Sea Gladiator - 802 NAS - HMS Glorious 1/32 ICM

I still cannot find the photo I referred to. It was of  K5519 landing on Glorious. 

I have found an interesting thread on Britmodeller entitled "Orthochromatic B/W film question with regard to yellow ..." which talks about the issue.

I have already painted my fin yellow, and added an 802 Sqn badge,  If anyone comes up with proof that the fin should have been black (it has been suggested that black indicated the Squadron Commander's aircraft) I shall leave the fin and change the serial number. 

• Like 1

I think your approach is probably a good idea redeye. I have Model Alliance - Wings & Waves part 1. This has the Gladiator with a black fin but also has decals for a Hawker Hind and a Swordfish, both have yellow fins. Seems odd the Gladiator would have a different colour?

p?i=27f662d10c821578dcc0fd039abcaa07

Atb, Steve.

Posted (edited)

Model alliance seem to have got in a bit of a muddle. At one point on their 1/72 wings and waves they show, correctly, a Hawker Nimrod. but on the 1/48 set they show a Nimrod as a Hind. There was a naval version of the Hart, which like the Hind was a two seater, but that was the Osprey. Fondly known to the R.N. as an 'art wiv an 'ook.

Edited by redeye1

Further to my comment on 3 May, the wings and waves decals for the Gladiator also have the diamond pattern on the top wing in blue, which was of course the colour for Courageous.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 22:52, triumphfan said:

I think your approach is probably a good idea redeye. I have Model Alliance - Wings & Waves part 1. This has the Gladiator with a black fin but also has decals for a Hawker Hind and a Swordfish, both have yellow fins. Seems odd the Gladiator would have a different colour?

p?i=27f662d10c821578dcc0fd039abcaa07

Atb, Steve.

I don't think that citing artwork for decal sheets helps here, unless impeccably researched with appropriate references.

Black fins were one method of indicating the C/Os aircraft or section leaders aircraft. Practice  varied hugely between Squadrons: from solid black, through horizontal bars (usually section leaders) and checkered fins and wingtips. In the case of Sea Gladiator N5517, it was the C/O's aircraft so the fin is most likely correctly depicted as black. There is more doubt about Swordfish K5960, as the reference photo does not seem to show a very intense colour on the fin.  Nevertheless, aircraft K, as section leader, could  have a black fin, though one or two horizontal stripes for aircraft F and K would be more typical.  However, I think I have a photo of all of 823 Squadron over Glorious showing all section leaders in black, so K5960 is also likely black in my view.  I don't think I can recall seeing solid fin colours used to identify the parent carrier (sections perhaps, but not carrier) - and if a solid fin colour was used to identify the carrier, it would seem logical that all aircraft in the squadron carried the same fin marking. In the case of 802 Sea Gladiators and 823 Swordfish this was most definitely not the case.

HTH

• Like 1