3 hours ago, Brandy said:

Do I assume you will also be modelling the crew's stools? Presumably they were also riveted to the floor.

EEEUUUUU :repuke:

Dirty Boy! Report to Matron!

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

I can't decide what impresses me the most, the level of styrene fettlification or the change from a keyboard background for the photos to a blue cutting-mat....outstanding sir!

Very limited references, all of which show no partition but this turned up. Do you have more Martian?

Mariner cockpit

Not so old fashioned that they didn't forget to be airborne over enemy positions or far out to sea, I hope.......Ancient Mariners being ancient mariners in ancient Mariners, eh:poo:.

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

I can't decide what impresses me the most, the level of styrene fettlification or the change from a keyboard background for the photos to a blue cutting-mat....outstanding sir!

Very limited references, all of which show no partition but this turned up. Do you have more Martian?

Mariner cockpit

There are more in the Nava Fighters book. I think I know now why some have curtains or partitions. The scopes of these early radars did not glow very brightly and I think it was to reduce the amount of background light that could interfere. Whether the was a curtain or partition at all may well have depended upon where the radar scope was fitted. It seems that on some Mariners it was between the two pilots rather than the more normal position behind the lefthand seat. Where it was positioned on the two pictures SNAFU posted is unclear as we can see it in neither position, unless they are of an early boat, some of these did not have radar fitted. All this is indicative of the Mariner as there seem to be multiple variations in equipment fit and locations of the same. and not just between marks. The more you read the Naval Fighters book, the easier it seems to become confused. For now though the partition stays as it is, although that may change as I have seen a style of partition that I like better. Decisions, decisions....:hmmm:

Undecided of Mars 👽

• Like 6

The scopes of these early radars did not glow very brightly and I think it was to reduce the amount of background light that could interfere. Whether the was a curtain or partition at all may well have depended upon where the radar scope was fitted. It seems that on some Mariners it was between the two pilots rather than the more normal position behind the lefthand seat.

Yes, I noticed the scope seemed to move about, you may well be right. Apparently the 'ultimate' Mariner, the PBM-5S2 had the APS-15 radar scope fitted on top of the i/p coaming like some magic lantern. All a bit Heath Robinson. 

Screen-Shot-04-11-24-at-08-55-PM-001.jpg

For now though the partition stays as it is, although that may change as I have seen a style of partition that I like better

Always like a good partition wall. This is something I know well...the Mem's snoring is now causing historic levels of seismic activity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

And if it was an RAF flying boat, the important thing would be the location of the oven and kettle.

This has cause friction between the RAF and Boeing on AEW Aircraft in recent history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Yes, I noticed the scope seemed to move about, you may well be right. Apparently the 'ultimate' Mariner, the PBM-5S2 had the APS-15 radar scope fitted on top of the i/p coaming like some magic lantern. All a bit Heath Robinson. 

Screen-Shot-04-11-24-at-08-55-PM-001.jpg

Always like a good partition wall. This is something I know well...the Mem's snoring is now causing historic levels of seismic activity.

Even the style of mounting the radarscope for the pilot and co-pilot varied considerably. See how easy it is to get confused? I am beginning to wonder if even the guys at Martin could keep track of what was going on. Did the word wibble exist in those days?

Muddled of Mars 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I made a bad mistake with this project a few days ago. Since the start of the build I had been eyeing up  those large waist hatches and trying to convince myself that opening them up was a bad idea as it would lead to a ton of extra work that I didn't really want to do and would add more weight aft of the kit's centre of gravity when doing all the work on the bow compartments was reducing the space available for nose weight. So when I found myself talking to @general melchett the other day, I asked him to talk some sense into me and keep me out of this particular dose of trouble. He chuntered something about weedy boys with a note from Matron, went on about putting a pair of battle y-fronts on my head and a newly sharpened pencil up each nostril, went BEAH! and promised to do his best.

You will be able to tell from the following pictures that he has failed miserably as the next thing I knew I was chain drilling out the doors with a 0.3mm drill bit, which kept on drilling into my tentacles far too many times, in order to preserve the doors. It would be very difficult to scratch build them due to their complex compound curves. next up, I made the rear bulkhead for the waist compartment, followed by the floor and forward partition. The structure is now complete on the port side. After  I have followed suit with the starboard structure, I have to make a decision as to how far forward I want to go as with the hull taped together and the hole for the dorsal turret covered over, it is possible to see into what was the bunk compartment, both looking forward from the waist hatches and through the side windows. They are quite large on the Mariner. 

Anyway, here are the pictures as to where I am at as of moment. Whatever happened to that quick and simple build?

Thanks for looking and remember not to rely on certain members of the Imperial General Staff to keep you out of trouble! :banghead:

Martian 👽

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Martian said:

You will be able to tell from the following pictures that he has failed miserably

Did we expect any less?

I fully expect to see not only the bunks, but the occupants of same.

And the khazi, sans occupants preferably!

Ian

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Martian said:

I asked him to talk some sense into me and keep me out of this particular dose of trouble. He chuntered something about weedy boys with a note from Matron,

When given the option to phone a friend, Surely you could have thought of someone else? Mad King George for instance?  It'll all end in tears...

So now we'll obviously expect freshly starched sheets on the bunks (At least one with a teddy to cuddle) And 1/72nd scale Loo roll in the Kharzi!

• Haha 4

Having been quiet for a few days; well quietish on BM. The same could not be said for the Martian cave where I have been trying to juggle this beast with soldering another Zeppelin. Mrs Martian says that some of the expressions emanating from my room would make a Vogon blush. However, further reading has established that these as a bulkhead either end  of the bunk compartment and that the same had a deckhead which supported a stool for the astrodome. This lets me off having to detail the entire interior of the hull.

Most of the time has been spent sorting out the bulkhead and adding structure to the starboard side of the hull, all the time trying to ensure that it meets up with the portside structure. It did: eventually. I have some tidying up of the bulkhead and partition that goes just aft of it to do, so I am going to have to let the glue cure for a day or two.

After a final push, you know, the one @general melchett is always going on about, we can then begin to think about adding equipment to the hull. No Melchett! not your secret "chum" Miss Lucy 'Quipment! Anyone up for helping his Generalship with an ice cold shower? The bit I am not looking forward to is the equipment rack that fits in what had been the galley on the dedicated flying boat versions of the Mariner. I keep thinking that it would be fun to do an Operation High Jump boat used for the aerial mapping of Antarctica.......

Anyhow, I'm waffling now so let's have some pictures and thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You could use plastic card, etc. to detail the internal structure. Just a thought.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

A suggestion for replacing the doors you so meticulously chain drilled out. As you have a second Mariner available, why not use that as a template to make a buck to then crash mould new doors?

Gondor

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Martian said:

Anyone up for helping his Generalship with an ice cold shower?

We've had enough of those in Lincolnshire in the last few months thank you. I hear that Skegness has been washed out to sea. (not a bad thing really).

I've not been looking at your medical records, but I have to say that you have a lovely interior. More ribs than a Chinese takeaway.

It's a shame this kit doesn't have one half of the hull in clear plastic. Hey! There's an idea for plunge moulding! (OOER!)

Edited by Pete in Lincs
Missed a word
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

We've had enough of those in Lincolnshire in the last few months thank you. I hear that Skegness has been washed out to sea. (not a bad thing really).

I've been looking at your medical records, but I have to say that you have a lovely interior there. More ribs than a Chinese takeaway.

It's a shame this kit doesn't have one half of the hull in clear plastic. Hey! There's an idea for plunge moulding! (OOER!)

Thanks Pete, you are a very silly Earthling. But as one of the "Usual Suspects" you will doubtless wear that as a badge of honour.

13 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

A suggestion for replacing the doors you so meticulously chain drilled out. As you have a second Mariner available, why not use that as a template to make a buck to then crash mould new doors?

Gondor

Thanks Gondor, I managed to get the doors out without damaging them so all I have to do is add a bead of plastic stock round the outside of them to return them to their original size. The second kit will definitely, err possibly, err maybe not be having its waist hatches opened. :unsure:

Doubtful of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Martian said:

The second kit will definitely, err possibly, err maybe not be having its waist hatches opened. :unsure:

Doubtful of Mars 👽

Yes, that would be a waste if it went wrong :whistle:

Gondor

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gondor44 said:

Yes, that would be a waste if it went wrong :whistle:

Gondor

That is even worse than one of @Pete in Lincs's jokes and that's going something!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Don't worry, I've sacked my scriptwriter. I've got a nice sounding chap from Belgium to interview tomorrow....

No! :frantic:Not @corsaircorp! Anything but that. We will end up being in debt to the cryptanalysts of both Bletchley Park and GCHQ until the end of the universe!

Worried (Extremely) of Mars 👽

PS: That conjures up the kind of image that makes it more essential than ever that we get a wibble emoticon.

• Haha 9

Anyone up for helping his Generalship with an ice cold shower? 

Your damn lucky I've been ensconced in the deepest, murkiest recesses of Ceredigion for the past seven days else it might have been your turn to do the honours. The interwebs were barely existent there, in fact, I wrote this a week before I got there so no hope of responding to your request, running water is still a novelty and rumour has that the Bell's box telephone will make an appearance next year. Ironically ice cold showers were the order of the day unless I could cajole the Memsahib into firing up the log burner and manning the giant hamster wheel while ordering Baldrick to bung on a few members of the local peasantry. The less said about the 'Final Push', the better... indoor khazis have yet to be invented:frantic:

• Haha 10

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

I've been ensconced in the deepest, murkiest recesses of Ceredigion for the past seven days

Serves you right for using Ex Luftwaffe Baedeker maps of the U.K. And staying in a Caravan Crocheted by Her ladyship. Cut price Holidays indeed! (Boyo).

• Haha 6

Martin, after seeing your build, I thought I might like ne but in Glass Sea Blue. Then I looked at all the work you had done and thought, maybe not. Then, I couldn't find it listed on the Big H site, so breathed a sigh of relief. I can now go back to my long stalled Merlin HM2.

Colin

• Haha 2

Serves you right for using Ex Luftwaffe Baedeker maps of the U.K. And staying in a Caravan Crocheted by Her ladyship. Cut price Holidays indeed! (Boyo).

They've served me well, up to now, if they were good enough for cousin Otto then they're good enough for me...satellite navigation is a fantasy down there, eliciting gasps of wonderment from the great unwashed. Mind you, crawling around at 20mph in the jalopy didn't exactly help, although even at that speed I was accused by one local, brandishing a huge red flag, of driving like a 'ruddy gwallgofddyn' (look it up). I took exception so I ran him over. With honour restored we left shortly after 

• Haha 6

On 4/19/2024 at 6:24 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Skegness has been washed out to sea. (not a bad thing really).

Not enough bracing?

Who'd a thunk it!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Don't worry, I've sacked my scriptwriter. I've got a nice sounding chap from Belgium to interview tomorrow....

I'll lay odds he's drunk!

Ian

• Haha 4

Yesterday was very much a day of two parts. In the morning I was doing micro-soldering and solving problems that had kept my brains taxed ever since I began the Zeppelin project. However, in the afternoon, I was feeling quite grotty and it seemed to take an age to get even the simplest task on the Mariner right. In the end, I decided to cut my losses before I ended up ruining the model. Before that, I did ,manage to get the portside structure finished and the main frames fitted to the starboard interior. So, we now just have the stringers on the starboard side to do an a limited amount of detail to the deckheads.

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

Hopefully I will feel a bit better tomorrow and be able to get this phase of the interior put to bed. Where's Nurse Mary when you need her? @general melchett, put her down!

Thanks for looking.

Under The Weather of Mars 👽

• Like 21
  • Haha 3