Crusader Mk.l. 1/35th scale. Italeri.

Great work so far John. Very informative. Your research and methods are brilliant.

You gotta love pewter foil! Use it all the time now thank to your tips. 
Paul

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Great work so far John. Very informative. Your research and methods are brilliant.

You gotta love pewter foil! Use it all the time now thank to your tips. 
Paul

Thanks Paul. Glad you like it. Yes, I agree. Pewter foil is very versatile.

14 hours ago, StuartH said:

Very tidy indeed and progressing really well.

Coming on a treat 👍

Many thanks Stuart. Much appreciated.

7 hours ago, flyboy2610 said:

You've got a really nice build going there!

Thanks a lot flyboy. Glad you like it.

22 minutes ago, NIK122 said:

Great stuff John. The bin lids look excellent. I've not heard of pewter foil before. Is it rigid enough to make open lids etc?

Hi Nik, and thank you very much. Yes, you can make open lids from pewter foil. So long as you don't put any pressure on it. 

John.

• Like 1

As always, so much attention to detail.

Looking at halfbuild kits in all different plastic colors, fitted neatly together is oddly sattisfying. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

As always, so much attention to detail.

Looking at halfbuild kits in all different plastic colors, fitted neatly together is oddly sattisfying. 

Thanks Maddoxx, very nice of you to say so. I've got three Italeri Crusaders, two Mk.ls and a Mk.ll. One Mk.l is in grey plastic, the second one is in olive green plastic, and the Mk.ll is in their usual sandy yellow plastic. So when I mix and match, it does tend to stand out.

John.

• Like 1

On 16/05/2024 at 15:23, edjbartos said:

Caught up with this one again John, I really like what your doing with this build, super detail work, it’s looking very good indeed..

Ed

Thanks Ed. Glad you like it. It's not a bad kit, considering it's age, but definitely needs some AM items.

John.

• Like 1

I wanted to depict the model with the turret hatch open and a crew member sitting in the opening, but changed my mind when I realised how much extra work it would entail. So instead I just assembled the turret halves and added the hatch cover in the closed position.

There are a few items to add from the Eduard sheet, plus a couple from the kit, which, once in place, could easily be knocked off, so I decided to build all the bulkier parts of the turret first, and then add the smaller items last.

So I started at the front. When I removed all of the parts for the mantlet, I noticed (to my eyes anyway), that the main gun seemed to be a bit too long and a little on the thick side. Comparing it against some 1/35th scale drawings of a Mk.l and Mk.ll, it was definitely too long, and yes, a little on the thick side. But fortune was shining on me today, because when I looked through all my spares, lo and behold I had a 2pdr aluminium barrel, courtesy of Accurate Armour. So out with the razor saw to cut the plastic barrel from the trunnion. It was then drilled until the hole was large enough to accept the end of the metal barrel. I used super glue gel to fix it in place as this gave me the time to make sure that it was pointing forward.

Next was the BESA, and here Italeri have made a faux par. According to the instructions, it should be on the LHS of the mantlet, but in actual fact, it was on the right. Not a problem as far as assembly was concerned. I just had to turn the trunnion upside down, and bingo! It was on the correct side. The BESA barrel itself was again the kit offering, and it got the same treatment as the one in the auxiliary turret.

9gvpj1E.jpg

Assembling the front of the turret is a bit of a juggling act, as you have to clamp the trunnion pins between the front plate of the turret and the mantlet cover. Once accomplished, I dabbed a spot of MEK on the pins to add a bit of friction to the raising and lowering of the main gun.

One little job that I did before gluing the turret front into place was to cut a piece of black plastic to size and glue it to the back of the front plate. This is because of the (unwanted) see through effect when looking at the cover. The front plate, complete with the armament was then glued onto the front of the turret.

haPoQIv.jpg

PBDaYlb.jpg

I removed the small moulding from the leading edge of the turret, which was for the vane site. I replaced it with a small strip of card, and then super glued the vane site from the Eduard set.

The periscope on the top middle of the turret is from the kit, with a small piece of black card glued inside for a lens. I could have used the Eduard one, but it's multipart, and a lot of faffing around.

After gluing the two halves of the turret bin together, I thought that it looked a bit bland. What is supposed to be the hinge looks nothing like one, so using a sharp blade, I removed the moulding and then cleaned it up with a sanding stick. It was replaced with the etched Eduard item, along with the two latches on the top of the bin, which incidentally, Italeri made no effort to depict on the kit parts. Before gluing the bin in place, I glued an oblong of 10thou card onto the back or the turret. This was because the two latches, glued to the top of the bin, made it stand away from the turret. So by gluing the card on the back, it allowed the bin to sit flat.

kpJlBfx.jpg

Sometimes, I don't see the need for butchering a piece of the kit so that etched brass can be added, and this was true in the case of the shovel. The latches, complete with very acceptable wing nuts, looked fine to me, so therefore the shovel was glued into place after a little clean up.

Djn9CDf.jpg

That's it for this update. I've still got some more turret work to show, but I'll leave that for tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 15

Great progress John and liking all the little additions 👍

• Thanks 1

Another great update from the master John, more and more detail being added

Roger

• Thanks 1

Yep, it's looking really good. The turret is quite a futuristic shape, to my eye, despite it's age. It must have been really cramped inside!?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, badger said:

Great progress John and liking all the little additions 👍

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Another great update from the master John, more and more detail being added

Roger

2 hours ago, NIK122 said:

Yep, it's looking really good. The turret is quite a futuristic shape, to my eye, despite it's age. It must have been really cramped inside!?

Thank you. Your comments are very much appreciated.

John.

• Like 1

Managed to do some more on my MkIII today. Slowly coming together but for a 1976 kit the detail is actually really rather nice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, badger said:

Managed to do some more on my MkIII today. Slowly coming together but for a 1976 kit the detail is actually really rather nice.

Have to agree with you there Ben, although it's let down in a couple of areas by ejection pin marks. The ones on the small round parts of the oil bath filters in particular are bad. I'm surprised that someone hasn't come up with some resin replacements for them.

16 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Another superbly detailed build John, really enjoying this one.

Many thanks BF. I'm glad that you are enjoying it. 

John.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 15/04/2024 at 11:10, Bullbasket said:

Hi John,

Looking forward to this cam scheme mate, Track links I am going to guess a very simple fix, couple of 20 or 30mm diameter bolts welded to track guard with a piece of flat bar over the tracks and just tightened down on both bolts.      And after I posted I saw the pics later on doh late again 😉 

Cheers

Mark

On 15/04/2024 at 11:10, Bullbasket said:

Many thanks to all of you for your comments. I'm just going to have to look at as many photos of Crusaders as I can to see if I can work out how those links are attached.

John.

Edited by mbthejester

5 hours ago, mbthejester said:

Hi John,

Looking forward to this cam scheme mate, Track links I am going to guess a very simple fix, couple of 20 or 30mm diameter bolts welded to track guard with a piece of flat bar over the tracks and just tightened down on both bolts.      And after I posted I saw the pics later on doh late again

I'm glad that I', not the only one who does that. Thanks a lot Mark. Getting very close to the painting stage now.

John.

• Like 1

Great work John 👍🏻 excellent attention to detail and your accuracy and neatness is first rate 👏

Andrew

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, APA said:

Great work John 👍🏻 excellent attention to detail and your accuracy and neatness is first rate 👏

Andrew

Many thanks Andrew for the encouraging words.

John.

• Like 1

The four lifting eyes on the top edge of the turret are also OK as far as I'm concerned, plus the bolt detail is better than the etched version. After a clean up they were fine, and they also, to my eyes, appeared to be more like the correct thickness.

Managed to snap the sighting vane off, as I knew I would, so it's staying off until last thing.

The base for the aerial for the No.19 set, on the RHS has got an ejector pin mark, right where it's impossible to remove with a knife, so instead, I had to drill it out with ever larger drill bits. Once this was done, I cut off the moulded aerial, and then drilled the conical base to accept an AA carbon fibre aerial later on.

The same was done to the aerial base over on the LHS.

Also added here were the two etched pieces which I assume are rests for the hatch cover in the open position.

JvE9jKO.jpg

A few etched parts added around the turret, including a bracket of some description on the LHS. I'd obviously used the one from the Eduard set, so a length of scrap etch was cut and bent to shape, using the kits item as a template. In the Eduard instructions, it says to add a 5mm rod, so I added a piece of 20thou rod. I have no idea what this item is for. Any ideas?

ZGMEX3y.jpg

The most fiddly item that I worked on was the spotlight on the RHS of the turret. Italeri have moulded it on the sprue in such a way that removing it can't help but damage it. To work on it after removal, I drilled a hole in the back and glued into it a couple of strands of 5amp fuse wire. This gave me something to hold on to whilst working on it. Around it's circumference, I detailed it with some small pieces of strip card. The two handles were made from strips of scrap etched brass, bent to shape, because strangely, there were none in the Eduard set. Glueing them onto the lamp was tricky, hence the reason for them being a little wonky. They got a bit of a battering in use, so that's my excuse.

HLBCyrT.jpg

So that is just about it. I'm going to have a look through the instructions and see what I've missed. It's getting near to painting time now.

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I'm glad that I', not the only one who does that. Thanks a lot Mark. Getting very close to the painting stage now.

John.

Can’t wait to see it, had a thought last night, there are some tiny machine screws out there, two of those with micro nuts and a piece of bar made from the steel PE sprue not Brass would look mint as an idea for the future I would think. 

cheers

Mark

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mbthejester said:

Can’t wait to see it, had a thought last night, there are some tiny machine screws out there, two of those with micro nuts and a piece of bar made from the steel PE sprue not Brass would look mint as an idea for the future I would think. 

cheers

Mark

I'll bear that In mind Mark. I do intend to build another two Crusaders, a Mk.l and a Mk.ll, but next time, I'll try and get my hands on a couple of Border models versions.

John.

• Like 1