Tamiya T34/84 1/35 (Take Two)

I submitted this kit for a RFI back in January, with Syrian Army markings from the Six Day War......but I was never really happy with it, just looked 'too much' when it came to the finish.

PXL_20240106_143233206

As it was........

So, got out the airbrush and turned it into a Red Army 1945 vehicle. 

Once again out of the box apart from a little bit of PE on the grille covers and the previously used Sin Xan metal tracks. 

Finished in Tamiya acrylics, a home made brown oil filter and some light pigment weathering, I went 'little and often' with the weathering as I'm trying out new techniques as a new armour modeller.

PXL_20240305_112416474 PXL_20240305_112446704 PXL_20240305_112502476

PXL_20240305_112502476

PXL_20240305_112453550

PXL_20240305_112341556

Photography definitely needs some work 😀

As always, comments and advice more than welcome. 

Andy 

• Like 10

Hi Andy,

Personally I like your second take better, although cleaner, perhaps because it is a T34, "it has to be Soviet"..., a bit silly thought..., but such an iconic tank...well that... lol.
It is a good base to work on, little by little, as you continue doing more, you will discover what works for you and what you like.
Personally, I would start with the first process after the base coat, trying to master it, and then go to the next one, that is, step by step, without rushing.

I don't know if I told you that I made one of these but from Eastern Express (published in the forum) and I used it as a guinea pig, I think I abused it a little, but it helped me a lot to learn techniques and test products, and I wouldn't do it again. do more.

Cheers

Francis.👍

• Like 1

Ah! The dreaded silvering of the decals. Did you give it a coat of gloss varnish before applying the decals? Apart from that, a very nice job indeed.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Ah! The dreaded silvering of the decals. Did you give it a coat of gloss varnish before applying the decals? Apart from that, a very nice job indeed.

John.

Yes, gave it a gloss coat and let that cure for 24 hours at room temperature. 

It does show up more on the photos, I did tried to hide the silvering with a little weathering but to no avail. 

Tamiya decals.......🤔

• Like 1

Ooh, nice!  Have to agree tgat the second incarnation looks better .... good work! 👌 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

I thought the Syrian version was really good! interesting to see a quintessential Soviet tank in another countries colours and markings! Liked the weathering effects as well as I'm new back into the hobby and trawling the forums for stuff like this!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nigeyboy said:

I thought the Syrian version was really good! interesting to see a quintessential Soviet tank in another countries colours and markings! Liked the weathering effects as well as I'm new back into the hobby and trawling the forums for stuff like this!!

I tried a Enamel Filter from Mig Ammo, then oil dot filters and just thought it all looked too much. 

I tend to watch 'Sprues and Brews' on YouTube as his weathering tutorials are easy to follow and achievable for someone of my experience. 

Nightshift is fantastic to watch and he makes it look 'relatively' easy but that's years and years of high quality modeling! 

• Like 1