Adam's second attempt - Dorniers

That's looking very good, Adam :D I love masking splinter camo too, very satisfying

James

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Late last night I got the landing gear on and painted up the props.

20240410_010753

I also cleared some space in my display cabinet on my 1/72 ww2 shelf. Hopefully not too long before it goes in here for good.

20240410_010821

Behind it is another Do17, an old tool Airfix one depicting one of the earlier variants which I think are a poor more elegant than the Do17Z.

20240410_010842

• Like 8

I've made a start with decals

20240410_151237

The tail area needs another blast of gloss though before any decals go on around there. I'll do that later today and gloss the props as well. 

20240410_151242

20240410_151254

• Like 11

The decals are bringing it to life, Adam. Am I remembering correctly that you built the earlier model in the Do 17 GB?

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

The decals are bringing it to life, Adam. Am I remembering correctly that you built the earlier model in the Do 17 GB?

James

No, I couldn't enter that group build because uni got in the way, but I was watching keenly. I built the Do17F back in 2019, probably one of my first builds posted on the forum, though it did sit unfinished without decals for about a year until I got some usable aftermarket ones. 

The identical kit I recently added to my stash will probably use one of the sets of markings from my RS Models kit also in the stash

• Like 1

Don't we all love stencil decals! Not quite as many as a Phantom but sure feels that way when you're looking at a sheet full of them...

20240410_212713

Plenty more to do yet 

• Like 9

The stencils may be fiddly, but they do add another bit of interest to it. It's looking very good. I really like the F as well, I need to add something with the early camouflage like that to the stash

James

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 81-er said:

The stencils may be fiddly, but they do add another bit of interest to it. It's looking very good. I really like the F as well, I need to add something with the early camouflage like that to the stash

James

I think some early Do17zs had the three colour splinter camo. Would be interesting to see a model of that. Or if you're brave, you could try the infamously difficult Roden 1/72 early He111

• Like 1

There have been a handful more stencil markings added since the last update. I'm heading off to Bristol and Gloucestershire Gliding Club for an event from tonight, so this will be on hold until Monday. 

4 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I think some early Do17zs had the three colour splinter camo. Would be interesting to see a model of that. Or if you're brave, you could try the infamously difficult Roden 1/72 early He111

I'll have to have a look into that, a Do 17Z in that scheme sounds very nice. I'm quite happy to stay well away from the Roden He 111 though!

2 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

There have been a handful more stencil markings added since the last update. I'm heading off to Bristol and Gloucestershire Gliding Club for an event from tonight, so this will be on hold until Monday. 

That's simply not good enough, Adam. Here we all are waiting to see the finished result, and you're swanning off to have a social life! Kids these days... ;) Enjoy the trip

James

• Haha 1

I don't know of any Zs in the 61/62/63 scheme.  There was a demonstrator that had a three-colour scheme, but with a free-flowing pattern and the colours used have been open to argument.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't know of any Zs in the 61/62/63 scheme.  There was a demonstrator that had a three-colour scheme, but with a free-flowing pattern and the colours used have been open to argument.

Ah maybe that's what I'm thinking of then

Just found this thread, Adam - some lovely work here.  I've got one of these lurking in my stash, waiting for me to build up the courage to build it.  You've done a really nice job on yours.

• Like 1

What a weekend away that was! Just going to sidetrack the thread for a minute.

Not one, but two Slingsby T21s turned up! 

WB922_Ryan

BFY_winch_1

I had a go in BFY... and flew a loop! You wouldn't think it was aerobatic, nor that such an old glider would still be being thrown around the sky like that, but it spent most of the first day taking people up to do a loop. 

The other, WB922, has some interesting history. It was known as the "Royal Barge" in its time with the Air Cadets because Prince Andrew flew it for his first solo. Probably not something that gets mentioned so often anymore...

I did some solo aviation after that in one of the club single seaters on the Saturday, but it was only a short flight. 

Sunday's forecast looked cosmic, so I decided to drive all the way from Nympsfield (near Bristol) to my home club at Cranwell (Lincolnshire) to have a go at a 5-hour duration flight. Unfortunately it was not to be as the conditions caught me out a bit just before 2 hours. Oh well, the season is just beginning so I'll have plenty more chances soon. 

Anyway, back to the workbench now. The weekend left me exhausted so I didn't do anything on the Dornier until yesterday.

I got the decals finished. The tail needed another coat of gloss as it was missed on the first gloss coat, but once I had that done there were no more issues.

20240418_184946

20240418_185001

Fortunately my plan with the canopy has worked well. It's come off without any damage so I can add the guns.

20240418_185022

• Like 7

On 4/8/2024 at 7:02 PM, Adam Poultney said:

20240408_174039

Canopies all masked up and hopefully I'll be getting some primer on this tonight. The Eduard mask set was uncharacteristically awkward with most of the pieces not being cut properly leading to some tearing and frayed edges around the corners. I've never had a problem with Eduard masks before so hopefully this is just one bad example. 

Bit late picking this up, but FYI I did have one set of Eduard masks that did not seem to have been cut all the way through. It was a total mess as trying to get the individual masks to come of the backing sheet caused them to stretch and distort so they did not fit properly, so I complained to them direct and they sent me a replacement set. 

Seems to be pretty rare but apparently it does happen.

Pete

That's a great looking model. Adam, well done :clap2:She looks fantastic alongside her older sister

James

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Now to decide what I build next... fair to say I'm all Dorniered out, so it won't be one of the many other Do17 and related kits in the stash. 

• Like 1

Here's the RFI thread with more photos:

My next project will be a pair of Eduard Bf109s. Unfortunately not a Zwilling so it won't be in this group build. 

• Like 3