P-51D Mustang Unlimited Racer "Roto Finish" ***Aborted***

My second place marker is this Unlimited racer "Roto Finish" using the VERY limited run High Planes kit in 1/72.

20240303-190400.jpg

The box, no colour here.

20240303-190438.jpg

The plastic, some white metal and a vacform canopy. A quick inspection reveals some very rough plastic and I feel that I may be raiding a donor mustang for better options.

20240303-190550.avif

Instructions :rofl:.

Stuart

• Like 16

Good morning Stuart

Welcome aboard  it is very interesting to have a racer in this Gb subject ...

Have fun with your build

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd get started with this racer. As some of you are aware, High Planes kits are very rough and need a lot of work in both cleaning up and replacing parts, so that has been the main job.

20240328-131455.jpg

After cleaning up the fuselage halves, I looked at the kit exhausts and they were unrecognisable, so the first donor parts were fitted.

20240328-131410.jpg

The kit supplies you a floor, seat and an I/P, and suggests using sheet plastic for the rear cockpit wall. The cockpit floor wasn't going to do the job, so I decided to scratch one using the donor floor as a reference. Plasticard was used for the floor, the forward firewall and the rea wall. more plastic for the stick gator and linkage. Donor kit I/P was used, as was the stick. With the primer on, that bucket seat needs some attention.

20240328-131555.avif

Fuselage interior is primed. Wing parts were cleaned and because I wanted dropped flap, I removed them. The undercarriage bay was made of white metal and although the interior is nice and little cleaning was needed, the outer areas needed a good filing session that the wing halves can fit. Here, the starboard upper wing has been fitted.

Stuart 

• Like 11

On 3/29/2024 at 11:31 AM, Wings unlevel said:

some proper modelling there getting it into shape.

On 3/31/2024 at 12:54 PM, John Masters said:

You're cleaning this one up very nicely.  Looks great!

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

With Easter out of the way, we continue with 'Roto Finish'...

20240401-122040.jpg

Cockpit starboard fuselage, definitely not Tamiya, it is what it is. Also fitted a radiator that I pinched from the Tamiya kit.

20240401-121905.jpg

Port side fitted with the scratch cockpit. Interior was painted light grey using Colourcoats enamel, black details. Seat was aluminium and fitted with DIY tape belts that I decided to paint blue.

20240401-123340.jpg

With the internals painted, the fuselage halves were joined.

Stuart

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2024 at 5:23 AM, Wings unlevel said:

Nice work with the cockpit.

On 4/4/2024 at 2:05 AM, Cookenbacher said:

This a great project

Cheers guys.

I think I over did the enthusiasm with having so many builds on the go that I hit a wall. I've finished the S.55 in the 'Twins' GB, so now I can get back on to this racer.

20240416-142016.jpg

While the fuselage was sticking, I turned my attention back to the wings and having decided to drop the flaps, these were cut away from the wings. With a bit more fettling, the wings were attached to the fuselage. All the joins need seeing to, so that will be a few cycles of the filling, sanding and priming.

Stuart

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Courageous said:

All the joins need seeing to, so that will be a few cycles of the filling, sanding and priming.

Frustrating, but it will be time well spent.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 9:58 AM, Wings unlevel said:

Frustrating

The underside are.

20240420-232507.jpg

The main areas of work were forward of the wing where there was a dip that needed building up and the area aft of the radiator outlet which was missing, so plasticard and filler are needed. The radiator intake shroud was pinched from the donor kit but needed widening to fit. Also built up the propeller using the donor kit hub and the kit boss & blades.

Stuart

• Like 8

With the MiG-15 for the 'Boomers' GB now complete, I can move this racer along a bit.

20240425-102246.jpg

The undersides have been fitted-out, cleaned up and ready for a prime. Donor parts will be used for the undercarriage and doors, the originals are pants. Flaps have been cleaned up and tested on the the wings. The vacuform canopy has been carefully cut out but that's as far as its getting. I would've liked to have had an open cockpit but with only one canopy, I didn't want to run the risk. A shelves have been added in front and behind the pilot, filled and needs a little clean up, Horizontal stabilisers have been pinned, fitted and have a little PPP applied but needs a tidy up.

Stuart

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Courageous said:

With the MiG-15 for the 'Boomers' GB now complete, I can move this racer along a bit.

Great to hear you’re getting this one back up to race pace! 🤣

• Like 1

Little steps...

20240429-104040.jpg

This is fighting me all the way. Eventually I made the canopy to fit, now waiting for the Formula 560 canopy glue to set. Once set, I'll mask the canopy and then do some filler work round the windscreen area. Also fitted the flaps in deployed position.

Stuart

• Like 4

20240503-112938.jpg

Cockpit glazing masked and everything is primed. The priming has revealed a few areas that will need some attention...nothing major.

Stuart

• Like 6

On 5/3/2024 at 11:46 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Nice and smooth looking, and as they say, smooth is fast!

Cheers Wings, much appreciated.

20240509-224151.avif

And a nice coat of Tamiya AS-12 silver is added.

Stuart

• Like 6

High Speed Silver!

Looking good, I like a nice racer.

I recently got the HighPlanes Rare Bear, the parts need some clean up, but there is a good model hiding in there!

Malc.

• Like 1

@Wings unlevel @Malc2 @Cookenbacher Thanks for the encouragement guys but...

20240512-223556.jpg

Decals on but some of them started to fracture when sliding off backing paper but managed to manoeuvre them okay. The smaller serials just shattered in the water and haven't been applied. Was this a bad omen...?

Yes it was. The decals needed a sealing coat of gloss varnish and noticing too late, I started to apply the silver, I had some how fitted the wrong tops to the wrong cans :angry: :angry:! This was a right-off and has been deposited with the rubbish. These things happen, move on.

Stuart

• Sad 7

• Courageous changed the title to P-51D Mustang Unlimited Racer "Roto Finish" ***Aborted***