Jump to content

1:48 Kitech Airwolf helicopter


Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

 

Happy Easter,

 

As I said in my post a couple of weeks ago, I'm back to building (mutilating) plastic model kits again and have prepared 4 kits to work on at the start of clearing my stash. 

 

I'm going to make separate posts for these models as I'm going to be trying to work on them at the same time when parts for the main project are drying. 

 

1st up is one of my favourite TV aircraft, AIRWOLF. I've been a fan of this series since the late 80s when I was introduced to Airwolf as a kid. 

 

spacer.png

 

I started building this kit, the Kitech 1:48 Airwolf before I had to temporarily stop building kits and I've noticed that it is a very basic kit as it doesn't include any components for Santini's Electronic Data Command Centre as it appears to be a Bell 222 passenger aircraft kit for the rear cockpit and doesn't have the same front end detail especially what i guess could be called the bonnet where the electronics are kept, but at least has the right components for the weapons fit / body modifications (turbos, guns, ADF pod etc). 

 

The instructions are very basic and unfortunately don't have a great painting instruction. Does anyone have a different kit's instructions that they could send me photos of so that I can get the painting right as this one doesn't even show where to paint the bottom ? 

 

I will get some photos of the kit as it stands at the moment and post them here soon. 

 

I am considering building this as a practise model, before trying to buy the Aoshima version instead..... and if anyone has the kit (or no longer wants it and would be willing to sell), I would like to see photos of it 😀

 

Rick

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rickpadwick1801 said:

one of my favourite TV aircraft, AIRWOLF. I've been a fan of this series since the late 80s

 

4 hours ago, Rickpadwick1801 said:

it appears to be a Bell 222 passenger aircraft kit

       G'day Rick, I'm actually a ship modeler but before that I built a 1/72 model of this. I can't remember the kit brand, probably Airfix. My wife bought it for me and I built it about 35 years ago. If I recall it had the option of Airwolf or the Bell 222, so I think it was molded as the latter (Bell 222) with panels and bits to convert it to Airwolf. No internal detail.

       I enjoyed building the kit, and thought Airwolf was the best-looking chopper in the skies, although her capabilities were a bit far-fetched. Alright, a lot far-fetched. 😁

To me her body shape vaguely resembles that of the Great White shark. Enjoy the build.       Regards, Jeff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I'm hearing the theme music! Looking forward to see how it goes.

I will have some pictures of the progress to date tomorrow and hopefully get some more work done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

 

       G'day Rick, I'm actually a ship modeler but before that I built a 1/72 model of this. I can't remember the kit brand, probably Airfix. My wife bought it for me and I built it about 35 years ago. If I recall it had the option of Airwolf or the Bell 222, so I think it was molded as the latter (Bell 222) with panels and bits to convert it to Airwolf. No internal detail.

       I enjoyed building the kit, and thought Airwolf was the best-looking chopper in the skies, although her capabilities were a bit far-fetched. Alright, a lot far-fetched. 😁

To me her body shape vaguely resembles that of the Great White shark. Enjoy the build.       Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

 

I'm also a warship modeller along with a few other genre's. 

 

In fact, I will be working on a 2nd Type 45 destroyer along with this. 

 

I'll also be taking photos of all my finished models at some point in the future to post here, on Facebook and also on my instagram. 

 

Hope you like how I get on 😀

 

Rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this. It's also my favourite 80's show. 

 

As for instructions you have the Aoshima Kit.

Or the AMT/ERTL kit which is the kit you are building.

 

The Aoshima kit is the best one out there it surpassed all of them but is becoming hard to find.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

 

Here are the sprue and component photos along with the construction that I've done at the moment (the cockpit and adding components to the fuselage sides). 

 

Weapons sprue

spacer.png

 

Rotor sprue

spacer.png

 

Fuselage sides and other body components sprue

spacer.png

 

Cockpit assembly (noticed that left hand pilot needs his face painted as he doesn't have a closed helmet visor)

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

I will be continuing with this kit while components of the Type 45 destroyer kit I'm working are drying once painted or bonding in place once glued. 

 

Look for the next update soon.

 

All the best,

Rick

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2024 at 2:35 AM, Rickpadwick1801 said:

I'm also a warship modeller along with a few other genre's. 

 

In fact, I will be working on a 2nd Type 45 destroyer along with this. 

Yeah, I've seen your HMS Dragon thread. I'll be following that too. Regards, Jeff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Yeah, I've seen your HMS Dragon thread. I'll be following that too. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, I've also got an Airfix HMS Belfast to build and a Dragon 1:700 HMS Arizona to build in the future. 

 

All the best, Rick

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For interior details of the TV Airwolf, see here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140803111601if_/http://projects.airwolf.tv/resources/manual03.html

 

Note the “Manual Page” menu to the left. Click on individual items to open the pages showing control panels and details of system operations.

 

The studio blueprint can be found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141014212908/http://projects.airwolf.tv/resources/bpairwolf.html
 

Click on the illustration to download a larger copy.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

For interior details of the TV Airwolf, see here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140803111601if_/http://projects.airwolf.tv/resources/manual03.html

 

Note the “Manual Page” menu to the left. Click on individual items to open the pages showing control panels and details of system operations.

 

The studio blueprint can be found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141014212908/http://projects.airwolf.tv/resources/bpairwolf.html
 

Click on the illustration to download a larger copy.

Thanks, I've been on that site in the past. 

 

That will be really useful. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to see 'The Lady' being built, will be watching this for updates. Such a futuristic helicopter, that they got 'right'. Super stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I've taken a close look at this kit today in preparation for finishing it and am slightly more than disappointed with it. 

 

I've worked out that not only are the components for the Electronic Data Command Centre, front cowling / bonnet section missing, but the rear fins at the halfway point down the rear fuselage boom are at the wrong angle....plus the fact that several other key components of the Airwolf design including sunburst launchers and turbo thruster exhausts are missing from it..... I'm considering not finishing this build and spending the money to get the Aoshima kit. which is currently available on Ebay.

 

I've seen a thread on this forum showing the quality of that kit and think it would be worth the investment, especially as I didn't pay a lot for this kit. 

 

I will let you all know what I decide....in the meantime, this kit is going back in what I'm calling the not at the moment storage tub.....

Edited by Rickpadwick1801
Link to comment
Share on other sites

       G'day Rick, that must be disappointing, as I think she was a very nice-looking machine. But if you're not happy with the kit sometimes it's best to cut your losses and not waste any more time on it. If you go with the other kit then good luck with it.       Regards, Jeff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Captain Glumbo said:

I just (17/4) bought the Aoshima kit from Wonderland models.  They may be getting more stock in, I think its OOS at the mo.  Mine was on back order for less than a week so must have been and end of month delivery to them.

 

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/aoshima-1-48-aw-01-attack-chopper-airwolf-bell-222-cia-model-kit/

Thanks, I've found one on Ebay which is almost the same price as that. Did you have to pay delivery and does it include the 2 clear fuselage pieces ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes delivery was a fiver and it does come with a clear fuselage.  I am hoping I can make one side transparent to show the rear, but an experienced modeller on here tried that and wasnt satisfied with the clarity of the clear sprue and didnt bother.  i'm gonna try but I'm still a noob so have no chance lol.  he has a very good build thread on here - 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Captain Glumbo said:

Yes delivery was a fiver and it does come with a clear fuselage.  I am hoping I can make one side transparent to show the rear, but an experienced modeller on here tried that and wasnt satisfied with the clarity of the clear sprue and didnt bother.  i'm gonna try but I'm still a noob so have no chance lol.  he has a very good build thread on here - 

Thanks again, I've seen that thread as well. It is a very good build thread and I believe I've found the videos relating to it on Youtube which I will also be referring to.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Captain Glumbo said:

Yes delivery was a fiver and it does come with a clear fuselage.  I am hoping I can make one side transparent to show the rear, but an experienced modeller on here tried that and wasnt satisfied with the clarity of the clear sprue and didnt bother.  i'm gonna try but I'm still a noob so have no chance lol.  he has a very good build thread on here - 

 

 

I'm quite flattered to be called an experienced modeller 😆. I still feel like the newbie around here! I hope the clear section works out for you. I can't think of any other reason Aoshima included the parts... or, for that matter, such a detailed interior that then gets completely hidden. If that was their intention, it must be possible. Maybe with a skilled polish the transparent section will turn out beautifully.

 

1 hour ago, Rickpadwick1801 said:

Thanks again, I've seen that thread as well. It is a very good build thread and I believe I've found the videos relating to it on Youtube which I will also be referring to.

 

 

I can't lay claim to any youtube videos, that will be someone else's build. It will be worth referencing for different solutions to build challenges, and colour choices too for the paint mixing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember that show! Jan Micheal Vincent and Ernest Borgnine.

The actual helicopter used deserved a better fate than winding up scattered over the German countryside.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kiseca said:

 

I'm quite flattered to be called an experienced modeller 😆. I still feel like the newbie around here! I hope the clear section works out for you. I can't think of any other reason Aoshima included the parts... or, for that matter, such a detailed interior that then gets completely hidden. If that was their intention, it must be possible. Maybe with a skilled polish the transparent section will turn out beautifully.

 

 

 

I can't lay claim to any youtube videos, that will be someone else's build. It will be worth referencing for different solutions to build challenges, and colour choices too for the paint mixing.

Thanks for replying. The reason I thought they were your videos was because the person had done a very similar thing to the display stand you created :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, flyboy2610 said:

I remember that show! Jan Micheal Vincent and Ernest Borgnine.

The actual helicopter used deserved a better fate than winding up scattered over the German countryside.

Definitely, it was so sad to hear that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...