After some prevarication I think I'd like to put this into the group build....

MG Magnette K3 Airfix

I got this as part of an auction bundle of car kits and would very much like to get it done. But there's a problem. 

I made a rudimentary start back in December, assembly of the main bodywork parts, then quickly realised that several key components were missing. 

I have no instructions but I found the required document on Scalemates.com, no problem. But study of the drawings showed that I have no chassis parts, rear axle or suspension, or front axle arrangements. 

It was like someone had built up the chassis assembly and then put it on a shelf while the rest of the kit stayed in its box. And I got the box!

I think I have the wherewithal to try a scratch built solution and the added impetus of being in a group build might just be the motivation to see it through (or fail gallantly 🤩)

Here's what I've got...

20240415_221323

And this is the basic shell with the petrol tank attached to the rear...

20240415_221401

That's well under the 25% threshold, I'd say, although if the hosts say otherwise I shall reconsider my choice, of course 😉 

It'd be great to get my little MG sorted out 

• Like 13

Good luck with the missing parts. You could put the finished body on a trailer, though, pretending it‘s being taken to a garage.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Toryu said:

You could put the finished body on a trailer, though,

Let's call this Plan B😎

I'm cutting and glueing various bits of stock styrene in various thickness and I've taken a speculative best guess at the curved chassis members up front. 

It's rudimentary at the moment but I think I'm on the right track. Also trying my hand at making some leaf springs. 

I'll take some pictures when I've got something worthwhile...

• Like 4

Both your current work and the potential of Plan B have the makings of a good result Rob.

• Thanks 1

After some considerable cutting and filing and trial and error,  I have one of these...

20240416_211826

20240416_211906

I think I've got the arched front piece about right and it fits to the shape of the bodywork . There's no engine sump or anything underneath,  but the front is sheeted with thin, flexible styrene and the supercharger is fitted with only a touch of filler. There's a shielded opening beside the supercharger which houses an SU carburettor and I made a long hole which recieved a piece of squeezed plastic tube. 

One step at a time with this 😇

20240416_212600

I've tried the fit of the radiator piece--  it has to attach to the front of the bonnet and just butt up against the back of the supercharger box. Seems OK 👍 

Some blue paint was tried to see how it looks with the rest of the bodywork, but of course it's all thoroughly wrecked again. 

Never mind, clearly the paintwork is a minor issue to be sorted later. 

So there's something, some kind of framework to attach other things to, by way of a start. 😎

• Like 13

Hi Rob,

Sounds a little challenging. You probably know this already but if the old paint is enamel, spray-on oven cleaner works pretty well as a paint stripper if you want a clean start!.

Pete

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Never mind, clearly the paintwork is a minor issue to be sorted later. 

Hi Rob,

Sounds a little challenging. You probably know this already but if the old paint is enamel, spray-on oven cleaner works pretty well as a paint stripper if you want a clean start!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Taking another look at the instructions (a pdf file...) I realised that I need a cutout along the floor pan to give me a tunnel for the drive shaft to the differential. 

I started with a row of pilot holes...

20240416_220657

...and then cut away at the plastic, shaving it back to expose the tunnel. 

20240416_221400

Quite thin stock plastic is used for the floor so pretty easy going 

Then I started making up some kind of gearbox and the bottom of the engine block. 

20240416_231851

The gearbox has an end plate now which goes up into the tunnel and has a piece of stretched sprue protruding--  this will accept the end of a length of Ali tube as the shaft. 

It's all a bit sketchy and not particularly true to what's under the car, but it's better to have something built rather than flat plastic. A supercharger is added up front under the fairing and a strip to one side reaching under that tube opening, so I'll be able to add some sort of SU carburettor item onto that. 

20240416_231750

It certainly brings you up close and personal to the layout and structure of the subject matter when you have to build it yourself!🙉

• Like 13

This is the profile I've got with various bits added under the chassis. 

20240418_214530

That's probably a bit too much engine block judging by the position of the exhaust exit, but I think I'll leave well enough alone. 

I had a creative moment just now and fabricated a bonnet strap "anchor"  ..

20240418_221315

With a little hole in the side to take the wire pin, it fits like this and reaches up between the exhaust pipes 

20240418_221559

Then the protruding wire will get snipped off. I'd better think about a strap replacement to fix onto it. 

This is the 1st effort at making a rear leafspring...

20240418_223301

There are little pieces of Ali tube incorporated in the ends with the plastic wrapped around, and a best guess at the height of the axle hole above the spring. The ends will have wires to fit onto, wires fixed into the chassis members. Measurements and position are a bit critical with all this and I'm working on a wing and a prayer 😎 But I'll give it a try.

• Like 14

I'm inching forward with the chassis construction here, and the makings of the rear suspension is materialising. 

20240420_234513

I can run Ali tube through the holes in the 2 upstands which will take brake drums. Through this tube a smaller diameter axle tube can slide and this will take the wheels. A differential unit can slide onto the the outer tube. 

Meanwhile I made some progress on the floor, with seats fixed and 2 pedals fitted. Just the 2 because these cars were fitted out with a pre-selecter gearbox and that has an impact on the gear lever which looks more like an automatic selecter, and a noticeably different shape on top of the tunnel. I'm having to make something to convey the idea. 

But here's the wire and springs assembly  ...

20240420_234541

Extensions needed to be scarfed on to the tail ends of the chassis members as mine were too short.  Because they need to protrude out under the fuel tank to accept the spare wheel structure. So I've had to take a look at this procedure. 

20240420_234709

Several tiny bits are involved alongside the spare wheel. It's those 2 flanges at the bottom that need to attach to the ends of the chassis. 

So I'm juggling several pieces, some of them by Airfix and some by me, and trying to get them to fall together in a meaningful way and in the right order 🙉

• Like 12

I think I've sorted the rear suspension and back axle, and hoping I have a reasonable ride height when the wheels go on. 

20240423_232105

As you can see, the differential is VERY nonscale but it's on. 

The distance of the brake drums from the bodywork is an estimate. The kit exhaust pipe is designed to fit in the gap between the wheel and body, although many exhausts in photos arch right up and over the mudguard 

20240423_232124

20240423_232144

This is the structure underneath...

20240423_232225

And a start has been made on the front end. I made my springs with the little tube pieces embedded just like the back pair, and then realised they weren't needed up front. They don't hang outside the chassis members, so I flattened the front ends and I'm making wire links for the back attachments. 

The main axle is brass wire to facilitate bending and adjusting. It fits through an Ali tube before it's cranked, and that tube straddles across between the springs. Luckily my engine structure underneath was just about right to give a central attachment area for the axle. 

20240423_232304

Again, the measurements are done on a wing and a prayer but the brass wire should give me some scope for getting the right look. 

The other little achievement is the fabrication of a cover sheet for the back of the car, what I'd call a tonneau. Just some decent fine paper treated with pva to hold its shape, and a coat of..... ermm I think it was mig acrylic "tyre and rubber".

20240423_232424

I think I'll forget about fixing plastic down in the space above the back axle. No point really when this goes on. 😎

• Like 10

Here's why I'm keen to get this one done and happy to go the extra mile with ½ a kit. My Dad was a keen MG fan. 

In the early 60s he traded in his Hillman Minx and arrived home with a black MG Magnette saloon and that was the family car for many years. 

2024-04-24_12-11-38

Weekend drives, touring holidays around Ireland and the English Lake District.... epic journeys. Camping, picnics, B&B breaks, all in this great car. 

He would have been in his early 20s when the K3 types were racing and winning and he'd definitely been at the Ulster Tourist Trophy races at the Ards circuit, seeing the the little MGs cleaning up. And the Dundrod course too, and the Isle of Man. 

So he'd have been well pleased to get his hands on this later, more sedate MG beauty. "The poor man's Jaguar" he described it. 

20240424_115326

There was a later versionoftheMagnettesaloon, a B type, with a wider back window and 2-tone paintwork, but this was the original in full gloss black. Stylish 😎 Even with a roof rack on and loaded. 

20240424_115803

So, in case you're wondering why I'd bother with a ½ kit..... there it is 😍

I recently picked up the MG TC kit in 1.18 scale by Academy Minicraft and will be having another go at that at some point. I did one many years ago, bought with the aid of my student grant, hope to make a better job of it next time.

As for the current build, I have several bits in hand, mostly pertaining to the front wheels. All a bit sketchy and adjustable right now but I think I've got a handle on the situation 🙉

• Like 11

Great car and great memories you have there! Still a stylish looking vehicle your family car. I watched a Magnette like the model you're building race at some vintage races here 25 years ago and it was great. I had an ice blue MGB 63 myself from 98 to 2011 or so. A real banger but I loved it. 

Looking forward to seeing your build progress!

• Like 1

Some progress to report on the MG. The whole back axle assembly is fixed. I have a feeling the ride is slightly lower than Airfix intended and the tyres are only just clearing the pins on the bodywork which take the mudguards. But I'm happy with the look, and manufacturers often have the ride height too high (for my taste anyway...) and the car looks empty. 

20240426_220936

Here's what I've got...

20240426_220958

Which brings me to the front wheels. I like a bit of steering deflection if possible, and I like it if the knockoff wingnuts can rotate with the wheels rather than using them as glued on wheel retainers. So I've been fooling around in this respect, bearing in mind that the main axle is bent brass wire. I think I have something 😎

20240426_221418

On the left is the basic brake hub disc, which is enhanced with some bits to indicate the kingpin and a steering arm at the bottom which should be able to take a trackrod end. I've also drilled for a brake hose, fingers crossed on that. 

A short piece of Ali tube goes through the disc and the wheel. The tube and the brake will be glued to the car axle (wire).

Here's the clincher though....

I found some brass nails and one fits in the outside of the tube nicely but the head is just slightly too big to let the wheel come off 😉 . So in sequence the nail gets clipped so there's about 2mm of nail shank and it's ca'ed into the tube, then the dome of the head is filed flat to a minimum . The wheel slides onto the tube when the glue is safely set, with the very outside of the hole reamed to sit over the nail head. That means the wingnut can be glued to the wheel eventually, staying clear of the nail head. 

The brake drum then fits onto the tube and pushed up against the drum face on the wheel and a dot of ca applied and the Ali tube cut close. Here's a zoom on the outside of the wheel...

2024-04-26_10-57-44

That leaves the tube empty for most of its length and the brass axle gets trimmed to an appropriate length and slides into the tube, ultimately with a drop of glue. The wheel can still rotate on the Ali tube (is the plan 🫣)

I've done one of them and we're looking OK so far. So now I have this to show...

20240426_221554

...and the brake looks like this...

20240426_221748

The wire axle isn't glued in its tube yet and can still rotate, and the wheel assembly isn't glued to the wire either so it's all still adjustable but I think I'm closing in on a solution. 

I'll do the other wheel, slide it on, and start making some final decisions. The trackrod for instance may be made in 2 pieces and not worry too much about joining them underneath. Brake lines can be thin solder wire which is very bendable. 

Congratulations by the way, if you read to the end of THAT lot.....🤪✔️

• Like 15

Actually a good job I caught this thread, I had a hazy memory I may have a kit of this, somewhere.. Bit of a search upstairs revealed, in a box of bits, a complete unmade Airfix MG Magnette 😁

I believe there's a "cars" GB on the horizon too... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Bit of a search upstairs revealed, in a box of bits, a complete unmade Airfix MG Magnette 😁

Excellent job!! AND you've got all the parts 😅 That is definitely a bonus. 

Well, if a Cars GB turns up I have a couple of other options I'll keep a look out for it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Excellent job!! AND you've got all the parts 😅 That is definitely a bonus. 

Well, if a Cars GB turns up I have a couple of other options I'll keep a look out for it 

Shame I hadn't found it earlier in your build, I could have sent you pics and dimensions etc of all your missing bits. 

They're currently punting a cars GB suggestion under "hello John gotta new motor" no doubt will be popular so I'd think it'd certainly go ahead! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

currently punting a cars GB

Well, there's an Airfix classic GB coming right up, though I can see you're indication in the chat for the Dennis fire engine and the B type bus. 

Ah there's plenty of time....😅

Another Heller GB scheduled too I see. Have you tried any of their cars?Usually in 1.24 scale, quite old-school style kits and very enjoyable. 

The previous Heller group was epic in size and scope,  much love for those old, quirky kits on here 

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Well, there's an Airfix classic GB coming right up, though I can see you're indication in the chat for the Dennis fire engine and the B type bus. 

Ah there's plenty of time....😅

Another Heller GB scheduled too I see. Have you tried any of their cars?Usually in 1.24 scale, quite old-school style kits and very enjoyable. 

The previous Heller group was epic in size and scope,  much love for those old, quirky kits on here 

I've no Heller stuff unfortunately, apart from a 1/72 hurricane that I already volunteered for the Heller GB !  I remember they did quite a few cars at one point though, don't think I ever made one, not that I recall anyway .. 

• Like 1