Chieftain/Challenger Khalid conversion questions

The Mk4 was an L60 deck.  It would have been based on the Mk2 I believe.  The main change was increased fuel tankage, hence the squared-off sides.  I think the weights on the turret cupola are to simulate the weight of a larger heavier sight.

As for the Khalid hull length, yes it was longer at the rear than Chieftain to fit the longer engine in, and angled of course.  I'm not sure if the point of the end of the floor plate and transition to rear plate was any different.

The FV4211 had a new aluminium lower hull (a failure) so it is very likely that the bogie spacing was different.  Chieftain's front bogie is slightly further from the middle one than the rear one is anyway - larger gap between wheels 2 and 3 than between 4 and 5.  Khalid evens this out but photos of 4211 do suggest the front bogie spacing is even more accentuated.

• Like 1

Constructing a Khalid is on my list of projects to do, so this is a very interesting thread.

I also volunteer at Bovington Tank Museum, so in theory I should be able to cope! 🤔

As @PeteH1969 suggests, a build thread would be good if you are close to starting such a project.

I can help with pic requests now and then! In fact, there are already some in my Flickr album for the Khalid in the Tank Museum here (just double click on the pic and you will be taken there).

FV4030 Khalid

For anyone interested in seeing my whole collection (to date) from the TM and the Lulworth Ranges, click on the album below. Beware, over 1500 photos taken in the museum, event days and the Lulworth ranges.

Tank Museum and Tank Ranges

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

a build thread would be good if you are close to starting such a project.

i wouldn't say i'm close at the moment as i have got a few loose ends to tie up before i start building. i've only just got myself a new stash!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I can help with pic requests now and then! In fact, there are already some in my Flickr album for the Khalid in the Tank Museum

i particularly like the side-by-side shot of the rear decks. you can see all the differences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

i particularly like the side-by-side shot of the rear decks. you can see all the differences.

Yes, I did those when I decided to collect some data to plan my own project. The fact that they are (at the moment) parked side by side, really helps with the comparison.

I plan to spend some more time (when I can) around those two and look at the differences. It is such a unique opportunity having them both parked so neatly next to each other, with an ex Army Chieftain parked the other side of the Challenger!

T.

On 03/05/2024 at 22:24, Terry1954 said:

It is such a unique opportunity having them both parked so neatly next to each other, with an ex Army Chieftain parked the other side of the Challenger!

make the most of it. i'm four and a half hours away planning a for trip later this year. that said i have already been blessed by you and @Kingsman with your generous pics and info.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

planning a for trip later this year.

If you give me plenty of warning before you come down, I'll try and be there, and we can meet and chew the cud on the concept of a model of the Khalid!

Also, we have an area called the VCC (Vehicle Conservation Centre) which is a vast hanger (plus smaller workshop) containing a vast number of non publicly displayed AFV's, which includes many prototypes and other exotic vehicles. If you time it right, it does occasionally open to the public.

T.

• Thanks 1

thankfully, I pass this....

spacer.png

..every day on my commute. Its a Mk11. It is from the muckleburgh collection but parked out the front of the Anglia Motel on the A17 near Holbeach in Lincolnshire. There's also an FV432, a DUKW, and a Humber Pig.

So, although I'm not quite ready to start building i have started this...

and the stash is already growing which means @Kingsman might just see this...

On 02/05/2024 at 21:45, Kingsman said:

You know you want to.........

spacer.png

• Like 1

• Abandoned Project changed the title to Chieftain/Challenger Khalid conversion questions

could the side plates for a Chally 1 be used on a Chally 2 to make an export (Cr 2e) or Omani style Cr2? seen a few pics on Google that got the "what-ifs?" going.

I think the answer to that is yes.  Omani CR2s also have the CR1 style of track with the single large pad.  In fact the whole running gear is closer to CR1 than CR2.  There are some other differences too, notably around engine cooling and crew air conditioning.

• Thanks 1