When Italy joined NATO in 1949 she was still flying sleek and shiny Spitfires. As part of my "Spitfires-by-the-Seas" project, in which I am building a pair of Spitfires in the markings of countries bordering five seas, I will build an Italian Mk IXc as part of my "Ionian Sea" pair for this GB.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

So, some photos. For this build I'm using an Eduard kit, one of the three I have out of this cool boxing. 

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67291&authk

Sprues from that set are well known so I won't bother sharing photos of those.

I'm stealing marking decals from this kit.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67813&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67815&authk

Simple scheme (the lower one):

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67817&authk

• Like 8

Very nice and sleek, as you say.  I'll keep an eye out on this one.  Careful with the AZModel decals.  They can sometimes be a bit thin.  You might need an opaque white roundel (or just a little white paint) beneath the Italian roundels.  But then again...no camo, so it might be moot.  Still, this will look very pretty.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 12:04 AM, John Masters said:

Very nice and sleek, as you say.  I'll keep an eye out on this one.  Careful with the AZModel decals.  They can sometimes be a bit thin.  You might need an opaque white roundel (or just a little white paint) beneath the Italian roundels.  But then again...no camo, so it might be moot.  Still, this will look very pretty.

Ok, thanks for the tips! I'm guessing against the aluminum colour I might be ok, but I'll be sure to watch for this.

• Like 1

I have been working on this, so time for some updating. These kits have a lot of pieces, many of which are spares, so first step is sorting through what's needed and what's not. Here are some of the "needed" bits.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!67982&authk

So, I've been picking away at the cockpit, which has countless pieces. Mostly, it's fun, although some of the PE is tedious. 

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!68094&authk

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!68092&authk

Also, went ahead and painted the resin wheels, including the rear wheel, although that one didn't end up in the photo below. 

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!68100&authk

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

After much delay, I managed to get back to my Italian Spit, and most of the airframe is now together. This is my second Eduard 1/72 Spitfire, and both times I have had issues with the fuselage/wing join, so I have some work to do on that before moving further along.

embed?resid=C186C5DB049B4795!69755&authk