Revell Schnellzuglokomotive BR 01

Greetings folks, here's my contribution, some German heavy metal: Revell's 1/87 BR 01 Schnellzuglokomotive.

6Or16rj.jpg

I know the square root of null about this engine, but Wikipedia confidently says it was the first standardised express loco built for the unified German railway network. The idea being that if an engine based in Berlin broke down in Hamburg, the local depot would have the spare parts and know-how to fix it. This same approach would be adopted by British Railways after nationalisation in 1948 with Standard Class series of engines; which I can't help noticing borrowed a few design cues from the BR 01 - smoke deflectors, the high running plate (is that right? My railway nomenclature is a little rusty) for ease of maintenance etc. Anyway, they were built from 1926 to 1938, and some remained in service in the DDR until 1982(!)

On to the plastic, moulded in two colours, Matchbox style.

ZMdwEbK.jpg

uJ0114a.jpg

J58EAis.jpg

APGRbSu.jpg

It's nice that you get a small bit of track to display it. Small decal sheet:

JtnJk5c.jpg

And the very first job was to attack the box with a knife, because Revell.

XFMGDWe.jpg

HZp0VlP.jpg

There, much better.

TTFN

• Like 18

Interesting subject - I'll be following along if I may. The British Railways standards are definitely drawn from this style. Awful plastic colours, though :D

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Awful plastic colours, though :D

yeah, just to make matters worse, some of the red bits need to be painted black and some of the black bits need to be painted red :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

This is a Deutsche Reichsbahn locomotive correct ?

Yes, that's what the decals say!

• Like 2

Even with its Matchbox-esqu two-colour plastic this looks to be a nicely detailed kit.

I did one in a GB a couple of years back

It's a great kit and builds up nicely, although I found the instructions slightly vague on the running gear assembly

Just make sure the chassis is completely square otherwise stuff doesn't quite line up

/P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Yes, that's what the decals say!

It certainly is, though I imagine if you found that unpalatable, it would be an easy affair to mark it up as a DB one.

• Like 3

With some time off and being eager to get cracking, I'll confess to jumping the gun a little by snipping some plastic and dabbing some glue this week 🤫

First job was to get the fuselage boiler halves together, because I fear dealing with the seam along the top with all its lumps and crevices will be something of a chore...

nVstYVm.jpg

Hmm, there's a bit of a step in places (probably my own making), some filler will be required. BTW, can someone with more knowledge of these continental types explain why it has THREE domes? 

Another chore will be cleaning up the wheels...

fzPy9rd.jpg

All 18 of them! The drivers have four sprue tabs each, thankfully the smaller wheels only have two. The three drivers on the left have been fettled, just another 15 to go... 

As a treat for getting some of the chores underway, I got some smaller sub-assemblies completed:

GVB0Ikk.jpg

The cylinders and some, um, red cylinders.

Until next time,

Choo-tschüss!

_____🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃____

• Like 14

On 18/03/2024 at 20:04, Mjwomack said:

it would be an easy affair to mark it up as a DB one

And not wrong either since this locomotive was used - with some modifications - well into the fifties (and sixties) by Deutsche Bundesbahn. I remember it well. Deutsche Reichsbahn in the GDR (yes, they continued to call it that way!) also kept using it after the war.

• Like 5

Had a pleasant weekend snipping plastic and assembling the chassis:

Nyl5GdQh.jpg

I broke the back of the wheel cleaning up operation, just five of the tender wheels left to sort out:

jkD1o92h.jpg

Also applied some trusty old super glue and talc to the boiler seam and made a tentative start of cleaning it up:

oXy1Z0Wh.jpg

Really looking forward to tackling the middle bit...

Until next time,

Choo-tschüss!

🌤️

_____🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃____

• Like 11

I was enjoying it so much I bought another off T'Bay for next year's railway GB:

Z6nk3Nch.jpg

This one's got 20 wheels and, inexplicably, FOUR domes; so it may test my resolve!

• Like 10

21 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Had a pleasant weekend snipping plastic and assembling the chassis:

Yes, I can imagine that was very satisfying :).  It's looking great so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

I was enjoying it so much I bought another off T'Bay for next year's railway GB:

Z6nk3Nch.jpg

This one's got 20 wheels and, inexplicably, FOUR domes; so it may test my resolve!

And now you've got me thinking about getting a Revell Big Boy for that GB on top of the two Kitmasters I've lined up. But that's partly because I fancy the immaturity of striding up to the counter and saying, "I want your Big Boy please, oh a couple of slag wagons if you've got any slags'

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

"I want your Big Boy please, oh a couple of slag wagons if you've got any slags'

Certainly a novel way of getting banned from every branch of Hobbycraft.

• Haha 5

Not huge amount to report, been getting a lot of the smaller parts cleaned up, but here's where I'm at. Started putting together the front bogie - top and bottom sandwiching the axles.

WgaeQVW.jpg

It will need painting before I can add the wheels and brakes (which also need painting).

Speaking of painting, I'm nearly ready to fire up the compressor:

yNDbm5w.jpg

Just need to get the last few bits of coupling rods/valve gear gubbins cleaned up first.

Choo-tschüss!

🌦️

_____🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃____

• Like 9

Great choice. I was lucky to see these in action in Berlin in 1977 during their last months of life on the DR.

br 01

Looking at my slides of that trip, this was the first steam loco' that we saw.

The Revell loco's are all out of area and period for my modelling otherwise I would be tempted to get one for my ever increasing stash of candidates for next years 200th Anniversary of Railways GB.

• Like 5

I hope all your diligent tidying up of the kit parts rewards that effort with a trouble-free assembly now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Great choice. I was lucky to see these in action in Berlin in 1977 during their last months of life on the DR.

br 01

Looking at my slides of that trip, this was the first steam loco' that we saw.

The Revell loco's are all out of area and period for my modelling otherwise I would be tempted to get one for my ever increasing stash of candidates for next years 200th Anniversary of Railways GB.

That's fantastic. I'll be referring to that pic when it comes to weathering :like: 

Also, I'm insanely jealous you got to see East Berlin during that period, fascinating.

1 hour ago, Col. said:

I hope all your diligent tidying up of the kit parts rewards that effort with a trouble-free assembly now.

Me too. NOTHING CAN GO WRONG NOW :D

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bobby No Mac said:

I'm insanely jealous you got to see East Berlin during that period, fascinating

I missed out on the end of steam on British Railways as the 60's were the decade that I had little interest in railways. I made up for that by being able to witness the end of steam in West Germany and that one visit to East Germany in 1977. During the 1977 visit we were based in Berlin and Dresden and visited a number of steam sheds and barrow gauge lines. Forty years later I went back to Berlin and Dresden so it was interesting to see the changes. Unfortunately a mixture of a poor camera, cheap film, a limited number of shots for a two week visit and an inexpert photographer mean that now many of the images are excellent at bringing back memories but poor as reference works.

• Like 1

Some paint has been flung:

titdQuo.jpg

All the parts that are going to be red were primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 pink. First time using this stuff, it all looks rather odd at the moment. The proof will be how it works under the red. The metalwork was hit with Tamiya LP11 which never fails to impress how well it goes down.

Meanwhile work continues on sanding and filling the boiler seam, hopefully not far off now.

Choo-tschüss!

🌩️

_____🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃____

🐄

• Like 12

I'll resist the temptation to comment upon how nice your pink bits look... :innocent:

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Col. said:

I'll resist the temptation to comment upon how nice your pink bits look... :innocent:

Speaking of pink bits, my first choice of using LP-79 for the red had to be revised - as while it's called flat red, it's definitely more on the magenta end of the spectrum, and being sprayed on the pink primer seemed to exacerbate its pinkness, see below left.

dJYvfon.jpg

My poor Tempest paint mule looks like it's flown through the lipstick section of Superdrug 👄 Anyway, I resorted to XF-7 (on the right) which looked much better. The red bits are now very red:

qnrUpQ7.jpg

For the wheels I used my trusty Helix circle template.

cOZEZNY.jpg

The driving wheels fitted very snuggly, though some of the smaller wheels were a tad off in the nearest fit, but it did the job.

ji2PokM.jpg

There's a noticeable difference between the red over the pink primer and the red over the silver...

PDcSW9A.jpg

...though I'm going to resist the temptation to meddle at this stage. I think it will balance out when it comes to weathering.

Choo-tschüss!

🌙

_____🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃____

🏡🌳

• Like 13