AModel 1/72nd scale Kalinin K-5, yet another 'Оловянный гусь' (Tin Goose)

16 hours ago, Old Man said:

I've only done their I-16

Me too.  I am grateful that this kit has larger parts.  The I-16 was maddening.

So basically the aircraft is finished.  I have only to paint it and add the decals.  This is the thing...the instructions say to paint it white, but there are so few photographs of the aircraft and most of those are inconclusive...it veers towards the NMF.  Other modellers have painted it white or silver.  I kind of like the tin NMF finish myself.  

So that's the question I put before you...NMF or white?

53629696245_7c472d361e_z_d.jpg

53628358342_b14474ba7d_z_d.jpg

The landing gear was soft/brittle and snapped.  I used CA and a splint.  Then actual glue.  I think it will hold.

53628358367_1720fed0bd_z_d.jpg

Just a test fit of the motor...the control horns (upper and lower) are attached as are the running lights.

53628358392_b084eaa511_z_d.jpg

53629696325_29e68b1a46_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 10

Good save of the wing parts John. As for the colour-scheme; all I can say is a natural metal seems more in keeping with the era :shrug:

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hopefully the painting wont be a headache. 

I hope so too.  As of now, no problem.  I gave the whole thing a covering of white primer from AK.  I can go in either direction at this point, although I am still veering off into the NMF range.

On 4/3/2024 at 5:43 PM, Col. said:

Good save of the wing parts John. As for the colour-scheme; all I can say is a natural metal seems more in keeping with the era :shrug:

Thanks to you both...I was lucky with the wings.

53630729337_211fe42756_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

That was a quick build. Great work nevertheless, particularly the wing adjustment and repairs.

Hi John,

During 1930's silver dope was also used quite much as overall colour in non-camouflaged aircraft in the Soviet Union.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi John,

During 1930's silver dope was also used quite much as overall colour in non-camouflaged aircraft in the Soviet Union.

Cheers,

AaCee

I was going to say metallic dope... it gets interpreted as white or NMF and is probably somewhere in between. I'll be doing it on my Goeland.

11 hours ago, Toryu said:

That was a quick build. Great work nevertheless, particularly the wing adjustment and repairs.

Thank you.  Aside from the interior bits, there aren't a lot of pieces to this kit.

5 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

That sounds about right.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, marvinneko said:

I was going to say metallic dope... it gets interpreted as white or NMF and is probably somewhere in between. I'll be doing it on my Goeland.

Excellent.  I will have to check in on your WiP...thanks!

• Like 1

The white primer was a good choice.  It kept the aluminum NMF from being too dark.  Ok, it's not quite so grey as aluminum dope, but then again, It's not finished either.

I am off-island tomorrow until Saturday so I figured I'd get some NMF work done before I head out.  

53640934254_d126382e7f_z_d.jpg

53639717662_5f465f0623_z_d.jpg

53641051740_031890c8d1_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 11

1 minute ago, John Masters said:

The white primer was a good choice.  It kept the aluminum NMF from being too dark.  Ok, it's not quite so grey as aluminum dope, but then again, It's not finished either.

I am off-island tomorrow until Saturday so I figured I'd get some NMF work done before I head out.  

53640934254_d126382e7f_z_d.jpg

53639717662_5f465f0623_z_d.jpg

53641051740_031890c8d1_z_d.jpg

--John

John do you use straight aluminum or a mix for Dope ? I use a mix of Aluminum and grey to get my dope. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

John do you use straight aluminum or a mix for Dope ?

I just used straight aluminum. 

I can always soften it with another thin layer of your recipe. 😄

• Like 1

I'd not come across this plane either, so very interested. A not insignificant type too. Not sure if you've seen the photo on this page John. I thought it might help with your finish. Seems they issued passengers with parachutes too. How's that for confidence. ;) :D

Steve.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

I mixed up a variation of the @Corsairfoxfouruncle 'Aluminum Dope', i.e. 50/50 grey primer and aluminum.  It went on well and looks more the part than the straight NMF.

53662529416_d819e33696_z_d.jpg

53662885729_399a1270df_z_d.jpg

I let that dry for a few hours and then went into the decals, which, as per any Amodel decal set I have ever used, all but shattered.  I was able to piece them together with some patience, lots of water and some colourful language.  I will spray them with satin varnish later tonight after they are dry.  They are too delicate/thin for a hairy brush.

53661656302_ba44b65728_z_d.jpg

I let them unroll themselves, btw...no sense making them worse!

53662991570_aea7a31a77_z_d.jpg

53662991600_16b95eeff7_z_d.jpg

Port and starboard are the same configuration...

53661656317_10c97ae9cb_z_d.jpg

53662539731_11d010523c_z_d.jpg

Time to let that dry.  Other things to do.  I am back on the mainland tomorrow for a couple of nights so I want to get some of this off the bench before I go.

--John

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

To be honest I cant see anything wrong with the decals. And I agree I think the paint looks good. It gives that duller look over NMF

Thanks Dennis.  I was really careful with the decals.  Not nearly a jigsaw puzzle but the did split a bit. It worked out.  

• Like 1

Oooof!  Feels like years since I sat at the bench.  I need to wrap some things up, for sure.  This is one. I'm almost there.  I have painted the struts and gear black; I have added control lines to the control horns; and I have added what I think are part of some sort of air filter/radiator/carburator unit that I saw on another build...Here's a picture of that build, not by me and I fished the image from the Interweb...

It's obviously a kit piece that did not come with my rendition of the K-5.

53674049671_414274a0b4_z_d.jpg

Yet I had a space moulded on mine that looks like it needs a part...

53674049656_b874dd6380_z_d.jpg

So I added some bits of plastic.

53674503565_d26b1b8be6_z_d.jpg

I'm ok with it.  What's left, you say?  Attaching the wheels, maybe a little exhaust stains...not much.  Some painting touch ups here and there.

--John

• Like 10

4 hours ago, John Masters said:

and I have added what I think are part of some sort of air filter/radiator/carburator unit that I saw on another build...Here's a picture of that build, not by me and I fished the image from the Interweb...

It's obviously a kit piece that did not come with my rendition of the K-5.

Being in Russia I wonder if that is a heat exchanger for the oil ? Possibly a cockpit heater ? Fluid circulates around the engines hot oil and then enters a cabin radiator for heating. Reminds me of my school buses, they had a similar feature on the floor boards. The liquid was heated by the engine/radiator and would flow along the outer edges of the floor boards. Always had to reach down just to warm my hands up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Being in Russia I wonder if that is a heat exchanger for the oil ? Possibly a cockpit heater ?

Yes...that is a good guess.  Something along those lines.  

• Like 1

Looking good. Not familiar with the type at all.

Corrugated metal was certainly a popular inter-war skin choice - Hugo Junkers had a lot to answer for!

Regards,

Adrian

Very well done, John! Nice little golden age airliner - they're so cute!