A-10 Wheels up?

Has anyone attempted building the Academy A-1OC wheels up? I ask, as obviously, the up configuration isn't as straightforward as most jets with the wheel on show but i reckon it should definitely be doable....

15 hours ago, iainpeden said:

The 1:1 scale version was designed to land wheels up

It certainly is

012_World_Everstine_A10_Crash-1024x579.j

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Back in the 80s or 90s I went to a talk by an A-10 pilot from Woodbridge/Bentwaters.

Someone asked him if it was true that the A-10 had been designed to land with it's wheel up in an emergency.

He had never heard that, and thought that if you tried it, the gun muzzle would dig in an flip you over.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, I Dole said:

Back in the 80s or 90s I went to a talk by an A-10 pilot from Woodbridge/Bentwaters.

Someone asked him if it was true that the A-10 had been designed to land with it's wheel up in an emergency.

He had never heard that, and thought that if you tried it, the gun muzzle would dig in an flip you over.

Sounds a plausible outcome to be honest. I can't really imagine any aircraft designer setting out with the intention for its design to be constrained by the ability to land with no undercarriage. Probably a myth that's come from the main wheels being partially on show once retracted.

Not as a constraint, but as an advantage that "fell out" of the basic design.  Given how much of the A-10 design was constrained by survivability and recovery, it is by no means unlikely that it was indeed considered and deliberately chosen.

However, quite a lot of aircraft in the early days of retractable undercarriages were designed with semi-exposed wheels  with the thought of a safer landing should the mechanism fail.  Not quite so unimaginable.

As for the gun muzzle digging in, the A-10 was like all others in landing nose high.  As shown by the example above it doesn't happen.  At least on a hard runway.

• Like 1

The A-10 was designed from the outset for maximum survivability over the battlefield. Flight controls are double with manual revision, the engines are set high and apart so one can take a SAM hit without the other. Also YES it was designed to land in an emergency with the gear still up, this is why the wheels protrude out of the bottom of the under carridge pods and the reason they are set lower on the wing. They would land nose attitude up like as shown in the picture above. The lower parts of the rear stabilizers are designed to skid. As to the comment on the gun muzzle digging in you would have to be seriously nose down for this to happen as show in the picture above.  There have been a few land over the years with the gear up and in all cases its worked like it should. 

• Like 1

It was designed to get back to base damaged, then to be able to be repaired and re-enter the fight, not just land wheels up somewhere else. 

I'm sure I read that the exposed tyre is what prevents use of an inboard Maverick missile on the triple rack as it would fry the tyre upon launch, hence only 4 rather than 6 missiles are the maximum load for an A10.

Here's a better image of a different crash showing it resting on it's tires wheels up.  Looks like it had a major gun malfunction the way the muzzle cover is coming apart. The pilot in the crash above should have jettisoned stores before doing a belly landing, it looks the plane is sitting a little higher like it's resting on the crushed external stores and not the landing gear. 

I like that someone thought it necessary to put chocks on the starboard wheel to keep it from rolling away.:rofl:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes that was a gun malfunction. A pilot from Bentwaters had one of these over the Wash, quite a trouser changing moment apparently !

On 18/03/2024 at 16:00, RMP2 said:

I'm sure I read that the exposed tyre is what prevents use of an inboard Maverick missile on the triple rack as it would fry the tyre upon launch, hence only 4 rather than 6 missiles are the maximum load for an A10.

That is correct. The only time you see a triple installation is for demonstration purposes.

• Like 1

Of course there is another option Since you are building in 1/72, why not do a search for 1/144 weapons and see if anthing suitable fits?

Pappy

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 8:02 AM, I Dole said:

Based on the full 564-page flight manual for the A-10A (revision 8, Feb 1983), there is no problem landing with the gear retracted. The book gives you gives a standard-looking procedure with no special caveats or warnings. If an aircraft has any particular hazards of that nature then normal mil practice in the flight manual would be to instruct the pilot to eject.

It reminds me very much of the Yak-52, which as an ab-initio trainer was designed to survive a wheels-up landing requiring very little repair work (jack it up, drop the gear, replace the flaps where the trailing edges had ground away, fit a new prop, and in Soviet service you were not even required to strip the engine for inspection). You can even taxi it off the runway using differential braking, if you have enough momentum when you reach the taxi-way. Though as the prop blades have gone you won't be able to add any meaningful power if you stop short of that point.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2