3 Squadron RAAF Mustang IV

I'm really pleased to be able to support @TEMPESTMK5 and join @RidgeRunner as a co-host for the Mustang STGB - I reckon it will be the highlight of the STGB calendar this year.

My own build for the GB to use Eduard's Mk.IV Profipack to build "out of the box" 3 Squadron RAAF Mustang IVa KH716 as based at Fano, Italy in late 1944/early 1945.

Unboxed

Here's the familiar sprues, with the beautifully detailed parts::

Unboxed

And here's the paint/decals call-out showing my scheme, which features the unit's iconic Southern Cross on a light blue background tail markings.:

Unboxed

KH716 was flown by 3 Squadron's CO at the time, Squadron Leader Murray Nash DFC and Bar. Here's an Australian War Memorial image of the real thing (note the underwing bomb):

The official caption reads: "FANO, ITALY. 1944-12-16. NO. 3 SQUADRON, RAAF. SINCE THE ALL AUSTRALIAN FIGHTER BOMBER SQUADRON IN ITALY HAS SWITCHED FROM KITTYHAWKS TO MUSTANGS, THEY HAVE BEEN CARRYING OUT LONG RANGE RAIDS OVER YUGOSLAVIA IN SUPPORT OF TITO'S PARTISAN TROOPS AS WELL AS CONTINUING TO BLAST ENEMY STRONGPOINTS ON THE NORTHERN FRONT IN ITALY. PICTURE SHOWS THE SYMMETRICAL LINES OF THE MUSTANG FIGHTER BOMBER WHICH IS PROVING VERY POPULAR WITH THE SQUADRON."

This will be the second of my occasional 3 Squadron RAAF themed builds, after a Kittyhawk I'm currently finishing up in the (already finished up) Desert GB. If all goes to plan I'll also do a F-35A and a Mirage III in 3 Squadron markings in those STGBs later in the year.

So I'm looking forward to building this one and doubling my 3 Squadron collection! But I'll have to be patient and likely won't make a start until a little later in the GB as I have two other GB builds on the go.

But I wasn't going to miss this one!

Cheers,

Gerard

• Like 16

Good afternoon Gerard   

Very nice  choice I don't know the Eduard Kit but I guess that you enjoy your build ..

See you soon for the start of this Gb 

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 2

Hi Gerard, good choice there 🙂

Shall be watching your build with interest as I will be building the eduard Mustang as a Mk.IV as well.  though from 19 Squadron RAF. Just putting the finishing touches to my Beaufighter which should be done within the week.  🤞 

Many regards Matt

• Like 2

Great choice! Nothing’s cooler than a 3 Sqn. Mustang with that blue rudder. I’m still deciding what I’ll be building for this GB, but it will definitely be another 3 Sqn. aircraft…

• Like 2

On 29/02/2024 at 23:08, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Gerard! I'll be watching avidly! :)

On 29/02/2024 at 23:10, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Very nice  choice I don't know the Eduard Kit but I guess that you enjoy your build ..

See you soon for the start of this Gb

Thanks Martin and Patrice, I’m looking forward to co-hosting with you, this will be a fascinating and fun GB I’m sure.

On 01/03/2024 at 01:46, franky boy said:

Nice to see a Mustang with roundels on. She’ll look great in those markings. 

Thanks James, I reckon the type C decals look terrific on a Mustang. 

On 01/03/2024 at 05:06, Mattp7999 said:

Shall be watching your build with interest as I will be building the eduard Mustang as a Mk.IV as well. 

Ice to be twinning with you again, Matt. 🤣

21 hours ago, Karearea said:

it will definitely be another 3 Sqn. aircraft

Nice! A Mark III in 3 Squadron markings is certainly on my long term build list.

• Like 4

This kit look Yummy.

I have never built an Eduard kit, and the more I see photos of them, the more I want one!

That paint scheme is the one I have already chosen for my next P-51D kit.

I love the Southern Cross on the rudder.

Have fun.

JR

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, jean said:

This kit look Yummy.

I have never built an Eduard kit, and the more I see photos of them, the more I want one!

That paint scheme is the one I have already chosen for my next P-51D kit.

I love the Southern Cross on the rudder.

Have fun.

JR

Cheers JR, it does look a beautiful kit, I’ll do my best to do it justice! Thankfully there are a few other Eduard P-51s being built in this GB so I’ll be able to benefit from seeing them come together first.

Edited by Wings unlevel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rafwaffe said:

Nice. I’ll be watching this build!

Thanks! I’m in the fun part of the build - research and reading. Found these notes and another pic of KH716:

https://3sqnraafasn.net/subpages/Mustangs/3 Sqn P-51K P1.htm

it’s all down hill once I start cutting plastic and introducing errors! 🤣

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Thanks! I’m in the fun part of the build - research and reading. Found these notes and another pic of KH716:

https://3sqnraafasn.net/subpages/Mustangs/3 Sqn P-51K P1.htm

it’s all down hill once I start cutting plastic and introducing errors! 🤣

Research reading and building. The best parts of the hobby! I’m sure yours will turn out great😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

An excellent choice Gerard, it will be great to see a Mustang with the Southern Cross on the tail.

Cheers Craig, it’s certainly an iconic design, which 3 Sqn reprised a few times down the track on later aircraft like the Mirage and Hornet. Am keen to get started!

• Like 2