Academy 1/48 Seversky P-35A.

Hi folk's,my next build for this GB is another pre-war US aircraft in the shape of the Seversky P35a which the USAAC bought at the end of the 1930's and 

could be considered the Grandaddy of the mighty Thunderbolt.I'm hoping to make it a trio with a yellow wings Wildcat if plans work out.

OIP

• Like 10

Great choice Steve. It's such a nice airplane!

I built a P-35 (w/o -A) here in 2020 but from Hobbycraft. I hope you have lesser issues with the Academy kit.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235083700-seversky-p-35-‒-the-air-corps-discovers-the-future/

Cheers Michael

• Like 1

Very nice choice Steve, the P-35 Is the grandaddy of more than the P-47. Rumor has it that the Re.2000 was an attempt to copy the aircraft ? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggiane_Re.2000_Falco_I

The Japanese also operated a two seat version of the P-35 in the late 1930’s. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seversky_A8V

Dennis

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CliffB said:

We don't see that many P-35s being built Steve, so a particularly nice choice!

Never built this aircraft before Cliff so

Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Morning folks,kit arrived and usual Academy/Hobbycraft fare,easy build,nice moulding and panel lines with just enough cockpit detail to look busy.

20240412_101834

• Like 5

Morning folk's thought I'd start this one yesterday and after a bit of research on colours happy with the cockpit supplied.

20240418_100058

• Like 5

Morning folk's good progress with no issues,that large glass panel worried me so I thought as the wing to fuselage join needs no filler I would paint both then slip the glass in before joining

them together.

20240419_104640

• Like 6

Morning folk's,fitted the large glazing after painting the surrounding panel so masked till the silver finish is done,everything together now just primer needed on

the wings then I can think of which paint to best reflect the highly polished finish.

20240421_104820

• Like 7

Evening folk's primer dried nicely so a couple of sprayed coats of Vallejo chrome once dry should look nice glossed!

20240422_200631

• Like 6

Hi folk's well just as it was going so well the academy decal curse struck,the stars dissintegrated which I could have sorted but the serials and title's followed suit,not expecting

any luck the Swedish decals were better that said one of those upper wing decals is in four pieces,just to finally stick the boot in the fuselage window came out with the masking

tape,that I can sort at the end of the build.The Swedish scheme takes us into 1940 but the aircraft were purchased much earlier so I presume this was the delivery scheme before the later

Green/Gray finish.

20240423_200153

• Like 7

On 24/04/2024 at 00:13, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear of the decal issue’s, though I think the Swedish AF option is actually a good call. It shows the varied use of a rare aircraft. 

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It's a very attractive scheme!

Regards,

Adrian

Many thanks Dennis and Adrian,just the canopy to do now all the bits and bobs added and painted.

20240427_184609

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no, not the dreaded Carpet Monster? Such a shame, it was looking mighty fine in that last picture. You can't go wrong with silver and Swedish markings - a very tidy and timeless scheme.

46 minutes ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Oh no, not the dreaded Carpet Monster? Such a shame, it was looking mighty fine in that last picture. You can't go wrong with silver and Swedish markings - a very tidy and timeless scheme.

I'll find it somewhere!!!!!

• Like 1