Armstrong Whitworth Argosy

Hi again everyone.

In addition to my Bentley, I'm also hoping to build at least one Golden Age aircraft.

A big biplane with three engines would seem to be a good place to start :winkgrin:.

Armstrong_Whitworth_Argosy,_Card_No_03_(

Luckily, I have this 1/200 scale, white metal kit which was produced in the UK by Helmet Models.

spacer.png

My second-hand example has no box or instructions, but does at least have some (slightly yellowed), Imperial Airways decals.

Cheers

• Like 17

Welcome Cliff, that plane looks interesting but the wee tiny engine out front looks way underpowered even though I presume it had three in total. I see a 2nd one on the starboard wing so presume it had a 3rd. 

• Like 1

Another uncommon subject choice from a manufacturer I've never heard of before Cliff :speak_cool:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome Cliff, that plane looks interesting but the wee tiny engine out front looks way underpowered even though I presume it had three in total. I see a 2nd one on the starboard wing so presume it had a 3rd. 

Thanks Dennis.  Yes, it's a tri-motor and was used by Imperial Airways on their European routes.  As in the States, it was part of a move towards multi-engine safety on commercial aircraft.

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Another uncommon subject choice from a manufacturer I've never heard of before Cliff :speak_cool:

Thanks Col.  At one time there was a very active 1/200 'One True Scale', movement in the UK.  There were several 'cottage industry' producers working in metal and/or resin.  Sadly, most of the protagonists have now passed away, although a few remain, largely in support of the wargaming market.  The new kids on the block are the 3D-printers - they're output is prolific, but IMHO lacks the character of the 'old school' producers ;).

3 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Always enjoy your metal plane builds... amazing what you can do with them in that scale.

Thank you :).  I'm slowly getting to appreciate metal as a medium.  It's still a pain to work with, but at least the finished results are satisfyingly heavy!

Cheers

• Like 3

Nice to see another unusual subject join the fray. Those between-wars airliners radiated a lot of atmosphere, and they didn't lose any emergency exit doors in flight...!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

Nice to see another unusual subject join the fray. Those between-wars airlines radiated a lot of atmosphere, and they didn't lose any emergency exit doors in flight...!

From a time when things were still made with pride rather than profit in mind.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

one passenger who went missing on a flight across the Channel..

At that time the toilets emptied through open orifices in the bottom of the plane...!

• Haha 3

Very interesting! I wonder how efficient that central engine was, with that massive fuselage behind. It's this kind of naivety that attracts me to many Golden Age designs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all.

I'm waiting for some paint to dry on my Bentley, so thought I'd make a start on this Argosy.

I've prepped and painted the main parts - a few coats of primer were required to fill some occasional surface roughness, but nothing too onerous.

P1140025.JPG

Unusually for 1/200 metal kits, the fuselage is hollow and includes rows of tiny seats.

The windows will need glazing and because the seat backs overlap them slightly, I think my usual Kystal Klear would be a non-starter.  Instead, I'm planning to use a strip of clear decal film.  I've done this once before on a 1/72 DC-2 and it worked OK - it should be even more straightforward on this tiddler.

My second-hand kit came with two copies of the decal sheet and both were heavily yellowed.  I taped one sheet to a South facing window for a few days and here's the result.  It's magic!

P1140026.JPG

There's still some very faint yellowing, but I think it will work fine on the silver.  However, I've just realised that I'll actually need to use the second sheet too, as the large registration letters appear on both wings - so I'll need to give it the window treatment as well.

Decals are provided for two aircraft, a silver one (-BOZ) and a blue one (-BLO).  I found this image of a period postcard on the internet, which has taken me down the blue route.

argosy.webp

Here's the source.

The good news is that the blue side decals will also provide my 'glazing' - the bad news is that I'll have to paint the nose and other bits of the fuselage to match.

Cheers

• Like 8

Interesting build, I'll follow your progresses on this one!

Cheers,

François

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress to report - good and bad news!

P1140061.JPG

The good news is that the ancient decals have worked well so far :)

The bad news is that the decal blue now seems lighter than when it was on the sheet :(

To be honest, the mis-match between the decal and paint blue is much less noticeable in the flesh and at times, looks almost deliberate...

I'm confident that it'll be 'OK' once the fuselage is suitably obscured by wings, stuts, engines and copious amounts of rigging!

Cheers

• Like 5