Russian Fighters Version 4 Acrylic Paint Set (02.112)

Russian Fighters Version 4 Acrylic Paint Set (02.112)

Jim-Scale via Hobby Colours

boxtop.jpg

Jim Scale is a Russian-based brand of modelling supplies that concentrates heavily on painting and finishing, with a great many products aimed at the modeller of Russian Federation or Soviet subjects, but with a broad range that will suit almost any genre.  Their location might cause concerns for some of our members at the moment, but these products have come to us via Hobby Colours from Greece, and might appeal to some of our members around the world, providing that supply doesn’t eventually become a problem.  The range contains products that are water-based and alcohol-based, the water-based product codes beginning with 01., and with the colour or product number after the full-stop.  This is good to know, as the packaging is written almost entirely in Russian, which isn’t a language many native English speakers are familiar with.  Fortunately, our mobile (cell/handy) phones are becoming more competent with every generation, and translation from one language to another is the work of moments, simply aiming your phone’s camera at the text and tapping translate.

This set provides three colours often seen on Russian fighter aircraft, particularly the Su-34, which is mentioned on the rear of the set, along with a profile and a few details about the aircraft.  It arrives in a bubble package with a cardboard backing card, a clear vacformed front holding the paint bottles in place until you slide the card out from behind.  Each bottle contains 18ml of paint, and is topped off with a dropper tip and yellow cap that screws onto the nozzle, preventing leakage.  There is also a hefty shaker ball inside each bottle to assist with mixing the paint before use, and we are told that the paints can be sprayed or brushed just as easily.  The 01. code tells us that this is a water-based acrylic, and there is little to no aroma from the bottles, unless you place the nozzle just under your nose.  The three colours are as follows:

01.189 Light Blue (Su-34)

01.192 Light Blue

01.193 Green Blue (Su-34)

02.112.jpg

As is usual with my tests, I used plastic spoons that had been prepared by a light roughening with a very fine sanding stick, and the bowl was sprayed with primer to prepare and harmonise the surface.  Based upon the results of other tests that I have run with this system, the paint will adhere equally well directly to the spoon without primer, with no discernible difference between the finishes.  I can also confirm that the paint brushes out well, reaching opacity in 2-3 thin coats using a flat brush to minimise brush-marks, which were negligible and could have been a result of my inexpert application, as I’m unused to painting large areas without an airbrush.

example.jpg

Spraying was carried out by first laying down a medium coat now that I am more confident with the system, which was given a few seconds to gas off before adding another heavier layer, repeating extra layers as necessary to improve vibrancy.  The paint went down very well with no spluttering, stoppages, or other issues, and as it dried the surface became very smooth with a slight sheen visible from some angles after initial drying had occurred.  The patterning I had experienced previously during the mist-coat stages didn’t occur this time, as I had brushed the surface to remove dust with an anti-static brush by Tamiya, and was more aggressive with application.  After several hours of drying, the paint had taken on a matt sheen that is pleasing to the eye, across all colours in the set.

Two days after spraying paint on both primed and un-primed sides of the original tests, Tamiya tape was applied to all surfaces, burnished down firmly, and torn off 20 minutes later, with absolutely no caution whatsoever.  This paint is as tough as old boots, and there wasn’t any lifting of the tape, regardless of priming or otherwise, so you can paint and mask to your heart’s delight and it won’t let you down if you prepare your model’s surfaces.

Conclusion

Now I have tested their primers and two paint sets, this system is really growing on me.  It goes down well, doesn’t lift on removal of masking, the finish is excellent, and the sets aren’t expensive.  I can live with the slightly longer curing time for the paint, as my modelling is sporadic anyway, and there is always something else to do in the meantime.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Thanks 1

Can tell at a glance they are not accurate, they are too light and blue for the su34 blues, particularly the darker blues have quite a green hint to them, and the lightest blue is not that pale, its a much more vibrant blue 

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Can tell at a glance they are not accurate, they are too light and blue for the su34 blues, particularly the darker blues have quite a green hint to them, and the lightest blue is not that pale, its a much more vibrant blue 

Seen only photos in blue background seems a bit fast conclusion about accuracy of the shades.

Akan paints are factory matched to the real russian colours, but blue backgounds and all

editI though tbh feel feel do delete my posts admins as I know I shouldn't be dumping on a brand new product like this 

su-34_068.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

6 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Any real basis to that other than they dont look right to you?  I certainly cant tell "at a glance" 

Julien

22 minutes ago, Julien said:

Any real basis to that other than they dont look right to you?  I certainly cant tell "at a glance" 

Julien

Just delete my posts, there’s nothing of value for me to say