Cancelled build.

Hi folks,third and final build for this GB is an early version of the Wildcat in a late 30's yellow wings scheme fits in nicely with the other two builds.

picked up for  a tenner today.

s-l1600

• Like 9

Very nice choice Steve It’s another definitely on my to do list. Along with the other types of the era. The buffalo, Vindicator, Hell-diver(bi-plane), Devestator, and the early Curtiss, Grumman, and Vought bi-planes. I hope to do a piece of a carrier deck to photo both these ⬆️ and also my USS Essex 1945 builds. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice choice Steve It’s another definitely on my to do list. Along with the other types of the era. The buffalo, Vindicator, Hell-diver(bi-plane), Devestator, and the early Curtiss, Grumman, and Vought bi-planes. I hope to do a piece of a carrier deck to photo both these ⬆️ and also my USS Essex 1945 builds. 

A great era of aircraft modelling Dennis,happy memories of Airfix's Devastator build when I was a kid,if I didn't need to get my 1/32 Helcat used from the stash a yellow wings Wildcat

would have been on the cards for the US Navy GB.

• Like 2

Morning folk's for some reason I put this photo and  info yesterday in a new post so I've asked the mods to remove that one I just forgot I'd already started one for this build!

Anyway kit arrived all as expected,the seller wasn't sure it was complete hence the very reasonable £10 price tag but despite many parts being off the sprue it's all there.

Won't start it till the F-3 and Seversky are done.

20240420_081049

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Love the yellow wings schemes, looking forward to this one.

Thank's Tim,me two I was going to build the 1/32 Trumpeter kit in this scheme for the US Navy GB but have the Hellcat in the stash now for two years so really need to build it.Here's

a pair of 1/72 HB easykits in the yellow wings scheme.

20200210_201237

20200210_201103

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's after a struggle with the internals to get a good fit this is where the wildcat is today,ready for primer.

20240504_142118

• Like 6

Morning folk's,Progressing well at the moment cheated a little as I sprayed the yellow but the black and aluminium was brushed.

20240509_085534

• Like 7

This one looks to be going so smoothly for you that the fit issues you encountered are nothing but a memory :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Morning folk's,Progressing well at the moment cheated a little as I sprayed the yellow but the black and aluminium was brushed.

20240509_085534

You’d never know it by the looks of it. Great work by the way. 

• Like 2

Morning folk's,this is about as far as I can get with the supplied decals the yellow fuselage and cowling decals are poor to say the least so it's masking and black paint next.

As you can see both areas have been painted in yellow.

20240512_105559

• Like 5

• stevej60 changed the title to Cancelled build.

Sorry folk's this one ended in a frustrating flight into the bin,I was working with a very poorly defined copied instructions and the U/C assembly was not great to start with I remember from

a previous build so much hacking to get a fit which in reality had the oleo assembly the wrong way round I just gave up,been a while since a fail but hey ho!

• Sad 6

Hey - there are very good aftermarket gears. You shouldn't scrap this. The Wildcat undercarriage is a challenge for every modeller, and many get it wrong. So, pick it up, Steve, and carry on...!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Sorry folk's this one ended in a frustrating flight into the bin,I was working with a very poorly defined copied instructions and the U/C assembly was not great to start with I remember from

a previous build so much hacking to get a fit which in reality had the oleo assembly the wrong way round I just gave up,been a while since a fail but hey ho!

Could you not build the plane with the wheels up ? 

• Like 1

For what it cost folk's not really a big loss shame as I love this scheme on a Wildcat but wait,there's a US Navy GB and Trumpeter do a nice 1/32 offering and the local model show

is in a fortnight and one of the traders is a Trumpeter importer who usually does a nice discount on the day!

• Like 2