Dora Wings 1/48 Republic P-43B/C Lancer paint schemes #DW48034

Steve147

Hi All

(Still waiting for decals)

So just started to build the above kit and sorting out which paint scheme to use.

There are two suggested:

1. Republic P-43B Lancer, A56-6, 1 Photoreconnaissance Unit, RAAF Coomalite Creek, Northern Territory - Fuselage and tops of wings look like green (could be olive drab) and either brown or red brown, underside a grey (probably neutral grey - used for Lancer P-43A-1); and

2. Republic P-43C Lancer, 40-2897, converted as specialized photographic reconnaissance aircraft,1942 - Fuselage  and tops of wings probably olive drab, with the underside neutral grey as well, with white engine cowling.

I'm looking to paint scheme 1, so it would help if someone could tell me what 'brown' (if it is brown) it is. The list of required paints does not give any 'brown', nor does it show what paint to use where on the final build, it just shows where to put the decals!

I checked the instructions on Scalemates (instruction pdf) and that had the same manual as I have.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I think you should post this in the "Military Aircraft Modelling Discussion by Era" - "Aircraft WWII" section, so that more forum members will see it. This "Paint" section doesn't have so many readers. Could it be RAAF Foliage Green and Earth Brown, or were they already painted in the USA, in some US made RAF colour equivalents?

Dora Wings instructions are not so great. I have been thinking about getting the 1/72 version, but the instructions look pretty bad, the step where the instrument panel is attached is missing, and the steps for landing gear look quite vague.

According to Geoffrey Pentlands RAAF Camouflage and Markings Vol 1 page 100 photo showing crashed Lancer the scheme was dark earth foliage green with sky blue undersides same as the Lockheed Lightnings of No 1 PRU at Coomalie. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I think you should post this in the "Military Aircraft Modelling Discussion by Era" - "Aircraft WWII" section, so that more forum members will see it. This "Paint" section doesn't have so many readers. Could it be RAAF Foliage Green and Earth Brown, or were they already painted in the USA, in some US made RAF colour equivalents?

Dora Wings instructions are not so great. I have been thinking about getting the 1/72 version, but the instructions look pretty bad, the step where the instrument panel is attached is missing, and the steps for landing gear look quite vague.

@TheKinksFan@MODellerMany thanks.  I wasn't sure about where to post this, as technically, it is a 'paints' problem.  No doubt had I posted in the "Aircraft WWII" section, someone would have suggested posting it here instead.

Looking at other Dora Wings models I've previously built, paints in those were RAF Dark Earth and RAF Dark Green, so will use either the Humbrol or Revell earth and dark Green paints.

This kit also did not show how to attach the instrument panel either and the undercarriage is also quite vague as well.

Another thing is that the list of suggested paints are wrong as well! They have listed Clear Green and Burnt Iron as Tamiya XF25, and Signal Red and Engine Grey also, as Tamiya XF2. 

Finally, for reference, Section 12 (parts E4/E6) fit on the underside of the fuselage behind the wings, clearly shown in sections 28 & 29, but not shown how in the instructions. 

Once again many thanks for your responses.

Lifecolor do two dedicated WW2 RAAF paint sets. A good match for Foliage green is the US medium green ( Revell 148) and Dark earth (Rev 187) .

@MODeller

I bought two LifeColor paint sets for the IBG 1/700 scale boats a couple years ago.  I tried to find the paints that these paints were equivalent to beforehand, but couldn't (despite posting on here), and  ended up buying the sets. I've used the White, Black and Hull Red since, and recently the RN Medium Sea Grey on the Aoshima 1/700 HMS Hermes, but the rest are still in their boxes.  I don't particular want to buy another couple of sets, just for them to sit on the shelf gathering dust as well (they're starting to thicken up also, so will need to be thinned).  

I'll use the two Revell colors you suggested. 

Many thanks

On 09/03/2024 at 12:43, Steve147 said:

I'm looking to paint scheme 1, so it would help if someone could tell me what 'brown' (if it is brown) it is. The list of required paints does not give any 'brown', nor does it show what paint to use where on the final build, it just shows where to put the decals!

1 hour ago, MODeller said:

A good match for Foliage green is the US medium green ( Revell 148) and Dark earth (Rev 187) .

53043000921_1eb468a24b_b.jpg20230713_142559 by losethekibble, on Flickr

RAAF paint chips in a Red Roo P-39 book, with Vallejo, the Earth Brown is darker and more chocolate than RAF Dark Earth.

the Foilage Green is matched to US Medium green, a blue hued dark green.  Mine was a mix of Vallejo

Note Sky Blue is a very pale blue grey, a green rather than purple blue.

there are not masses of RAAF P-43 pics

a few here

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/index.php?/category/republic-lancer

Build here, colours look good.

I don't know of the pattern is a best guess based on photos or if there are records

@Ed Russell  may have some suggestions

HTH

There is a standard pattern for RAAF single engine aircraft, based on the RAF one.

53582019526_10fdefc07d_k.jpg

However, not every aircraft, particularly repaints, followed it.

The builder of the P-43 linked above @oz rb fan is a member of our local model club and painted the P-43 following our interpretation of the photos.

• Thanks 1

i built it a couple of years ago and from the information i could gather it was RAAF Foliage green and RAAF dark earth over RAAF sky...most of the information says they were repainted on arrival to Australia as well as having the oblique cameras removed .

53582326448_4030791b19_z.jpgA56_5_Pic.sized_ by paul sabin, on Flickr

this is a well known pic of A56-5

53582098911_7c285a7d2a.jpg178030479_2876837892589009_2235168938145949234_n by paul sabin, on Flickr

a lees well known shot(and colourized) and the only shot i have seen from the other side of the plane.

53581233607_544869d5ea_z.jpg1_A_P_U_Laverton_Sept_1942_P_43A_1_Lancer_A56_6 (1) by paul sabin, on Flickr

taken at Laverton in Victoria.

51530528382_90e91997b1_k.jpg243669188_1646822065513159_115154185900833720_n by paul sabin, on Flickr

and the finished model....hope these pics help.