P-47D Thunderbolt (USAAF 1st Air Commando Group, Asansol AB, India, 1944)

Hi all,

Here is my Tamiya 1/72 Thunderbolt Razorback, a kit that requires little introduction I guess: great fit, with lovely detail all around. I just added a few details (PE seat belts in the cockpit, brake lines on the main landing gear, vacform canopy, brass gun barrels and DF loop antenna on the spine). The drop tank is from a Pavla armament set.

The model represents an aircraft from the 1st ACG, that provided close air support and resupply operations to British troops (the so-called "Chindits") that were dropped behind Japanese front lines in Burma. For this "Operation Thursday" aircraft, I used the DP Casper decal sheet. The sheet provides fuselage stripes and theater bands in both dark blue and black. Reading through Squadron's "Thunderbolt in the Pacific Theater", the fuselage stripes are described as dark blue and the bands on wings and tail surfaces in black, so I settled for this combination. First time I used DP Casper's decals: these are very thin and break easily, so care is needed in handling them but they give a nice result. For the NMF I used a few Alclad shades, other paints are mostly Tamiya acrylics. Weathering was done with oils and pigments.

Here is a Wikemedia picture of the real thing:

1st_Air_Commando_Group_-_P-47_Thunderbol

United States Army Air Forces, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Credits background picture: freepik, https://www.freepik.com/free-photo/beautiful-scenery-green-tree-forest-cloudy-sky_9185373.htm

Hope you enjoy the pictures, thanks for looking!

Best regards,
Patrick

• Like 61
  • Thanks 2

Great job Patrick !!

Congrats !!

1 ACG is also one of points of interest !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Superb finish and photography! A pleasure to see your strive for realistic modelling.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PATRICK FROM THE SANDS said:

maybe a little mistake in the position of the "71" on the tail???

The tail bands (with the “71” integrated) were the only black theater bands I used from the decal sheet, I painted the other ones.
But you are right, these are slightly mispositioned - well noted 😊

The finish is superb, very subtle, which makes it look far more realistic. The setting sets it off beautifully. 👍

• Like 1

Excellent Thunderbolt, dio` and photo`s there Patrick, really nice work

• Like 1