German K-class cruiser decks

Gidday All, I'm trying to establish if/when the German K-class cruisers (particularly Karlsruhe) had wood planked decks. I have some photos (mainly of Konigsberg) that indicate that the shelterdeck was not planked but photos of the upper deck and foc'sle deck on some of them are contradictory. Those without planked decks seem to be photos in their early lives. I know that these ships were extremely weight critical when built and I'm guessing that the planking was omitted initially for this reason. But I stress the word "guess". I want to build DKM Karlsruhe as she was early in the war when she was sunk and planked or steel deck decides which styrene sheets I use.

If nobody can shed any light on this I'll go with planked hull decks and steel shelter and superstructure decks. Many thanks in advance. Regards, Jeff.

24 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday All, I'm trying to establish if/when the German K-class cruisers (particularly Karlsruhe) had wood planked decks. I have some photos (mainly of Konigsberg) that indicate that the shelterdeck was not planked but photos of the upper deck and foc'sle deck on some of them are contradictory. Those without planked decks seem to be photos in their early lives. I know that these ships were extremely weight critical when built and I'm guessing that the planking was omitted initially for this reason. But I stress the word "guess". I want to build DKM Karlsruhe as she was early in the war when she was sunk and planked or steel deck decides which styrene sheets I use.

If nobody can shed any light on this I'll go with planked hull decks and steel shelter and superstructure decks. Many thanks in advance. Regards, Jeff.

I've the two AJ Press volumes on the K-Class cruisers and in one volume there is a set of inserted folded plans in 1/350 that shows Karlsruhe in 1939/40 with steel decks  (plan and profile views). If you message me with an email address, I'll send you a copy.

• Like 1

Marine Arsenal No 13, "Die K-Kreuzer (II)", by Siegfried Breyer, p. 9; text to a photo dated 1937/38:

"An dem aus genopptem Stahlblech beschaffenem Deck ist erkennbar, dass es sich um die Königsberg handelt, denn die beiden Schwesterschiffe hatten normale Holzdecks erhalten."

my rough translation: " the steel-deck proves this is Königsberg, as the two sisters had received wooden decks"

Edited by Richard502
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Richard502 said:

the steel-deck proves this is Königsberg, as the two sisters had received wooden decks"

Thanks. I've since found photos of Koln during her visit to Sydney in May 1933. These show planked hull decks and a steel shelter deck around B turret. Others of Konigsberg seem to support steel hull decks. Some others are miss-labeled I think - the same photo of a planked quarterdeck and aft turrets is labeled both 'Koln' class and Konigsberg. I think it's Koln. I chose Karlsruhe because it's the ship I have the best drawings of, some I found myself and some kindly sent to me by @iang above.

I'll try to dig a little further before I decide and start. Thank you both for your responses.       Regards, Jeff.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Richard502 said:

Probably old news,

G'day, never too old. I've gone with planked hull decks for this model but I haven't started any superstructure yet. And you never know what obscure detail can be found in additional photos etc.

So many thanks for the additional info, links, sites. Much appreciated.       Regards, Jeff.