light, mobile anti-aircraft guns on HMS Invincible R05 during Falklands War?

bootneck

I am trying to find identify what these little yellow guns are on the stern quarters of HMS Invincible on her return from the Falklands War. 

spacer.png

They appear to be old WW2 anti-aircraft stock, possible taken out of long term storage? Can anyone help to identify these weapons, how many did Invincible have deployed for the conflict and who manned them?

cheers,
Mike

• bootneck changed the title to light, mobile anti-aircraft guns on HMS Invincible R05 during Falklands War?

If that's on the way home, and looking at the colour, they're more than likely captured Argentine weapons.  Something German and 20mm, perhaps?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

well done pigsty 👏🏻

from fb 

Cañón antiaéreo Hispano-Suiza HS.831 de 30mm perteneciente al Grupo de Artillería Antiaéreo 

Edited by magman2
Need to change
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys,  I had forgotten about all the captured equipment that was brought back.  Considering how tight space was onboard Invincible, I am surprised that stuff got taken onboard; unless they planned to use it as additional defensive measures during their prolonged stay down there after the surrender.

cheers,
Mike

At least 1 of the twin 20mm Rh202 came back.  IIRC it's at the FAA Museum.  And we brought back enough of the twin 35mm Oerlikons to equip an RAF Regiment reserve Squadron (Waddington??) for several years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kingsman said:

And we brought back enough of the twin 35mm Oerlikons to equip an RAF Regiment reserve Squadron (Waddington??) for several years.

Oh yes.  I remember footage on Spotlight of one pair being test-fired against the Great Mew Stone.

17 hours ago, Kingsman said:

At least 1 of the twin 20mm Rh202 came back.  IIRC it's at the FAA Museum.  And we brought back enough of the twin 35mm Oerlikons to equip an RAF Regiment reserve Squadron (Waddington??) for several years.

Did we bring back any Bofors 40's? 😂😂

It's also worth noting that if Invincible had carried any extra guns, they couldn't have been up on the flight deck like that.  The mountings might have been mobile but, to be used on a ship at sea, they'd have needed bolting down; and placing them there would have made a good chunk of the deck unusable, even though it was all Harriers.  Then there's the problem of supplying the ammunition.  I don't know if she got any extra close-in armament - I suspect not, but she had two Phalanx fitted afterwards, so someone must have thought it a problem - but the more likely locations would be the foredeck and the island.

• Like 1

Several ships, including STUFT, benefitted from a quantity of M2 Brownings found in storage. Not many: 50 seems to ring a bell. There were improvised GPMG mountings and upper deck parties with SLRs. There is a story of an angry NAAFI manager on a frigate who bought down a passing Skyhawk with a GPMG from the hip. The Falklands laid bare the poor RN thinking on CIWS in the missile era. A pair of 20mm or a pair of 40mm was just not good enough.

Turning back the clock, several Australian warships in the Med were fitted with captured Italian 20mm Bredas as CIWS. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2024 at 9:00 AM, StuartH said:

Did we bring back any Bofors 40's? 😂😂

There would not be an issue with ammunition the we captured thousands of rounds for these and the 35mm guns.

I was involved with the receiving of the captured 35mm Skyguard system at RAF Waddington. All the captured system equipment was sent to Waddington for assessment/recommisioning,  IIRC the radars had been "sabotaged" by the Argentinians, but the sabotage involved removing a couple of circuit boards which had been put in the vehicle stowage box so not really a problem getting them going again! One radar was kaput, as the Gurkas had used it for target practice and it was riddled with holes but most of the hardware was new or nearly new.  The best laugh was the ammunition, it had all been manufactured at Faldingworth for the Argentinian forces.  For those who dont know Faldingworth  is just north east of Lincoln so it was manufactured, sent to Argentina, shipped to the Falkland Islands, then shipped to Waddington so it ended up about 5 miles away from where it was made!

We found  quite a few personal letters in the equipment, One of our guys had a girl who taught Spanish who translated for us. They were generally  worried family  keep yourself safe letters, and some unposted of the "Dear mum we dont like it here and we have been told that the nasty British are coming" type.

Selwyn

• Like 2