Pocher/Hornby. What will be their next kit?

So it's yet another Porsche 917K according to Elderly's statement.     Really?

Unless it is a reboxed IXO kit, why would Hornby go to the trouble of developing a kit from scratch when one is already on the market? Just does not make sense with so many other really interesting subjects crying out for the Pocher name on the box !

Besides what I have suggested already,  a Ferrari Daytona Coupe,  Mk1 Lotus Cortina,  Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Aston Martin V8 Vantage from the James Bond movie starting Timothy Dalton....................There are just so many.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Looking at the images of the Pocher 917, it appears all new. It seems to have a different interior to the Ixo Collections / Agora kit, it is not just a new tail. It is a lot cheaper than the Agora kit and does not appear to have the working gadgets such as lights etc. 

There are some surprising things though:-

1, Why do the 2nd place race finisher, rather than the winner?

2, The background info for the car on Pocher's website is a bit mixed up. The 917 was dominant in 1970, the finned tail was only used occasionally in 1971. Also the regulations changed for endurance racing at the end of 1971 to a 3 litre formula, so the 917's career was over in Europe, hence the move to turbocharging a 917 spyder for the CanAm series which went on to 1974.

Having said the above, I do think the finished model looks impressive, so I will consider this as my first 1/8 modern kit (I did build the Monogram E Type so many years ago!). 

I would still like a Tyrrell 006 and a Lancia S4 please!

Edited by Flintstone

I have now seen the Pocher blurb about their Porsche 917 kit due out mid year. 

Looks really nice judging by their PR pictures. I daresay that there will now be the inevitable comparisons with the IXO Agora kit once modellers start to build it.

OK guys, time to now speculate about the next Pocher kit!

Posted (edited)

This makes things awkward: previous Pocher kits didn't interest me. But... well it's a 917 ain't it? What are we to do???!!!

My only reservation: needs new front and rear bodywork to create a 1970 car. That's the one for me.

Edited by Sabrejet

On 16/05/2024 at 10:46, Bozothenutter said:

Now, if someone were to do a set of the winner decals.....

It is not just the numbers. There was sometimes 3 cars run in Gulf livery at races, so there was differences in how much orange was applied. Pedro Rodriguez's car usually had just a central orange stripe, while the Jo Siffert car had an orange wraparound nose and orange sills as well as the central stripe! To do the winner means a paint job!

9 hours ago, Flintstone said:

It is not just the numbers. There was sometimes 3 cars run in Gulf livery at races, so there was differences in how much orange was applied. Pedro Rodriguez's car usually had just a central orange stripe, while the Jo Siffert car had an orange wraparound nose and orange sills as well as the central stripe! To do the winner means a paint job!

ehm the '71 Le Mans winner....

which would indeed be more than just the numbers....😉

1971-Le-Mans-winning-Martini-Porsche-917

• Thanks 1

The 917 has a following for sure and if the Pocher model is better detailed than the Agora one and less expensive it should do well. It is about to hit the shelves so it is a done deal subject wise this time around. The after market will no doubt be eying this one up with regard to upgrade sets etc.

Now we know it's a 917 this thread is about speculating what the next kit will be, so keep the wish list rolling guys.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

ehm the '71 Le Mans winner....

which would indeed be more than just the numbers....😉

1971-Le-Mans-winning-Martini-Porsche-917

Indeed, the 1971 Le Mans winner is the white Martini livered car, which would have been a great option. Pocher have made the 2nd place car from the 1971 Monza 1000km, the Monza winner was the Rodriguez Gulf livered car.

Back to the options for the next model, how about:-

Lotus 49 (Clark) or 49B (Hill)

Jaguar D type (Le Mans 55)

Ferrari 312T (Lauda)

Edited by Flintstone

Who knows what they will bring out next as they jump around a bit subject wise. In the beginning when the 2 Lamborghini models followed one another I was half expecting to see an exotic road car each year and then they surprised everyone with the Ducati Motorcycle kit, then 2 very different racing cars, the Lotus 72 and the just announced Porsche 917.

So the next kit could be anyone's guess !

Maybe, just maybe it would be nice to see the now iconic Alfa Romeo Alfetta 158/159 Formula 1 car from the 1950's as a Pocher model.