I'll nip down to 'Uncles' Pawn shop tomorrow morning and get it out of Hock for Her. 

I've heard all about your uncles 'pawn' shop and all the dodgy under-the-counter dealings that goes on there, I believe it's one of Baldrick's favourite haunts and where he picked up some of his more unsavoury ideas. 

No need for the diving suit as the archive has now been safely relocated to the upmost attic room, out of danger...although it was creaked around ominously yesterday in lieu of Storm Kathy. The mem was almost blown off the roof a couple of times while replacing the odd tile. 

pbm_211.jpg

Looks like you'll need to break out the riveting tool Martian...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, general melchett said:

The mem was almost blown off the roof a couple of times while replacing the odd tile. 

Playing Outdoor Scrabble in those weather conditions? What a woman!

• Haha 7

Playing Outdoor Scrabble in those weather conditions? What a woman!

Fortunately, before she was finally blasted off the roof by a particularly vicious sidewind she managed to get down oxyphenbutozone, matching the worlds highest score for a single word...however, from what I heard as she sailed past the window, I think she beat that handily...Bravo, I shouted.

• Haha 8

31 minutes ago, general melchett said:

as she sailed past the window

Has She made it back home yet? Or has hunger forced you to accept one of Baldricks' culinary concoctions to keep up your strength and mental agility?

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Has She made it back home yet? Or has hunger forced you to accept one of Baldricks' culinary concoctions to keep up your strength and mental agility?

Word is that the General's cooking is worse then even Baldrick's. However, having had to taste some of Baldrick's cooking during our last visit to Melchett Towers during our last visit, when Lady Melchett was out for the evening, I can confirm that it definitely does not help keep up one's, strength or mental agility! 🤮

Still Traumatised of Mars 👽

• Haha 10

I've always been impressed with the way you do the internal structure on your models - impressive!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CJP said:

I've always been impressed with the way you do the internal structure on your models - impressive!

Chris

Thanks Chris, I think it is  just a reflection of my interest in aero-structures.

There will be another heads up very soon as I have discovered that the kit wing centre section part is very reluctant to sit down over the top of the fuselage. I shall report back as soon as I have worked out a fix.

Martian 👽

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Martian said:

Thanks Chris, I think it is  just a reflection of my interest in aero-structures.

There will be another heads up very soon as I have discovered that the kit wing centre section part is very reluctant to sit down over the top of the fuselage. I shall report back as soon as I have worked out a fix.

Martian 👽

Yeah, i heard some selecting hole chopping is called for on the fuselage wing saddle to get the wing centre section to play nice with the fuselage.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, David H said:

Yeah, i heard some selecting hole chopping is called for on the fuselage wing saddle to get the wing centre section to play nice with the fuselage.

I managed to turn up an old review of the kit which said where the problem is. Some grinding action with the Dremel and a bit of carving soon sorted that out. More to follow with the next update.

Martian 👽

"Be afraid of a deranged alien with a Dremel and grinder in tentacle: be very, very afraid!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

OOOOH! Suits you Sir!

It just had to be you didn't it Pete, well, you or @general melchett but fair's fair, congratulations, you pipped  him at the post. 

On somewhat less weighty matters, this is how I sorted the fit of the wing centre section out. The issue lies with the inboard end of the flap channel fouling the saddle that the wing sits on. Grind this level with the rest of the wing root and the fit is greatly improved. I also ground off a bit more of the inside of the wing part where it sits on the hull just to allow myself a bit of wriggle room should I need it.

028.jpg

The top of the centre section features a hole where there is a hatch and porthole or astrodome (it seems to vary from aircraft to aircraft) and to give the im pression of it opening out into the hull rather that just being  backed by a bit of plastic, I drilled out a hole larger than the diameter of the porthole:

030.jpg

There is no getting away from the fact that if you have the bomb aimer's window exposed and/or the bow door open, you are going to see quite a bit of the inside of the bow compartment. This also holds true if you are fitting the utility nose that has windows. This being the case, and not being happy with level that I had originally set the deck at, I raised the deck and carved a frame for where the deck ends. This is very prominent in photos of the real aircraft. I finished up by adding the remaining structure to the bow compartment, constantly testing to ensure that the structure did not interfere with the fit of the ring forthe bow turret:

031.jpg

032.jpg

029.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

• Like 28

26 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

A vast (me hearties Arrr) improvement on the bare minimum of the basic kit , Martian. 

Thanks Pete, anything would be an improvement over the kit as there is nothing there whatsoever.! To my surprise though, carving the plastic card to  those awkward shapes didn't prove to be too onerous. One feature that I forgot to mention was having to drill two large  holes in the front bulkhead of the flightdeck. These represent two windows that seem to open up into the bow compartment; handy as they let more light into it.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

Exemplary sheet styrene work, Guv. Don't forget the interior rivets.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. On second thought, forget the rivets. I won't tell anyone.    :)

• Haha 7

Good evening, Martian.

You've done a very thorough job of improving the site.👍

I notice that you've added a partition between the pilots and the upper office.
The photos don't show anything like that:

pbm_in10.jpg

pbm_in11.jpg

But perhaps a version of PBM with such a partition exists on your planet... :think:

First of all, have fun in modelling.:thumbsup:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 5

It seems to vary between boats, The Naval Fighters book shows nothing; as in your pictures, some had curtains there as in your pictures, some had curtains and some had partitions of differing shapes. I will most likely do something different on the next build.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

I kneel at the tentacles of our Martian overlord, in awe of his skill with white plasticard, chanting "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks Guys. I think I have worked out why the hatches were still there on the amphibians. They are there for the more old fashioned crew members who the can't stand those dirty indoor things and prefer to c*&p out of the window.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Haha 6

Very impressive! 

Do I assume you will also be modelling the crew's stools? Presumably they were also riveted to the floor.

Over to you @Pete in Lincs

Ian

• Haha 5

I can't decide what impresses me the most, the level of styrene fettlification or the change from a keyboard background for the photos to a blue cutting-mat....outstanding sir!

I notice that you've added a partition between the pilots and the upper office.
The photos don't show anything like that:

Very limited references, all of which show no partition but this turned up. Do you have more Martian?

Mariner cockpit

They are there for the more old fashioned crew members who the can't stand those dirty indoor things and prefer to c*&p out of the window.

Not so old fashioned that they didn't forget to be airborne over enemy positions or far out to sea, I hope.......Ancient Mariners being ancient mariners in ancient Mariners, eh:poo:.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2