Jump to content

Car Insurance


Recommended Posts

What the actual.....?  

 

I got my car insurance renewal quote today.  I drive a twenty year old VW Passat TDi in excellent condition.   My monthly insurance payments were £42.   They have now gone up to £94.   :yikes: 

 

So I phoned the insurance company to ask why.  I won't tell you the name, but I'm sure you have heard of it.  They have high profile ads on the telly. 

 

I haven't made an insurance claim in over 25 years.

 

The company told me it's because the car is a diesel.  Diesel cars no longer align with their corporate vision.  :wall: 

 

I was confused.  So I went to the relevant website. ;)   I got a decent quote with all the bells and whistles for £25 per month.  :thumbsup:

 

I don't understand how a company can allow woke ideology to interfere with their business model.  :shrug: 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Diesel cars no longer align with their corporate vision.

I think you may have got someone on the other end of the line who was making up any old twaddle, just so they could avoid saying "It's because insurance is a ruddy great scam and nothing will stop us taking every opportunity we can to take your money off you."  That, and nothing else, is every insurance company's only "corporate vision".  And the only thing that drives the treatment of specific types of insured item is the amount of money they've had to pay out on them in the past - they always jack up their customers' premiums to make sure they end up, overall, not losing a penny.

 

This is why I didn't bother to claim when some twerp in a lorry removed my wing mirror last month.  He'd shot away before I could get as much as the name of the firm off the back doors, so it was going to be my policy I'd claim on.  Even at the price of a replacement (another scam) the effect of my excess and increased premiums would have cost me the same in no more than a couple of years.  Why bother?

 

Well done for getting much lower premiums off someone else.  Bet they don't last, though, now that they've got you and they don't feel any need to reward your loyalty.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, pigsty said:

Well done for getting much lower premiums off someone else.  Bet they don't last, though, now that they've got you and they don't feel any need to reward your loyalty.

 

In which case I'll just do the same thing again and go with another company.

 

You mentioned an important word:  loyalty.  Loyalty is very important to me.  I have been with this company for over twenty years but it's clear that they have no loyalty to me, so I'm happy to give my loyalty to someone else.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some nice kind person kissed the front corner of my Tiguan. I noticed it days later. I had to inform my insurance company about this EVEN though I was NOT making a claim. Just passing on information. (which I believe is the correct thing to do). 

 

Now I'm up for renewal in May. Just watch the premium go ballistic. (Not my fault, did not claim. Just informed) Hey oh.

 

That kiss cost me £500.  The wife is cheaper :kissing2: 

 

Dick

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually shop around, but this year I stayed LV again as 50% increase was way less than any other quotes.  Pretty reasonable considering they’d had to rebuild half the car following a slope / jump out of gear after being parked perfectly happily as usual for 24+ hours / handbrake / garden wall situation.  😭

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pigsty said:

I think you may have got someone on the other end of the line who was making up any old twaddle, just so they could avoid saying "It's because insurance is a ruddy great scam and nothing will stop us taking every opportunity we can to take your money off you."  That, and nothing else, is every insurance company's only "corporate vision".  And the only thing that drives the treatment of specific types of insured item is the amount of money they've had to pay out on them in the past - they always jack up their customers' premiums to make sure they end up, overall, not losing a penny.

 

This is why I didn't bother to claim when some twerp in a lorry removed my wing mirror last month.  He'd shot away before I could get as much as the name of the firm off the back doors, so it was going to be my policy I'd claim on.  Even at the price of a replacement (another scam) the effect of my excess and increased premiums would have cost me the same in no more than a couple of years.  Why bother?

 

Well done for getting much lower premiums off someone else.  Bet they don't last, though, now that they've got you and they don't feel any need to reward your loyalty.

Years ago I had an accident and my insurance company (widely known in the states) dropped me afterwards. I found out 4 months later. I called to drop my 2nd car from the policy. I was told I had been dropped so asked why ? The operator’s answer was because of the accident. I then asked why did you keep taking my $225 a month ? Answer was we dont know why ? I then responded because you figured you could steal my $ and tell me if I had another accident I wasn't covered. Response was and I quote “Insurance companies are not in the business of profit, we are here to protect you”. I laughed and answered the heck you are. Insurance companies are in business to take money”. “You hope you never need to make a pay out, and if the time comes you nickel & dime it down as Much as you can”. 
 

I never did get that $900 back. However to this day I tell everyone I can this story. So as to deter customers from considering them as a choice. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Corsairfoxfouruncle - Sorry $225 a month that's $2700 year. Is that how much insurance costs in the states or do you drive something exotic? 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

Corsairfoxfouruncle - Sorry $225 a month that's $2700 year. Is that how much insurance costs in the states or do you drive something exotic? 

 

 

Depends where you live,urban is usually more then rural.I live in rural NC,I pay $1489 for full coverage on a 2018 and 2021 vehicle.If I was still in NJ it would be $2500

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Car insurance is going through the roof, my renewal quote from LV was 50% up on previous year, and that was significantly up on the year before that with the exception of 1 year with the post office  been with them for 20 years. When I enquire about the increase it's a case that repair costs (parts & labour) ave all gone up, I've a friend in the trade and he confirms that's true to an extent but not 50% in the last year, not even since Covid.

 

The risks around petrol & diesel cars have not changed, the new kid on the block is electric (full or hybrid). Expensive to buy, expensive to repair and after an accident No one wants to touch them.  There's one sat in a field alongside the Snake pass (A57) that looks like it's rolled several times and has been waiting recovery for THREE months, it's not even in a difficult location. If it stays much longer it may need planning permission from the Peak Park Planning board.

4 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The company told me it's because the car is a diesel. 

 

Diesel on a longer run is actually better for the environment than Petrol. (That's sure to bring out the naysayers).

 

As for Electric cars no one has published an estimate of their Carbon & other polutant footprints  Lithium

 

 

TIP:  Check your mileage I reviewed my last few MOT certs to find I'd been over estimating my annual mileage by some 3000 miles, & managed to save just over £100. Beter im my pocket than theirs.

Edited by Circloy
Tip
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

    my insurance here in canada just over $900 Cad, full cover etc for a ford with a 2.0 turbo ecoboost engine for 12 mths 

   cheers 

     jerry 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pigpen said:

Corsairfoxfouruncle - Sorry $225 a month that's $2700 year. Is that how much insurance costs in the states or do you drive something exotic? 

 

 

At the time I was driving a Ford Ranger mid-size pick-up and also had a Chevy Camaro. Currently my insurance on a 14 yr old Jeep liberty is about $1500 a yr. Its about $750 every 6 months. You want good insurance rates in the states your credit better be immaculate. They tie your credit rating to your insurance. They claim they don't but Ive compared quotes from others with similar Jeeps. They are sometimes higher or lower and it all depends on two things. Driving record and credit. Sadly Im looking to buy/lease a new car soon and am worried that may kill the new car idea. 

 

49 minutes ago, Tojo72 said:

Depends where you live,urban is usually more then rural.I live in rural NC,I pay $1489 for full coverage on a 2018 and 2021 vehicle.If I was still in NJ it would be $2500


Yes that does effect it as well. Im in a suburban area near Chicago. Carjacking's have gone through the roof since the pandemic. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

What the actual.....?  

 

I got my car insurance renewal quote today.  I drive a twenty year old VW Passat TDi in excellent condition.   My monthly insurance payments were £42.   They have now gone up to £94.   :yikes: 

 

So I phoned the insurance company to ask why.  I won't tell you the name, but I'm sure you have heard of it.  They have high profile ads on the telly. 

 

I haven't made an insurance claim in over 25 years.

 

The company told me it's because the car is a diesel.  Diesel cars no longer align with their corporate vision.  :wall: 

 

I was confused.  So I went to the relevant website. ;)   I got a decent quote with all the bells and whistles for £25 per month.  :thumbsup:

 

I don't understand how a company can allow woke ideology to interfere with their business model.  :shrug: 

Because there are a few well known investment firms which have taken the position that if a company does not align itself with the investment firms ESG (environment, social, governance) stand they will be downgraded or dropped altogether. Basically, it's corporate blackmail.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The company told me it's because the car is a diesel.  Diesel cars no longer align with their corporate vision.  :wall: 

To which the obvious response is: "Doing business with idiots doesn't align with my personal values, goodbye."

I'm glad you found someone else a lot cheaper.  Obviously they have their head screwed on and feel that increasing sales aligns with their corporate vision.  Good luck to them.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, malpaso said:

I usually shop around, but this year I stayed LV again as 50% increase was way less than any other quotes.

And to think I moaned loudly when my insurance went up from £400 a year to £500 a year in November.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here in the Banana Republic, we do not have compulsory car/vehicle insurance. 

Making it compulsory simply aids the insurance companies to hold everyone to ransom, since you "require" it.:o

 

 

9 hours ago, Circloy said:

As for Electric cars no one has published an estimate of their Carbon & other polutant footprints  Lithium

Hopefully sodium-ion battery technology arrives soon. It's promising and certainly will not do the damage to the planet that lithium has done.

I read a superb university paper quite some years back, which calculated that an H2 Hummer was better for the planet than a prius.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guess is also that insurers realise that diesels are no longer being  produced in any numbers (manufacturers can appear virtuous by dropping diesels, has the great advantage of reducing overheads by reducing engine options). Also, despite offering policies based on age, car etc, there will be a baseline overall cost. My guess that is pretty important in determining how much the premiums are, and keeping shareholders happy. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that companies took advantage of high inflation rates to push their margins up, and I suspect that once they done it once, the temptation to carry on is irresistible. After all bigger margins, bigger profits, happier shareholders and bigger executive recompense packages, what's not to like? (think water companies). Not being political, all based on published information. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I've just started my policy with my new insurer.  All the bells and whistles of my old policy (protected No Claims Bonus, legal protection, uninsured driver cover, windscreen cover, contents cover etc) at a little over a quarter of the cost of my old policy.

 

I then phoned my current insurer to cancel my current policy.   Lo and behold, they suddenly found that they could insure me for £5 a month less than the new insurer!  😮  I declined.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My diesel insurance went up from £265 to £401 this year. Only been with them 54 years and only cost them the odd windscreen. A 'mutual' concern that got out of the business and hived it off to brokers under the ECO banner. Shopped around, got it for £220 with the AA. They are just brokers too.

My petrol changes at month end. Done through a broker, who initially quoted me less than half my usual insurer. This year it has gone up, by a whole £6.00, though they have changed the underwriter to save me money. Strange how diesels cost less to repair than 'eco unfriendly' electrics.

 

I know if either car gets a whack, it will be totalled, so I go for a cheaper option, and stuff customer loyalty.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I know if either car gets a whack, it will be totalled,

 

That concerns me as well.  A neighbour had a six year old diesel in great condition with low mileage. A passing car took the driver's door mirror off.  The insurance company wrote it off.   If something like that happens to mine, I doubt I would get more that two hundred quid for it.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a similar vein, my petrol car has a small dent in the driver's door, about half the size of my little finger nail. There when I bought it, right by the door handle so it catches the eye. Went to a PDR shop last week to see if they could push it out. Got a quote. They wanted to fill it and respray the door and blend the quarter panel.

£587 + VAT!  You know what? I have lived with it for 2 years.....it can stay there.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My partner (a she) has consistently had cheaper car insurance than me (I'm a he).

 

We passed our driving tests at about the same time, drive similar yearly mileage, her car is 50% more expensive than mine, we work at the same company, and live together. We both have the same no claims, yet her car insurance is cheaper than mine. If I add her to my insurance, the cost decreases, if I add myself to her car insurance, the cost increases.

 

I passed my driving test first time with one minor, she took two attempts - on what basis can an insurer justify making my insurance more expensive!?

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...