Revell Junkers F.13, 1/72nd, Lloyd Ostflug (Danziger Luftpost), Switzerland, 1923...

The masks are off and I am surprised at how clean the lines are.  I was expecting much more bleed-through due to the corrugated metal.  Just a few little bits to touch up here and there.  

53707994597_d7b0891b96_z_d.jpg

53709235809_5b29745a46_z_d.jpg

I'd like to finish this up before Sunday to make room on the bench for the boat.

--John

• Like 7

11 hours ago, John Masters said:

expecting much more bleed-through due to the corrugated metal

Me too. I've the floatplane version in the stash, so this thread has given me some pointers. Good work so far.

Stuart

On 5/9/2024 at 9:45 PM, Courageous said:

Me too. I've the floatplane version in the stash, so this thread has given me some pointers. Good work so far.

Thanks Stuart.  IT's a very basic kit and good well be upgraded with scrathbuilding, etc...the level of moulded detail is pretty good where it counts, i.e. the corrugated surface.  My next trick will be the decals.  I am hoping to have some sort of texture beneath them, but I imagine it won't as good as paint.

I went over the red areas with a hairy brush and gave it an extra layer.  It is more opaque now.

53712235683_a518d7c559_z_d.jpg

The decals were not difficult and I took all afternoon to do them.  One side, then let dry, another side, etc...Lots of solvent and they did settle into the grooves a little.

53712453805_82b87c7652_z_d.jpg

53712022241_05d5041e89_z_d.jpg

The wooden prop...

53712453780_e8c25cc494_z_d.jpg

As of a few minutes ago...the wheels are on, the prop is on.  The windscreens are attached.  It's essentially done.  I will get some better photos tomorrow, but for now...

A couple of Swiss babies...

53712235668_2953698703_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Now that looks rather cool. Looking forward to the gallery pics.

Thank you.  I think it does too.  Much better than the boxtop image, imho.  

1 hour ago, Bobby No Mac said:

I think a silver and red colour combination just works so well on aircraft. Your Junkers is a beauty :like: 

Thank you!

I'm sorry but the Junkers isn't a Swiss aircraft. It is from so-called Free-state of Danzig from southern bank of Baltic sea. Danzig is nowadays ´Gdansk in Poland.

Cheers,

AaCee

23 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

I'm sorry but the Junkers isn't a Swiss aircraft. It is from so-called Free-state of Danzig from southern bank of Baltic sea. Danzig is nowadays ´Gdansk in Poland.

This was flown by the Swiss Luftpost.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 2:08 PM, Old Man said:

Good to see it coming together, John.

Here's the picture with caption, and a link to the article....

euEHTId.jpeg

"Two Junkers F 13s were acquired from the Soviet Union in 1924. A machine gun stand was a rare feature on the F 13, which was normally a passenger transport. The two aircraft in the background are R-1s."

http://artiklar.z-bok.se/Iran-1.html

James

I’m thinking of doing one of these in both civilian and modified with the gun ring like this photo. 

@John Masters very well done on this one, I know its not easy to do the corrugated metal and masking. 

Nice work John. The propeller in particular caught my eye :goodjob:

Excellent job. By far the best reference on the F13 is the Rob Mulder et al book. It has inspired me to make six F13s so far and I'm not finished yet. Great to see your build 😊