Revell Junkers F.13, 1/72nd, Lloyd Ostflug (Danziger Luftpost), Switzerland, 1923...

Here's one I have been wanting to build for a while.  Neat looking aircraft and 1923 fits the era perfectly.  

53680856712_6b20a94039_z_d.jpg

The profile...the box art scheme looks very nice.

53680878777_db59103537_o_d.jpg

I'll start in on it tomorrow evening I hope.

--John

• Like 10

1923 definitely sits right in there. Junkers to me was the epitome of early airliner manufacturing. I doubt there were too many locale’s not served at that time by a Junkers aircraft. Ive read pretty much all 6 continents had some form of airline or air service using a Junkers. Im not sure but it’s possible even some early explorer’s used them in Antarctica ? 

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

1923 definitely sits right in there. Junkers to me was the epitome of early airliner manufacturing. I doubt there were too many locale’s not served at that time by a Junkers aircraft. Ive read pretty much all 6 continents had some form of airline or air service using a Junkers. Im not sure but it’s possible even some early explorer’s used them in Antarctica ? 

Yes.  A sturdy and useful aircraft for sure.  

I was up early so I explored the sprue...

These are for my aircraft.

53683945316_19b3305924_z_d.jpg

This sprue is all for the floatplane version.  I'll be saving these!

53684402715_5aaa251f1c_z_d.jpg

A bit of glass...

53683080002_fcfc10f726_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

Not a terribly difficult kit so far.  Basic pieces.  Some flash and, for those who need to know, some moulding sinks but they won't be seen.

53685700620_05f7423040_z_d.jpg

It ended up looking like this...

53685243031_bcdf4dc5fe_z_d.jpg

53685611374_e9327c79e4_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Toryu said:

Not much leg room in row 1, even by today's standards!

No! People were shorter back then.  😆

I added some glass tonight and put together the large lifting structure.

53686689092_8c19b17429_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

That's coming along nicely, John!

I've thought about doing one of these, some got military use in the Middle East.

I've got a Preiser set keyed to this kit, aircrew, boarding passengers, ground crew.

James

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Old Man said:

That's coming along nicely, John!

I've thought about doing one of these, some got military use in the Middle East.

I've got a Preiser set keyed to this kit, aircrew, boarding passengers, ground crew.

That sounds fun.  I'd like to see the livery for the Middle East carrier.

This is where I'm at tonight...

53690325195_28b2b35b51_z_d.jpg

And this...

53690099643_e443deed30_z_d.jpg

Busy bench this evening.  Busy bench = Happy Modeller.

--John

• Like 5

Good to see it coming together, John.

Here's the picture with caption, and a link to the article....

euEHTId.jpeg

"Two Junkers F 13s were acquired from the Soviet Union in 1924. A machine gun stand was a rare feature on the F 13, which was normally a passenger transport. The two aircraft in the background are R-1s."

http://artiklar.z-bok.se/Iran-1.html

James

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

Here's the picture with caption, and a link to the article....

Thanks James...

I added the top of the fuselage last night.  It took some fettling to get it to fit.  Funny little bug eyes!

53691057723_9171c02611_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

I added the top of the fuselage last night.  It took some fettling to get it to fit.  Funny little bug eyes!

I always did think the windscreen reminded me of a 1930’s Bugatti or other exotic car. 

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I always did think the windscreen reminded me of a 1930’s Bugatti or other exotic car. 

Yes..same era if you think about it.  Such designs!

I have attached all the wings and nose/radiator.  It looks very much like the thing now.

53692525608_d185a6ab38_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Yes..same era if you think about it.  Such designs!

I have attached all the wings and nose/radiator.  It looks very much like the thing now.

53692525608_d185a6ab38_z_d.jpg

--John

I may just buy one of these. It comes with floats and I think it would make for a good bush plane in the era. 

On 5/1/2024 at 11:31 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I may just buy one of these. It comes with floats and I think it would make for a good bush plane in the era. 

Yes...it's not inexpensive kit and not rare, so it makes it an easy purchase.  I agree about the bush plane...they were used a lot up in Lapland and other arctic areas of Europe as well as the Baltic states.  Why not Alaska?  

The elastic is gone and the foam has been inserted into the cockpit cavity.  She's all ready to prime!

53695131521_2f7c00fd72_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

11 hours ago, John Masters said:

Yes...it's not inexpensive kit and not rare, so it makes it an easy purchase.  I agree about the bush plane...they were used a lot up in Lapland and other arctic areas of Europe as well as the Baltic states.  Why not Alaska?  

The elastic is gone and the foam has been inserted into the cockpit cavity.  She's all ready to prime!

53695131521_2f7c00fd72_z_d.jpg

--John

They were also used in Western Canada and were even up here in Northeast Alberta.

F.13 2

There is a photo out there of one on The Snye, about a mile away from where my bum is parked in front of my 'puter.

Chris

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

They were also used in Western Canada and were even up here in Northeast Alberta.

F.13 2

There is a photo out there of one on The Snye, about a mile away from where my bum is parked in front of my 'puter.

Chris

That photo on the Snye is the one I was thinking of. I think you've posted photo’s of it or a link before ? It’s one of the reason's Id like to build as a bush plane. I always wanted to be a bush pilot. 

20 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That photo on the Snye is the one I was thinking of. I think you've posted photo’s of it or a link before ? It’s one of the reason's Id like to build as a bush plane. I always wanted to be a bush pilot. 

If I did, I can't find it now.

Chris

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Masters said:

it's not inexpensive kit

I meant "It's not an expensive kit."  Sausage fingers sometimes! 😃

Not too many gaps to fill here, but I took care of what was needed.

53697751290_1987836f62_z_d.jpg

And then I added all the little bits...mostly hand-holds and such.  Could someone please tell me what the snorkel on the roof was for?  Airspeed indicator?  Generator?

53697751285_b8a768ce7c_z_d.jpg

53697312061_645e0f9824_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, John Masters said:

Not too many gaps to fill here, but I took care of what was needed.

53697751290_1987836f62_z_d.jpg

And then I added all the little bits...mostly hand-holds and such.  Could someone please tell me what the snorkel on the roof was for?  Airspeed indicator?  Generator?

53697751285_b8a768ce7c_z_d.jpg

53697312061_645e0f9824_z_d.jpg

--John

Definitely looks like a Venturi airspeed indicator to my old Mk.I’s 👀

WUGi8pJ.jpg

Not all the photos of original planes had them so I wonder if the switched to a different location or pitot at some point ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Definitely looks like a Venturi airspeed indicator to my old Mk.I’s 👀

Sure does.  The right shape certainly. Funny mounting it way up there.  I guess to keep it away from prop wash.

• Like 1

I have started off the painting with the wide red stripes on the wings and rudder.  I used the width of the white cross decals as a guide, then added 2mm on each side.  In the end the stripes are 1.5cm wide.  Then the red paint went on.  

53700877174_b2d5cbed40_z_d.jpg

53700976975_259fd2e364_z_d.jpg

53700538621_7c62defa05_z_d.jpg

The next round of airbrushing will be the black areas which include the stabilizers and large sections at the wing roots, landing gear, forward section of the aircraft, etc...

--John

• Like 7

Just been catching up on this build, lovely stuff. It's an interesting little bird; you can definitely see the Junkers lineage between this and something like the Ju 52.

16 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

It's an interesting little bird; you can definitely see the Junkers lineage between this and something like the Ju 52.

Indeed you can!  Thanks for looking in.

I masked off the red areas and then gave the black areas their due.  I will mask them off later today and add the Duraluminum NMF.  

53704315466_847b1b74f5_z_d.jpg

53704747360_0de4d67d59_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 9