[WIP][AFV CLUB 1/35 ] SCORPION

Hi there!

It's been already quite some time that I keep telling myself to start posting again some WIP of mine on BM.

Last time I did it was about ten years ago I believe!

The release a few years ago by STAR Decals of two sheets on CVR (T) Scorpions & Scimitar makes me dig out the Scorpion's box from the stash a few month ago, as I thought it would be perfect to restart armour modelling. But well, I had to wait till last week before I kick myself enough to open the box and start cutting sprues!

But then it took about two days to build it! It could have been even one day if I only took some time to study and plan...

But there it is. I don't know much about the real vehicle, and even less about the kit, but it looks nice, with a good details level.

The main problem to me being the plastic quality, which remind me about chewing gum!

scorp_10.jpg

• Like 10

Nice start!  👌 

I built the Scimitar from AFV club .... I know what you mean about the plastic! 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

Hi Keith, any drawbacks I should know about?

I've heard that the tracks were a little bit on the short side, making them too tight once in place!

John, nice to see you too!

I've been away far too long, I really miss BM!

• Like 1

By the way, while I was looking for picture of the real thing, I came upon those two.

At first I thought it was the same family of vehicle, but I must be wrong.

Yet the story behind will maybe ring a bell to some of you.

It was July 1995, and I was about to leave Sarajevo to go back to France after a five month deployment. Situation was tense, and the airport was closed, with every flight canceled, as militias were targeting aircrafts on final, so we had to leave Bosnia by road to Croatia, where we could take a flight to France via Split airport.

This was done in three sequences, first leaving Sarajevo under armour (in a VAB), to get to a point about 30km away on the road to Croatia, where we could spend the night. Then early the next day second sequence to Split with a truck convoy, and third sequence the day after from Split to Paris in a FAF DC-8.

At the same time, a  NATO Quick Reaction Force was entering Bosnia via the same road to deploy around Sarajevo, to bring the Serbs back to the negociations.

To help in their deployment, radio relay were established all along the road by the British Army, and one of them was set up right on the spot where we were to spend the night.

This is how I spent my last night in Bosnia, drinking tea in the Warrior (?) with the Brits!

I believe that there was also some single malt at some point, but I can't be afirmative....

So, what are those vehicles????

trucan11.jpg

trucan10.jpg

2 hours ago, Antoine said:

Hi Keith, any drawbacks I should know about?

I've heard that the tracks were a little bit on the short side, making them too tight once in place!

Antoine ... the supplied tracks were awful, so I used AFV clubs individual link tracks ..... 

20230303_123105

A bit fiddly, but look good. 👌 

Keith 😁 

10 hours ago, Antoine said:

By the way, while I was looking for picture of the real thing, I came upon those two.

At first I thought it was the same family of vehicle, but I must be wrong.

Yet the story behind will maybe ring a bell to some of you.

It was July 1995, and I was about to leave Sarajevo to go back to France after a five month deployment. Situation was tense, and the airport was closed, with every flight canceled, as militias were targeting aircrafts on final, so we had to leave Bosnia by road to Croatia, where we could take a flight to France via Split airport.

This was done in three sequences, first leaving Sarajevo under armour (in a VAB), to get to a point about 30km away on the road to Croatia, where we could spend the night. Then early the next day second sequence to Split with a truck convoy, and third sequence the day after from Split to Paris in a FAF DC-8.

At the same time, a  NATO Quick Reaction Force was entering Bosnia via the same road to deploy around Sarajevo, to bring the Serbs back to the negociations.

To help in their deployment, radio relay were established all along the road by the British Army, and one of them was set up right on the spot where we were to spend the night.

This is how I spent my last night in Bosnia, drinking tea in the Warrior (?) with the Brits!

I believe that there was also some single malt at some point, but I can't be afirmative....

So, what are those vehicles????

trucan11.jpg

trucan10.jpg

Top is a 432 ….with racal mast and bottom is warrior recovery veh .

Posted (edited)

I didn't even check for an aftermarket set of tracks...

Thanks, I'll see later if I really need one. Or two, as I have also a Scimitar somewhere.

Edited by Antoine

1 hour ago, viper-30 said:

Top is a 432 ….with racal mast and bottom is warrior recovery veh .

Racal is an arty radar, IIRW?

On the APC version?

Posted (edited)

Nothing specific to say about the build.

So it's primer time!

20240412.jpg

A friend of mine send me a few pics.

So here we go for an Honduran CRV(T)!

scorpi12.jpg

scorpi11.jpg

scorpi10.jpg

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 4

Hi Antoine,nice work and a very interesting paint scheme👍

Onthe track problem you could ‘pin’ them,

8A0B73F3-0084-467B-B04E-E34F4EE2C34D

You can just see the pins above the second road wheel and just in front of forth one.

HTH

Ivan

• Like 2