Javelin FAW7 tail queries

Hi all,

I am new to modelling RAF aircraft, and hoping that I can leverage the collective wisdom of this great forum.

Recently I bought the Airfix Javelin and I am planning to design and print a proper FAW7 tail conversion for XA778.

All other conversion required for that particular aircraft is not part of this topic.  Yet. :) 

I have been diggin the internet for the last couple of days, but finding good FAW7 photos has proven to be very difficult, probably because all of them were rebuilt to FAW9. 

At the moment there are two details that I am struggling with:

- the bottom part of the exhaust fairing, in between the two exhausts. Is it straight or not?

- how the angled end of the tailpipe is connected to the rest of it. 

The photo on the left suggests a very gentle indent between the two pipes, however that section appears to be straight in the photo of XA778 on the right:

spacer.png

In this other XA778 photo the bottom edge looks straight again, but it is a bit hard to see.

spacer.png

Has anyone seen a good photo of  a FAW 7 tail that shows the exhausts from a better angle?

Any help or direction to references would be appreciated.

Happy modelling!

Edited by prowler93

I have a copy of the conversion for the back end FAW7 offered some years ago but no longer available (Maintrack I believe).  I am not at home just now but can see what it looks like on Monday.  Hereward3D can offer you an appropriate cockpit set suitable for an AI-17 equipped Javelin, improved undercarriage, extended flaps, extended airbrakes, engraved retracted airbrakes and so on (contact via the website - [email protected] or through me).  Also available are Sapphire 7 compressor faces and Sapphire 7 turbines.

oh, thinking about it, there is a tapered trough between the exhausts.

1 hour ago, TeeELL said:

I have a copy of the conversion for the back end FAW7 offered some years ago but no longer available (Maintrack I believe).

Maintrack did this in 2 flavours, a simple back end for the Airfix FAW9 kit and front & back for the Heller T3 kit. Whirlybirds re-released one of these (the one for the Airfix kit IIRC) which migh have been passed on to Heritage in their recent takeover of Whirlybird kits

5 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

This thread. Not the tail end you want, but the author is likely to be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks Robin, I forgot to mention that I have the 1:48 kit. I read that tread anyway it is quite interesting.

4 hours ago, TeeELL said:

I have a copy of the conversion for the back end FAW7 offered some years ago but no longer available (Maintrack I believe).  I am not at home just now but can see what it looks like on Monday.  Hereward3D can offer you an appropriate cockpit set suitable for an AI-17 equipped Javelin, improved undercarriage, extended flaps, extended airbrakes, engraved retracted airbrakes and so on (contact via the website - [email protected] or through me).  Also available are Sapphire 7 compressor faces and Sapphire 7 turbines.

oh, thinking about it, there is a tapered trough between the exhausts.

Thanks TeeELL, I will see what I can do for the 1:48 kit, At the moment I try gathering some info first, so I can print parts specifically for my project.

4 hours ago, David Womby said:

I think there's a subtle trough on the underside

spacer.pngspacer.png

Hi David,

Thanks for the photos. The more I look at them, the more I think they are only tricking the eye.

The bottom edge is probalby straight and the slightly overhanging exhausts make it look more rounded on both sides. 

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Don't know if you've seen this build:

Thanks, yes I saw it.

One problem is that AlleyCat resin is becoming harder and harder to find, and the other one is that I think their tail conversion could be better.

Anyway I am going to model something that is hopefully more accurate. This is where I got to yesterday, 

spacer.png

For now I will go with a straight edge, I found a photo here that also makes me lean towards that:

https://www.raf-in-combat.com/downloads/june-2018-gloster-javelin-faw-7-faw-8-26-photos/

Hi,

I consider this to be finished for the first test print:

spacer.png

It is time to open a work in progress topic, and contiunue my observations about building the kit there.

Thanks for reading this far, happy modelling everyone! 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 1:37 PM, Dave Swindell said:

Maintrack did this in 2 flavours, a simple back end for the Airfix FAW9 kit and front & back for the Heller T3 kit. Whirlybirds re-released one of these (the one for the Airfix kit IIRC) which migh have been passed on to Heritage in their recent takeover of Whirlybird kits

How does one contact Heritage? I assume you’re talking about Heritage Aviation Models Ltd., but their website returns a nasty “FORBIDDEN! We cannot serve this page to you!” notice.

4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

How does one contact Heritage? I assume you’re talking about Heritage Aviation Models Ltd., but their website returns a nasty “FORBIDDEN! We cannot serve this page to you!” notice.

Hi Michael, apologies, Martin is currently trading as Air-Craft Models, predominantly on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?ssPageName=&_ssn=aircraftmodels&LH_Complete=1

He has several brands, Air-Craft Models, Coastal-Craft Models, Race-Craft Models and Whirlybird Models. He started Heritage Aviation Models, but sold it on and it subsequently ceased trading, however he has several of the Heritage models in his current catalogue.

His email is [email protected]

• Thanks 1

I may be a bit late to the party, but here’s a couple of FAW.7 rear end images. 

IMG-5856.jpg

IMG-5855.jpg

And the whole thing.

IMG-5854.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Hi Michael, apologies, Martin is currently trading as Air-Craft Models, predominantly on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?ssPageName=&_ssn=aircraftmodels&LH_Complete=1

Looks like he's limited ordering to UK only, the listings are only visible on .co.uk and not on any other tld that Ebay has. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Looks like he's limited ordering to UK only, the listings are only visible on .co.uk and not on any other tld that Ebay has.

I'd suggest emailing him if you're outside the UK and there's something you're after.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2024 at 04:04, Lord Riot said:

I may be a bit late to the party, but here’s a couple of FAW.7 rear end images. 

IMG-5856.jpg

IMG-5855.jpg

And the whole thing.

IMG-5854.jpg

There are awesome photos, many thanks for sharing them. I have been making some finer adjustments to the 3D model, but I kept the rear edges straight. I will post some photos soon.

• Like 1

I have completely forgotten to look at and photograph the aftermarket product I have but there is a trough between the exhausts on the undersurface.  Like you, I’ve been considering designing and printing a version for the FAW7 but 29(F) Sqn flew the FAW6 then the FAW9 so it isn’t a priority.

I will try and remember to post a photo tomorrow.

Further to my last.  There is a photo of a FAW7 refuelling off a Canberra - it is from the official ‘Gloster Aircraft Company’ files.  I believe that TJAM may have a copy so I will ask if I can view the original.  The photo is taken from behind and below - so if the original is good quality it should provide a definitive answer.

I will ‘reach out’ to my contact there and I am going over on Sat 27th.  

1 hour ago, TeeELL said:

Further to my last.  There is a photo of a FAW7 refuelling off a Canberra - it is from the official ‘Gloster Aircraft Company’ files.  I believe that TJAM may have a copy so I will ask if I can view the original.  The photo is taken from behind and below - so if the original is good quality it should provide a definitive answer.

I will ‘reach out’ to my contact there and I am going over on Sat 27th.  

Obviously a trials aircraft shot as the production FAW7 wasn't capable of AAR. 

I was thinking of contacting the Gloster Javelin Reconstruction on Facebook to see if they had anything in their archives on it.

Selwyn

The underside of the FAW7 tail was not flat, there is a roundabout between the engines that gets more pronounced towards the rear. I shall have a look through my books and see if I can find suitable photos.

Duncan B

26 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Obviously a trials aircraft shot as the production FAW7 wasn't capable of AAR. 

I was thinking of contacting the Gloster Javelin Reconstruction on Facebook to see if they had anything in their archives on it.

Selwyn

Whilst it was clearly a trials aircraft it was a FAW7 with a refuelling mod, can’t see any reason why Glosters would do anything to change the rear end?

1 hour ago, TeeELL said:

Whilst it was clearly a trials aircraft it was a FAW7 with a refuelling mod, can’t see any reason why Glosters would do anything to change the rear end?

Yes I agree.

Selwyn

I have written to my contact at TJAM to see if they possess the original copy of the photo.  There is a poor quality version on eBay but I cannot see the detail off that.