Mini art LGOC B-type British 3T lorry

Now I've finally put the McLaren MP4/4 to bed, time to devote my attention to this GB. Throwing my hat in the ring with my LGOC-B type lorry.

During WW1 a lot of London General Omnibus Company (LGOC) buses and chassis were converted into lorries and sent to move supplies and troops to the front After the war a lot of them ended up in civilian hands. Rugged and reliable, around 14,000 were produced and utilised. Top speed was a heady 14mph with the power provided by a 5.3 litre 4 cyl engine producing 30 to 40 BHP in it's various forms at 5 to 6 miles per gallon.

1/35 is not my usual scale, but I just thought it was an interesting looking kit and bought it on a whim a couple of years ago, and it is well suited for this GB. There are 3 different colour schemes to choose from, not decided on which one yet though.

Just a preview pic and I'll hopefully start sticking bits together tonight :) 

2024-04-17_10-28-47

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Definitely an interesting choice. Maybe paint the original military color underneath the newer color ? Make it look like it was transferred straight like that and the paint is wearing through in spots. 

It's a thought, but we'll have to see how it goes as my paint effect skills like weathering etc are limited as I tend to build more F1 stuff lately, but I might have a drybrush around with some green on the wear points 🤔

Ian :) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Redstaff said:

It's a thought, but we'll have to see how it goes as my paint effect skills like weathering etc are limited as I tend to build more F1 stuff lately, but I might have a drybrush around with some green on the wear points 🤔

Ian :) 

Another Idea would be paint the wear points green or whatever the camouflage was. Then clear those areas to protect them. Once done spray your main color and hit it with 1000 or 2000 wet/dry lightly enough to wear the new color off. It will look like scuffing and you get the desired effect. 

• Like 1

Great subject, Redstaff!

Don't know how this might translate to spray work (I brush on acrylics), but building up a solid color by repeating glaze coats can give things a nice lived-in look, that's not quite the same everywhere without being obviously so.

Best of luck at something new!

James

• Thanks 1

This is a nice little truck. I had my eye on it for this GB, but went for something else eventually. Also, looks like this is a good kit to start your MiniArt experience, if you've never built one 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Great little kit by the looks of it, stuck a few bits together tonight. Engine has a nice detail to it in this scale, chassis was tricky trying to line all the bits up and get straight and level, but I think it's OK. 

Would have preferred it in 1/24th, but I'm coping with all the small pieces up to yet.

Off to GCR tomorrow to play trains, so might not get any more done this weekend. 

20240419_203302 20240419_203435

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

chassis was tricky trying to line all the bits up and get straight and level, but I think it's OK. 

Would have preferred it in 1/24th, but I'm coping with all the small pieces up to yet.

Im surprised they don't provide a jig ? On most new armor kits they do, I would think something like a frame which needs to be square should also. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im surprised they don't provide a jig ? 

That would have been helpful, but not included unfortunately 😕 

I glued one side, left it half hour then glued the other while I still had a bit of flex, had to twist and pull about a bit, but seems to sit flat 

Ian 😀 

• Like 3

On the surface it looks like not much progress has been made, but miniart seem to have a knack of turning a part that could be moulded in a couple of parts into an assembly that has multiple small fiddly little parts that all need cutting off without destruction and cleaning up before adding, all with the added threat of the carpet monster lurking in the shadows to claim any dropped pieces, would be bad enough in larger scales, but 1/35 it's a bit of overkill 😀 

There are 59 pieces in the picture to give an idea what my aging eyes and sausage fingers are going through, I reckon they could have cut that down to about 25 without any loss of detail 😅

20240425_105809

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Redstaff said:

There are 59 pieces in the picture to give an idea what my aging eyes and sausage fingers are going through, I reckon they could have cut that down to about 25 without any loss of detail 😅

They seem to think that we love doing it like this....🫣

I'm not seeing any brass micro-bits, though. Maybe you've been spared that ordeal 😀

15 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

They seem to think that we love doing it like this....🫣

I'm not seeing any brass micro-bits, though. Maybe you've been spared that ordeal 😀

The PE bits will be added after I've painted. The valve handle will look better in brass and the ignition leads with their ends and the plugs also 😅

• Like 2

• Redstaff changed the title to Mini art LGOC B-type British 3T lorry

This one looks to be going well for you Ian regardless of the myriad tiny bits it consists of.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Col. said:

This one looks to be going well for you Ian regardless of the myriad tiny bits it consists of.

Cheers Col

I managed to get a bit of paint thrown at it yesterday, will post some pics later. I must admit I'm starting to really study the instructions closely as if it's really tiny and can't be seen on the final model, it'll stay on the sprue 🤣

Ian 😀 

Got some paint on the bits I've done up to yet, black on the chassis then a bit of weathering with tamiya weathering masters to break it up a bit. Gun metal on the engine and under tray, ally highlights. Wheels in black primer then tyres in tyre black ready for Hull red at some point. 

20240428_133244 20240428_133232

• Like 10

Half decent weekend tbh on this, managed to get it on the wheels and in paint.

Seems easier to manage when it's on its wheels 🤔

Hopefully build the sub assemblies and add one at a time 😀

20240428_224235

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

This is shaping up nicely, Redstaff. Looks like something weighty....

James

Thanks, I agree, things were overengineered and made to last in those days 😀

Ian 😀 

Only a little bit of progress last night, managed to get the radiator done and the bulkhead to the cab floor :)

The detail on the radiator is another bit of miniart overkill, there are 16 pieces to get to this stage and another 2 still to be fitted to mount it 

Even the little wingnut on the radiator filler cap is a separate piece 😮

The bulkhead/floor is only 4 pieces however which includes the 2 bits of PE for the lamp mounts 😅

20240501_045440

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress is a move in the correct direction Ian and you're doing tidy work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

A little progress is a move in the correct direction Ian and you're doing tidy work.

Cheers Col

I have got the radiator painted and mounted now and the cab and body made and in primer ready for top coat, but it's too warm at the minute in the back bedroom (mancave)

I'll try and take a few pics and put them up :) 

Ian 

• Like 2

Quick progress pic as promised. Bodywork assembled and in primer, floorboards done (under masking tape) seat and setback done in leather look. Mudguards in black primer and radiator fitted, just need to paint filler cap. 

Ian 😀 

20240509_200650

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming to this one late, but am particularly interested as I'll be doing the same in the Made in Ukraine GB.

You're doing a great job Ian and it looks like a nice kit 👍

Cheers

• Thanks 1