Curtiss Condor by Glencoe: Upper Wing On, Rigging Begun

Posted (edited)

Starting in on the wings, fellas....

A final bout of measure and arithmetic led to the conclusion each upper wing panel ought to be extended by 7mm, and each lower wing panel by 5mm. .This brings the spans up to within 4% of scale. The lower wing center section is underscale by just a couple of millimeters, which I will live with, and if one takes the upper wing center section running from aileron to aileron, this, too, is only short by about the same measure.

I put the cut in mid-panel, as there will be work needed to put in dihedral where panel meets center section.

d2mShWx.jpeg

rITYmmg.jpeg

I hoped to use a tab, as I had earlier on the lower wing nacelle to fuselage gap. I thought I could slide to the mark, set, and then fit sheet bent to a curve into the gap. It was hard to line up properly, the hollow in the wing section wasn't as commodious as on the lower center, so the tab was thinner, and snapped under strain of attempts at fine adjustment.

So I split the tip section on the seam, curved strips of 30thou sheet and attached them, top and bottom.

HhcCaB9.jpeg

The whole thing was getting a bit haggled by now, and the strips clearly would not stand up to necessary work. So I stuffed them solid enough with bits of scrap and CA gel.

IKiQg8V.jpeg

It didn't need undue sanding when joined.

BWJku4w.jpeg

The patch extension is just butted to the central piece. It's pretty solid, but not to be dropped, and I'll have to be careful to grip and work on the same side of these. There'll be three more, I expect I'll get better at it as I go. I'm pretty sure I can do the dihedral without a full cut.

James

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 13

• Old Man changed the title to Curtiss Condor by Glencoe: Wing Extensions Started
4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You're a better man than me, I couldn't do that kind of work and would just live with the length issues. Id be afraid of doing something that couldn't be fixed. 

Thanks, Uncle.

In for a penny, in for a pound. It's kind of fun.

Though I haven't managed one in a while, I've done a lot of scratch-building, and figure I can repair or replace most anything. I may be wrong, but it widens the horizon and steadies the nerves....

James

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Thanks, Uncle.

In for a penny, in for a pound. It's kind of fun.

Though I haven't managed one in a while, I've done a lot of scratch-building, and figure I can repair or replace most anything. I may be wrong, but it widens the horizon and steadies the nerves....

James

I actually want to do stuff like this. One I need is an 1/48 F-86H but no one makes one. So I would need to heavily modify and cross two other versions to get what I need. 

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

There are other ways.... :D

Steve.

58 minutes ago, Old Man said:

That there are, Sir....

..although they tend to be expensive 😇

• Haha 2

On 5/16/2024 at 7:38 AM, Toryu said:

A good surgeon you are!

I was kind of lucky the dimension came out right. Next pass will be more precise.

I'm going to put it aside a bit and get in a start on my Grumman now that the fleet's in.

James

Good to see some close attention to this kit. I must admit I don't temember the problem of the engine nacelles in different places. But then again I am a 'looks about right' modeller so probably fudged it somehow. Will keep an eye on your build 😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Got the wings extended, and given them their dihedral.

Here's the upper wing.

jQ5VGeH.jpeg

Dihedral break is at the inner end of the ailerons.

Here's the lower wing, top and bottom. Dihedral break is just outboard of the nacelles. The under surface is sawed through, the upper surface is scored, and bent to proper angle. Lower wing dihedral is greater than the upper wing's.

x6gORHA.jpeg

B45sFMs.jpeg

Here's the upper wing. I'm using the Tamiya Camel Yellow as a primer/base coat.

vHDZBVj.jpeg

Here is the lower wing, under primer.

zla8QrP.jpeg

At this point I figured I'd had enough aromatic hydrocarbons to last a few days, and went on to other projects. Should be back to it next weekend.

This is the last alteration, from here on it's surface detailing, assembly, scratching a part here and there.

James

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 12

• Old Man changed the title to Curtiss Condor by Glencoe: Wing Extensions Done And Dihedral Set
19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking forward to the next stages. 

So am I, Uncle. Glad to have the tweaks out of the way.

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting things squared away to paint took some effort, but nothing worth photographing. Here's the start of serious painting....

JdPjuFm.jpeg

The rattle-can yellow has been gone over with dark (reddish) Cadmium Yellow, the Olive Drab is a mix of black and a yellow ocher. Here's things after several coats:

lpJnMgW.jpeg

ftgUImr.jpeg

The cockpit roof has been attached:

tQNzl4A.jpeg

Eujrxsk.jpeg

The fit of lower wing to fuselage looks good from here:

xXUJD28.jpeg

Less so from here:

XTKEeN8.jpeg

And if I showed you the thing head-on it would make you weep. When firmly seated, the wing slants, starboard low, port high. This may be a 'me' problem, not a kit problem. I don't know what distortions my braces raising the dorsal spine may have wrought. A 30thou shim seems to fix it:

vz6AIA0.jpeg

NmkKeER.jpeg

The slot under the nose is emergency surgery. In handling, I managed to depress the rear starboard cockpit glazing. It was still hanging by its top joint, and the slot let me insert a toothpick to push it back into place.

t07wKMy.jpeg

HP9iSBl.jpeg

So far as I can tell, I have been able to dress all seams about the glazing without scratching the clear.

Next will be motors, and some decals. May even get to struts next pass....

James

• Like 10

• Old Man changed the title to Curtiss Condor by Glencoe: Now Brought To You In Living Color....
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice save on the glazing, sorry to hear of the wing imbalance. With all the work thats been done anything could be ever so slightly out and it will throw things off. 

The wing was an unpleasant surprise, Uncle. I was looking at the thing with an eye towards fit at the roots. I want the motors on before attaching the wing, and that means a good dozen blue and yellow stripes.

I think I've got a good shot at making the Gallery here.

James

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing I've been doing on this is worth photographing. I've been putting on coats of paint, polishing them, dealing with surface imperfections. I do have the key struts, those from the nacelles to the upper wing, sorted. So I've high hopes of getting the upper wing on and the booger rigged this weekend.

There has been a set-back, which may affect completion here. Wife makes decals for me, she's witchy-good with Photoshop. We do a test print directly on the paper to check, then cover that with decal film, tape down the edges, and run it through the printer again. For this build, I need the Bolling Field detachment emblem, and a blue on yellow number for the fin. Our printer chose to give up the ghost after the test print. Hopefully we'll have it replaced soon enough to have the decals in hand by the deadline. If it looks like it won't, then for group build purposes I'll have to 'finish' it in delivery scheme (straight olive and yellow, with national markings only). The cowling rings would have to be plain olive, but can be just tacked on with white glue, to be removed later for striping when the decals business is sorted.

"What a world, what a world...."

James

• Like 8

Still a lot of sand and paint and polish going on, but I have the nacelle to upper wing struts in hand. These will be enough to set the wing, so the interplane struts can be eased in afterwards.

AefCQhg.jpeg

This was a sort of trial run to see if the mating holes (well, little pits for glue) line up, and at what angles. Much of the gap at the rear strut owes to the tailfin tipping the posed piece a bit, its higher then the upper wing. The belly has got a lot more sanding and paint and polish since this.

Wi9haVK.jpeg

This is a test fit of the struts. They are 2mm round rod, flatted on the sides, assembled on double-face tape over a measured pattern. The fuselage/upper wing gap was too big, and I shortened them a bit.

ufiID3p.jpeg

Here they are at final length, matched to an 8mm long 'center strut'. There is glue only on the wing end of the struts, and even that's temporary for checking fit.

In case the decal situation is not resolved, I went ahead and improvised rudder stripes. It's a mix of paint and decal strips for the edges, and needs still a lick or two here and there up close.

tdvLvty.jpeg

ozqIh5w.jpeg

With these sorted, I can put the tailplane on, and mount the upper wing.

James

• Like 12

This is looking really good James. a triumph of your modelling skills over an old & ordinary kit. I do like the OD, made just the way they did nearly 90 0dd years ago. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Looking good in the drab and yellow.

12 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I do like the OD, made just the way they did nearly 90 0dd years ago.

It makes me wonder how a simple mix of pretty robust colours (black and yellow ochre) could manage to fade so quickly and in so many ways.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

This is looking really good James. a triumph of your modelling skills over an old & ordinary kit. I do like the OD, made just the way they did nearly 90 0dd years ago. :)

Steve.

Thanks, Steve.

I mix up a fresh bit for each coat. They're all about the same, but not quite. Gives lots of little variations in the solid color.

James

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good in the drab and yellow.

It makes me wonder how a simple mix of pretty robust colours (black and yellow ochre) could manage to fade so quickly and in so many ways.

Regards,

Adrian

It's quite a combination, the high visibility yellow and dull Army drab.

I wonder if the peace-time paints weathered as badly as the war-time articles. They were certainly well taken care of; got to keep the enlisted ranks busy.

James

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks great I wonder if it was quality of paint vs the use and location of an aircraft. 

Even if the peacetime stuff was no better, it was certainly better cared for, to the point of waxing the aeroplane in the early thirties.

James

• Like 3