AModel 1/72nd scale Kalinin K-5, yet another 'Оловянный гусь' (Tin Goose)

OK.  While I wait patiently for the Texaco Ford Tri-Motor decals to be decided upon up in Finland, I will throw this one into the ring...yet another 'Tin Goose'...I seem to have them on the mind regarding this GB.  There is also a Junkers F.13 in the stash...Hmmm...

I have had this kit on the shelf for a while and it seems like a good time to bring it out.  Here's the lovely art work on the box.

53592868423_a7226bc11f_z_d.jpg

Big, bright red decals for the Aeroflot that will look really nice on the NMF.  I'm not sure, but I think this kit represents a 'first flight' of sorts to show off the great skills of the Soviet Motherland.  It was built in large quantities and replaced many of the other passenger planes that had been built in and purchased from other countries.  

Here is the sprue...Big wide wings.  

53592980559_9a9c419685_c_d.jpg

I'll do my best to make the interior look right.  I'll investigate to see if there any images online of the cockpit and passenger areas.

--John

• Like 17

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice choice John I was wondering how much Soviet equipment would make an appearance ? 

Thanks Dennis.  So far I think this is the first.

My goals today.  The seats are funny.  Typical AModel engineering.  Lots of little pieces to make one thing...

53593986346_a905933706_z_d.jpg

53594190358_301bcac32e_z_d.jpg

But it will work out.  I'll do it all in stages.  I lost one of the windows.  The Carpet Monster got it, so I closed off the window on the side door with some plastic card.  I'll finish the seats and the  Shvetsov M-22 (Bristol Jupiter) motor tomorrow.  Just the push rods for now.  And some cleaning up to do on the seats before the hand rests are attached.

53594306449_3339b595cf_z_d.jpg

53594432020_7c115661c5_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 10

Interesting subject choice John and as usual Amodel will make you work for it. Nice to see they provide the toilet in step 4 :D 

Don't go too far John - the GB does not appear to start until Saturday!

Pete

1 minute ago, PeterB said:

Don't go too far John - the GB does not appear to start until Saturday!

Oh jeez!  I thought it was last weekend!  Hit the brakes!  Ooops!  Thank you so much! 

• Haha 2

Now...where was I?

53613481696_1e4e36c507_z_d.jpg

Right.  Glueing the seats to the floor...attaching different bulkheads, etc...before I go any further, I'll give the interior some Light Grey...and some hairy brush work to bring out some details...In retrospect I should have done that first before assembly, and I could certainly undo it all, but I'll see.  It will be mostly grey anyway,.  I'll paint the seat cushions a reddish color, I think.  I don't know.  I'll see how I feel.  None of this will be seen anyway once the fuselage is closed up.  But I'll know...🧐

53612611517_04e01822c4_z_d.jpg

I assembled the wings...big, wide lifting surfaces for sure.

53613481701_d51bb44c6f_z_d.jpg

53613823144_7fc08d3916_z_d.jpg

That's it for now!

--John

• Like 10

On 3/28/2024 at 8:02 AM, CliffB said:

An aircraft that I'd never heard of before John, but it ticks all the right boxes

Yes.  Classic Soviet 1930s.  Probably built in the People's Community Tractor Factory.  Kidding, obviously...

I gave the insides some masks on the windows (outside too) and some light grey primer.  

53619493770_e9b4cc80f1_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

I guess something will be seen from outside. You can't get away with leaving them grey...

5 hours ago, John Masters said:

Not that any of this will be seen, but I added some colors...

53621609837_5ef17185bc_z_d.jpg

--John

Looks good, at least you know it’s there. Besides someone may peer in one day and see it. They’ll be amazed at the extra work you’ve done. 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

They’ll be amazed at the extra work you’ve done. 

Well, thank you, but fine art it is not! 😉

And I swear I took a couple more photos but I guess I didn't.  I haven't added the top of the fuselage yet.  I'll get an image of that before I close it up.

This is the underside.  It was a pretty decent fit but it did require a small amount of fettling and there will be some seams and narrow gaps to fill.

53622472922_164df93448_z_d.jpg

--And, yes...I removed the masks from the interior...

--John

• Like 6

Before I add the roof, here's a peek at the inside.

The cockpit...

53624358592_19f851ceb7_z_d.jpg

Where the happy comrades sit...

53625452618_7d1a2c0740_z_d.jpg

More later...

--John

• Like 6

The top of the fuselage went on with minimal fettling.  I had to really clamp and secure (and center) the front section and the tail.  I used CA for this.  Once that had set for an hour or so I brought the rest of the seams together with thin glue and secured it again.  

53626138173_1feb18db05_z_d.jpg

While that was happening I masked the cockpit glass.

53625044652_d2c94a56b9_z_d.jpg

After the glue had set, I cleaned up the edges of the fuselage and also the area around the cockpit where the glass will fit.  

In dry fitting the glass I realized that the side panels were just a smidge too large and would prevent a clean fit for the larger piece.  

They had to be cut down a bit with a razor saw.

53625044647_24c9470549_z_d.jpg

Then in they go!

53626269149_9947603df0_z_d.jpg

My fettling opened up some gaps in the glass.  It couldn't be helped.  I'm happy with the fit and the gaps can be easily filled with some plastic strip.

53626269159_2afaf7a8f7_z_d.jpg

I'll let that set up overnight.

--John

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Great work, John!

Thanks OM.  It will need some filler here and there but I have yet to encounter an AModel kit that does not.

• Like 1

A quick test fit of the wings-to-fuselage show very wide gaps.  These will need to be filled with plastic strip for sure.  That's ok.

53628071299_94db4728cf_z_d.jpg

The tail looks good...still, some filler will be required.

53628071269_809b594c36_z_d.jpg

So...then I went to attach the wings and I realized that I had glued the wing halves incorrectly...lower starboard to upper port, etc...the ailerons were not aligned.  Stupid of me.  It must have been late at night when I did that.  So...using the hobby knives, the curved blade especially, I caaaaarrrrreeeefuuullly began separating the firmly glued edges, blade pointing away from me and my fingers, wrists and arms...I was able to do it with almost no damage whatsoever.  Then I sanded down the edges a bit to remove any old glue and re-glued them, properly this time.  Egads, what an ordeal!   Realizing I hadn't taken any pictures of my near disaster work I almost separated them again to show you all but decided I had tempted the gods too much today already.  Best leave well enough alone!

I'll wait until tomorrow to continue.  Phew!

Very light damage to repair.  It could have been worse.

53627942378_29db46f385_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe the gaps were there because of mismatched upper/lower halves ? I wonder did that help with the gaps after you fixed the wings ?

Not at all actually.  It’s weird. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, John Masters said:

Thanks OM.  It will need some filler here and there but I have yet to encounter an AModel kit that does not.

I've only done their I-16, and yeah, there's a good model to be extracted from the kit, and fit will be what it is.

Spectacular save!

:clap2:

• Like 1