Trumpeter 1/72 Panzerkampfwagen KV-II (4)

Hello everyone,

My first post to the armour forum and the first armour model I had done. I completed this Trumpeter KV-2 in the summer of 2022, so it's a couple of years out of date. Nevertheless, I figured I'll start from the beginning. These were taken before I was putting much thought into getting multiple angles in my photos, so I apologize for the lack of any rear views.

This being my first tank model, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. Having made several more now, I'm glad I started with a Trumpeter build. The fit of the pieces was all good, but the treads did snap on me at the time (I still have terrible luck with the single-piece rubber treads; any advice on fitting these would be much appreciated).

This little guy was painted in Tamiya's German Grey and given a quick dry brush of silver to simulate some wear and tear. I've since moved onto more sophisticated and time-consuming weathering techniques, but I still think the results are decent for such a quick go-over. This was made before I discovered filters, chipping, washes or really anything outside of an initial acrylic paint layer. I believe this was made shortly after I bought my first airbrush (and that was revolutionary enough!).

Any feedback or advice is welcome! I'm still fairly new to armour modelling, so while I have improved since this build, I'm still open to any suggestions.

Stan

embed?resid=B02D4D54B5DE851F!16567&authk

embed?resid=B02D4D54B5DE851F!16691&authk

embed?resid=B02D4D54B5DE851F!16692&authk

• Like 8

Hi Stan,

Welcome to the dark side of the forum.
It's not a bad thing to start with, everything you mention is an open path towards improvement if you continue with the hobby.
I don't know if you have enough space or if you are interested in that size, but you could approach the 1/35 scale. There are many kits, at a good price and with good quality to learn a lot, (Tamiya for example), and they are easier to handle because the size is very adequate.
For the one-piece rubber tracks, I used the stapler, then I tried to put where they joined in a position that would not be seen, and that was it.

Cheers

Francis.

👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

Hi Francis,

Thank you for the feedback! I think I ended up stapling this one (though at 1/72, that's hard to cover up). I've actually got a couple larger scale tanks as well and for whatever reason forgot all about stapling the treads. I may have to go back and touch them up now that you've mentioned it...

I've certainly enjoyed the more detailed larger scale too. My last build was my first attempt at adding streaking and chips and it was a learning experience. I will hopefully be posting it in the near future as well.

Stan

• Like 1

Nice work. As for the tracks...you can try using fine black thread to tie the ends together after gluing them. It sort of reinforces the glue. You can also use staples also but I prefer the string. Of course this only works on the continuous type.....

Cheers...Rich 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Armorrich said:

Didn't mean to be repetitive...Francis beat me out by a few seconds...

Hi Rich,

Certainly the thread also worked very well, it is more subtle and less obvious, but more difficult to manipulate,
In my first model (the white Panther from Italeri at 1/35), when I retouched it, to make the saggy, and so that the track would be well held between the wheels, I also used black thread, being very careful not to let it be seen or at all. At least that was the idea, and it was firmly attached with the help of CA glue.

Cheers

Francis.👍:cowboy: (faster on the other side of the keyboard)...😅

nice grey big head. i painted this KV-2 too. i remember the poor QC of rubber track.

want to improve in next afv, you could clear the mold lines (e.g. on barrel), buy some narrow wire, so you could replace the cat ladder, and try painting camo + adding mud effect.

wish you enjoy 1/72 afv.

51960065405_43b218e41a_w.jpg

Edited by Yg Models
  • Like 1