates.

what you need here is:

- making the recce nose pointy

- shorten the tail finn housing a bit

- install early style RWR under the wings (maestro models “apparat 15” will do the job)

You can see the different update versions in the Victor Pontus decal sheet booklet for faded danish aircraft.

If you don’t have this booklet i can post a picture that shows the differences?

Hmmm, you're saying it has the pointy recce nose still? I do have the Paulus Victor decals, and I'm not quite happy with them. Here's my build thread:

I have ordered some Wolfpak decals by now, that also has those light strips, so at least that's settled.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Hmmm, you're saying it has the pointy recce nose still? I do have the Paulus Victor decals, and I'm not quite happy with them. Here's my build thread:

I have ordered some Wolfpak decals by now, that also has those light strips, so at least that's settled.

Thanks for the link! And nice work on the Draken so far 🙂

The drakens were updated in different stages. The plane you are doing is from the early updates, pre WDNS. So the lumps on the wing tips and weird shape on the nose as well as the chaff/flare dispensers on the side air scoops near the tail and the tail hook was not present at this stage.

The Draken updates is a bit tricky i admit!

• Like 1

Thanks. I had no idea there were so many variations over the years. Seems like Denmark really appreciated their Drakens and tried to keep them up to date. I shall ponder what to do with my build now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Here are two pics that shows the main differences between early an later updates. Hope that helpd?spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3