Weird revell Victor kit modification

8 hours ago, JeffCooper63 said:

Can I just say publicly here that I'm gratefull obviously for the well meant advice, and if I was good enough to complete the "perfect" airfix kit, maybe I'd have bought one, but I know my limitations, and therefore whilst I'm learning, I'd rather waste a smaller amount of money, and learn more. If there's anyone here that as their 4th kit maybe would have been happy to buy the airfix one, and not lose it's "perfectness" in the making, then I'll be hoping for advice from them in the future - but surely no-one other than a kit salesman would say I was taking the wrong road whilst I am where I am ?

The revell Victor is not a beginner's kit. It is old, crude and fits poorly.

Your idea to buy a cheaper kit to learn with is good, but not all kits are made equal.  Big kits don't always translate to more difficult builds. The Airfix Victor is a pretty easy kit to build in my opinion having built three of them. Perhaps it would be a little challenging for a fourth kit, but it's not something you need years of experience to put together. 

I guess the point is, don't be discouraged if you don't manage with the Revell Victors, the kit is not remotely representative of the quality of more modern kits. Don't be put down if you're not pleased with the results, just have fun, take your time and use these kits as an opportunity to develop important skills. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JeffCooper63 said:

Can I just say publicly here that I'm gratefull obviously for the well meant advice, and if I was good enough to complete the "perfect" airfix kit, maybe I'd have bought one, but I know my limitations, and therefore whilst I'm learning, I'd rather waste a smaller amount of money, and learn more. If there's anyone here that as their 4th kit maybe would have been happy to buy the airfix one, and not lose it's "perfectness" in the making, then I'll be hoping for advice from them in the future - but surely no-one other than a kit salesman would say I was taking the wrong road whilst I am where I am ?

I absolutely see your point in your reluctance to spend a substantial amount on a great kit and have fear all along to mess it up. Here you have two mules that will likely teach you a lot, even if in the end you decide to bin either or both. But you will gain valuable experience. One idea if it takes your fancy: Look for either the Aircraft Archive Post War Jets volume with the Victor drawings by Arthur Bentley, or one of the SMI mags that had them printed (possibly over two issues). You could go from the drawings and make corrections where needed, add detail where needed, and/or even make your first attempts at rescribing a kit (if it gives you pleasure - it's not difficult, but will improve the Matchbox's peculiar "twin line" surface detail no end). And it will also assist you in improving just about the ugliest aspect of the kit, the dreadful intake interiors with their splitter plates that do not quite meet where they are supposed to be and look like some slabs nailed into the intakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 7:12 PM, Dave Swindell said:

For those wondering what this is all about, I think the upper fuselage is the one under discussion. Definitely looks like it wouldn't sit on standard undercarriage.

s-l1600.jpg

Wow, that's a heck of a lot of Squadron Green Stuff!!!

No idea what was going on there.

XVTonker :pilot:

On 4/20/2024 at 1:12 PM, Dave Swindell said:

For those wondering what this is all about, I think the upper fuselage is the one under discussion. Definitely looks like it wouldn't sit on standard undercarriage.

s-l1600.jpg

Perhaps it was the previous owner’s idea of a Victor fire-fighter with a huge borate or water tank?

Well whatever it was, it's gone now. I can't quite believe that that whole "tank" thing was made up of a few plastic squares and white silicon covered with the green stuff !! Is that a standard customization practice ?

On 23/04/2024 at 16:28, tempestfan said:

I absolutely see your point in your reluctance to spend a substantial amount on a great kit and have fear all along to mess it up. Here you have two mules that will likely teach you a lot, even if in the end you decide to bin either or both. But you will gain valuable experience. One idea if it takes your fancy: Look for either the Aircraft Archive Post War Jets volume with the Victor drawings by Arthur Bentley, or one of the SMI mags that had them printed (possibly over two issues). You could go from the drawings and make corrections where needed, add detail where needed, and/or even make your first attempts at rescribing a kit (if it gives you pleasure - it's not difficult, but will improve the Matchbox's peculiar "twin line" surface detail no end). And it will also assist you in improving just about the ugliest aspect of the kit, the dreadful intake interiors with their splitter plates that do not quite meet where they are supposed to be and look like some slabs nailed into the intakes.

Just to let you know I'm now at that stage - great idea about the mag having the plans, I couldn't find them anywhere. My current plan is to build both variants, Tanker and Bomber, and then wonder where in the hell I can display them !!

18 hours ago, JeffCooper63 said:

Just to let you know I'm now at that stage - great idea about the mag having the plans, I couldn't find them anywhere. My current plan is to build both variants, Tanker and Bomber, and then wonder where in the hell I can display them !!

December 1978 and reprinted November 1983, according to this lovely page by @meindert.

• Like 2

Well after some hours of pleasurable, but frustrating "improvement" on number 1 kit, I can honestly say that I'm beginning to think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all !! I can see these getting completed possibly by my grand-kids, maybe !!

A while ago I remember someone posted photos on BM of a Vulcan they’d modelled as a derelict fire dump wreck. It looked superb. Not sure whether that could be inspiration for something to consider for one of these old Victors?

• Like 1

Hi when I end up with a kit I doubt is worth building like the pastikit javelin I buid them as a desk model concentrating on paint finish rather than detail 

Odly when I stair at the collection the javelin always gets a second stair

• Like 1