British Army adopt Boxer-based RCH155 gun

GMK

Interesting choice after adopting Archer, effectively as a UOR.  I can see the Archers being kept in a precision deep strike role with the RCH being used in more direct support of manoeuvre.  I get the mechanical compatibility with Boxer.  But Ukraine has been heavily critical of the PzH2000 for poor reliability and the maintenance overhead.  Although they have also ordered 50 RCH.

That's a small turret when you think that it is basically the same ordnance as PzH2000.  No sign of an armoured ammunition vehicle to go with it.  The chassis is going to rock like a mad thing on those wheels with the recoil, especially firing off-axis and at lower elevations, despite the multi-slot muzzle brake. I worked on FRES back along many moons ago, and there was a proposed 155 SP variant of the Utility Vehicle along with a 120mm mortar variant.  Boxer is essentialy filling the FRS UV capability.  The 155 was foreseen as an open mount, more like CAESAR.  But lock-out suspension was then considered essential because of the rocking.

17 hours ago, Kingsman said:

Interesting choice after adopting Archer, effectively as a UOR.  I can see the Archers being kept in a precision deep strike role with the RCH being used in more direct support of manoeuvre.  I get the mechanical compatibility with Boxer.  But Ukraine has been heavily critical of the PzH2000 for poor reliability and the maintenance overhead.  Although they have also ordered 50 RCH.

That's a small turret when you think that it is basically the same ordnance as PzH2000.  No sign of an armoured ammunition vehicle to go with it.  The chassis is going to rock like a mad thing on those wheels with the recoil, especially firing off-axis and at lower elevations, despite the multi-slot muzzle brake. I worked on FRES back along many moons ago, and there was a proposed 155 SP variant of the Utility Vehicle along with a 120mm mortar variant.  Boxer is essentialy filling the FRS UV capability.  The 155 was foreseen as an open mount, more like CAESAR.  But lock-out suspension was then considered essential because of the rocking.

Bit odd! I haven’t seen anywhere that we have actually trailed and assessed the  platform! Yet we have confirmed its purchase? To me it looks a bit of a bodge and very top heavy. You know the saying “ if it doesn’t look right it isn’t right”😀

I wonder if this is the beginning of the UK shaking off the yoke of EU-origin public procurement regulations.  Although those are still UK law and we agreed as part of the EU divorce settlement to remain with the Government Procurement Agreement - to remain bound by EU public procurement law.  I haven't heard anything about this platform being evaluated either.  We have been looking at 155mm systems for a while and looked closely at CAESAR and Archer before settling on Archer.  I believe we trialled both.  But here a non-competitive selection - if indeed that is what this is - could be open to legal challenge by aggreived other suppliers.  There is a procedural route using a Voluntary Transparency Notice that might have headed off challenges if no-one challenged that notice.

But a return to just buying stuff without proper evaluation is a dangerous path, even if that equipment is "mature".  Love them or loathe them, the regulations did bring a rigour that was previously sadly lacking to defence equipment selection.  My world for over 3 decades.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kingsman said:

But a return to just buying stuff without proper evaluation is a dangerous path, even if that equipment is "mature". 

Like buying model kits :rofl: