Adam's second attempt - Dorniers

My first entry, the Merlin Beaufighter concersion, has been shelved. I'll pick it up again in a while. In the meantime I'll be working on some Dorniers! Well, I will be when I can find the time because I'm so busy with uni work at the moment. 

I've got quite a few Dornier kits in the stash at the moment. Four of them. If I get carried away I might build all of them eventually, or I might just build one. I've got:

The RS Models Do17F, which looks... interesting. I'm not sure if this is really a better starting point than the old kit. Speaking of which...

Airfix Do17E/F. I bought this a few weeks ago and I'm actually quite looking forward to the build. I've already done one of these, way back before covid happened. I remember the build wasn't too difficult but involved a lot of filler. 

Airfix Do17Z. A nice, fairly modern kit. I've got a masking set for it so that's one tedious task eliminated. 

And finally, the ancient Airfix Do217E. This came with the Airfix Do17E/F and it's what I'm going to start with. The plan is a fairly simple build, I'll sand off the raised panels and scribe in recessed lines but other than that I'm just going to build. Decals have been kindly supplied by another member on the forum which is very much appreciated. 

I'll update with some pictures when I start it 

• Like 7

I'll look forward to whatever you manage to build of that lot, Adam. I'm building the new 17Z myself right now, it's a very nice kit

James

• 4 weeks later...

Well this never really got off the ground... I suddenly got very busy at university between course things and dealing with issues running the uni gliding club, so the Do217 only got as far as one wing being assembled. 

I really don't like raised panel lines so I'll be adding recessed lines across the whole model. I overdid them on this wing so they've had to be filled in to reduce the trenches that would make 2000s airfix jealous. 

20240323_165957

20240323_170001

I'm home for Easter now and might actually have some time for a bit of modelling. Though I'm quite enthusiastic for the Do217 build, it's one I want to complete at uni because it's easy to just do a little bit at a time on an old kit like this, especially when it comes to the panel lines and general application of heaps of filler. 

So with the 217 safely packed away in its box, I dug the 17Z out of the stash and made a start yesterday.

20240402_144046

20240402_223257

Not going too overboard on the cockpit. Basic colours should be enough. 

• Like 14

It's looking a bit more complete now, hopefully not too long until I can start putting some paint on it. The engines were extremely troublesome. Part of that is my doing - I tried putting them on the wrong wings at first and somehow had part of one of them on wonky. Once that was fixed though, the cowlings were a pain. They are made of four parts: two large side pieces, the leading edge and the small top part. The top bit needs to be added after the cowling is in place. It doesn't fit well at all. I don't know if that's down to my own error or just the kit. 

Interestingly, I noted the engines are pretty different to the ones on ICM's 1/72 Do17Z (I have the remains of one lying around that was an abandoned build from a few years ago). I don't know much about Do17zs, but I'm curious if that's just one or both kits making mistakes, or the Do17Z did have different engine options. 

20240405_211651

20240405_211705

• Like 8

A bit of progress this weekend. Not much but it's something. 

20240407_232337

20240407_232347

The top canopy isnt glued yet. I need access to the interior after painting to install guns. I'll probably tack it on with a little glue. 

• Like 12

It's coming along nicely, Adam, and thanks for the warning about the small top bit on the cowlings. I'd hoped to add them (and that piece) after paint, I might have to change my mind now. I'm also planning on tacking the main canopy & nose glazing in place to fit the guns later, so much less risk of breaking one that way! Did the ventral gun window fit ok on your example? Mine's needed a fair bit of filler, but that might just be down to an error on my part

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

Did the ventral gun window fit ok on your example? Mine's needed a fair bit of filler, but that might just be down to an error on my part

It needed only a little filler, though it was tight. I could see how you could easily end up needing a bit more work to fit it

• Like 1

20240408_174039

Canopies all masked up and hopefully I'll be getting some primer on this tonight. The Eduard mask set was uncharacteristically awkward with most of the pieces not being cut properly leading to some tearing and frayed edges around the corners. I've never had a problem with Eduard masks before so hopefully this is just one bad example. 

• Like 5

You're off to a good start with the painting, Adam. Is that another Do 17 I see in the background as well?

James

3 hours ago, 81-er said:

You're off to a good start with the painting, Adam. Is that another Do 17 I see in the background as well?

James

Yes that's an icm do17 I started years ago but never finished as I made some mistakes on it. I've got it out just for comparison and in case I need any spares. There's a surprising number of discrepancies between the two kits in details that you'd think should be the same. 

The joyous task of masking the undersides. Too many curves not just nice straight lines

20240409_160653

The camera has the colour all wrong but this is RLM71. I decided to just give the whole upper surface a coating of it so i don't end up with any issues with the edges of the masked areas. Once masked, the areas that will be RLM 70 will get another preshade.

20240409_170139

• Like 8

I'm making rapid progress today! With any luck I'll get this finished in the next two days before I'm off to Nympsfield for a gliding event.

As much as I sometimes dislike masking, doing splinter camouflage is very satisfying. 

20240409_190743

Re-pre-shaded

20240409_191606

RLM70 on. Not convinced by how the camera captures this either. 

20240409_192427

• Like 9

A quick blast of Vallejo gloss varnish has the Dornier shiny and ready for decals. In the background you might see the landing gear in primer. I'm hoping to assemble this before applying the decals. 

20240409_224057

20240409_224131

• Like 8