The fastest steam locomotive in the world

9 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Not in the time period for this GB as built in 1951 - some spent their working life in Egypt  and one if preserved at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre

Wheras in true Cinderella fashion this one is too early

https://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/1903-electric-autocar

But it is a fantastic piece of restoration and the forebear of all railcars in the world!

What Enzo needs is a nu-cast one, or join me in minion scale for Langley models

https://www.langleymodels.co.uk/awd1/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5065&search=railcar

Normal service will resume shortly (with something somewhat faster)

I'm still cleaning up the Mallard bodyshell but I have done some work on the first carriage.

I found a video on Youtube where the chap was using Citadel Shade Seraphim Sepia as a wash to provide a better finish, so I gave that a try.  I also used some Reikland Fleshshade on some panels.

spacer.png

Compare it to an untreated carriage (at top).

spacer.png

After viewing the references posted by @Mjwomack it's clear that I will have to repaint the roof to a much darker grey. 

I have also started to restore the lining on the beading around the windows by drybrushing them with yellow paint.  I don't think I can make a good job of the rest of the lining, so that will be represented by yellow stripe decals.  That will take a long time!

• Like 10

Still working on refining the valances on the engine but I've also started on the tender.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Mallard's tender for the record run was a non-corridor tender so I went all hack and slash on the tender bodyshell.   I removed the corridor connector and the corridor cover on the tank top.

spacer.png

I will probably plate the whole rear panel over with plastic card.

spacer.png

I also removed the coal load.  The moulded coal is not very realistic.  I could have simply added a layer of real coal over the top but I'm not a fan of the "topped off tender" look. 

spacer.png

• Like 8

On 4/2/2024 at 6:03 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I'm still cleaning up the Mallard bodyshell but I have done some work on the first carriage.

I found a video on Youtube where the chap was using Citadel Shade Seraphim Sepia as a wash to provide a better finish, so I gave that a try.  I also used some Reikland Fleshshade on some panels.

spacer.png

Compare it to an untreated carriage (at top).

spacer.png

After viewing the references posted by @Mjwomack it's clear that I will have to repaint the roof to a much darker grey. 

I have also started to restore the lining on the beading around the windows by drybrushing them with yellow paint.  I don't think I can make a good job of the rest of the lining, so that will be represented by yellow stripe decals.  That will take a long time!

Hi Enzo

Back in the 1980's when I had my second attempt at model railways up and running I repainted, lined and marked up  a lot of coaches using PC-Pressfix lining and numbers/letters etc. Tedious but could work quite well. I was about to start on a rake of 5 SR Maunsells when family circumstances meant my layout had to be dismantled and consigned to the attic, so they were painted but got no further. HMRS still sell the ex PC range as you may already know, but do not seem to have LNER coach lining (if indeed PC ever made any - I may have had to paint that myself though I know I used lining transfers for BR and LMS coaches).

Good luck

Pete

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I removed the corridor connector

Like you up until 3 days ago I would have used the term "corridor connector" but on another forum I am active on someone pointed out that this term is actually only used by modellers, that the actual name for this item is a "gangway connection".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've lost the will to live with the constant fill-sand-repeat cycle on the valances so I think this is as good as I am going to get.  :)

spacer.png

I gave the thing a shot of blue.  This is Com-Art Pthalo Blue.   It's not the final colour though as it is far too bright.   It's a shame as the Com-Art paint is lovely to spray.  It is airbrush ready, lovely and thin but covers beautifully.   It might be suitable as Great Eastern Railway blue.

spacer.png

More work on the tender.  I plated over the remains of the gangway connection (thanks @Paul821 :) ) with plastic card.

spacer.png

• Like 15

I resprayed the blue.  This is Vallejo 70.809 Royal Blue.

spacer.png

It's better, but it's still not right.  :shrug:

Of course the easy option would be to use Railmatch or Precision enamel paints, but I really don't like using enamels these days.  I'll look for other acrylic options.

• Like 7

On 4/11/2024 at 8:06 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

'll look for other acrylic options.

This link might help

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/104851-the-coronation-the-silhouette-mr-jenkinson-and-me/#comment-2083843

Some people say that Ford Fjord Blue is a good match.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 8:06 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I resprayed the blue.  This is Vallejo 70.809 Royal Blue.

spacer.png

It's better, but it's still not right.  :shrug:

Of course the easy option would be to use Railmatch or Precision enamel paints, but I really don't like using enamels these days.  I'll look for other acrylic options.

Yes, its a pity that Howes have only produced part of their range of Railmatch paints in acrylic, and that does not include Garter Blue, though I don't seem to remember having trouble spraying their enamels back when I was repainting all my locos etc. Humbrol do however include Garter Blue in their acrylic rail paints range, though I have never tried it. Their SR Malachite worked pretty well for me so it might be worth a try.😄

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Another day, another blue.  This one is Vallejo 7.087 Steel Blue. 

I'm working to the colour chip in Railway Liveries 1927-1947 by Brian Haresnape, published by Ian Allan

spacer.png

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy an enamel paint.

• Like 3

Unfortunately the later BR express blue never ran (as far as I know) with any of the A4s with the valances on that were removed to make the fitters life a lot easier for maintenance and repairs. The early ones were Garter blue, which is much lighter :) 

Ian 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

This one's a rather attractive blue.... 

spacer.png

I saw her stablemate sir Nigel Gresely in the steel at the Nene Valley last spring and it's even better in reality, but as @Redstaff says, it's BR rather than LNER blue. Which saves @Enzo the Magnificent being spammed out with my photos (but it might be time to change my profile picture!)

• Like 2

Having a quick search around, the only real choice if you want to use acrylic is "Humbrol Garter Blue RC404 Acrylic Rail Paint 14ml Pot"

Various enamels which you don't want to use, or there is Tamiya TS10 French blue in a rattle can which looks pretty close, but you may not want to go that route either 🤔

Ian :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Having a quick search around, the only real choice if you want to use acrylic is "Humbrol Garter Blue RC404 Acrylic Rail Paint 14ml Pot"

Various enamels which you don't want to use, or there is Tamiya TS10 French blue in a rattle can which looks pretty close, but you may not want to go that route either 🤔

Ian :) 

Beware of purchasing the Humbrol paint. It's not now in their range and some batches of the Humbrol paint of that era don't have a long shelf life. I purchased a number of pots of various railway paints, some were good and others totally unusable.?

Looking both my pictures of Mallard and others on the web it is noticeable how the colour cast changes according to the ambient light and the film stock.

• Like 2

The colour in this photo is not quite right but as close as I can get to what my old Precision Paint "Garter Blue" looked like after I reworked my old Hornby "Seagull" as "Sir Nigel Gresley" back in the 1980's, giving me the option of running it pre-nationalisation or later as a preserved locomotive.

DSC09877

I changed the chimney back to a single for the conversion. For comparison this is my "Silver Fox" which I upgraded about 5 years ago using the 3 Grey scheme from the current Precision range.

DSC09875-crop

The enamel paint went on pretty well.

I also have "Mallard" in BR Green without the valances. I did seriously consider at one time converting one of my A4 models into the rebuilt W1 number 10000, probably in its BR form as 60700, based on a conversion I saw many years ago in Railway Modeller. With the 4-6-4 wheel layout it was a sort of enlarged A4 and I thought it would look good alongside my streamlined P2 2-8-2. I believe that Hornby may have now released the W1 in both early and late forms to go with their P2, and were I still running a layout I wold probably have bought one.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

I eventually bit the bullet and bought a jar of Railmatch 622 Garter Blue enamel paint, which arrived today.  I'm now re-learning enamel spraying techniques which I haven't used in over thirty years.   The enamel needs to be thinned a lot more than the acrylics that I am used to using but it keeps its colour. It also doesn't have issues with surface tension, like heavily thinned acrylics do.  Let's just hope that it doesn't take from now until Easter to dry...   :pray:

I have also been reminded just how much thinners are needed to clean an airbrush properly.  You don't notice it with acrylics as the thinner is just water.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I eventually bit the bullet and bought a jar of Railmatch 622 Garter Blue enamel paint, which arrived today.  I'm now re-learning enamel spraying techniques which I haven't used in over thirty years.   The enamel needs to be thinned a lot more than the acrylics that I am used to using but it keeps its colour. It also doesn't have issues with surface tension, like heavily thinned acrylics do.  Let's just hope that it doesn't take from now until Easter to dry...   :pray:

I have also been reminded just how much thinners are needed to clean an airbrush properly.  You don't notice it with acrylics as the thinner is just water.

I seem to remember that due to the thinners, sprayed enamel dries a lot faster than hand brushed usually.

Pete

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I seem to remember that due to the thinners, sprayed enamel dries a lot faster than hand brushed usually.

That does seem to be the case.  It is drying rather well.  Oddly enough, it has shown up blemishes on the valances which were not shown by the previous acrylic paints.  I will need to spend more time polishing.

• Like 2