Yellow Rings On Spinners - Help!

PatG

My current project is a Bf110-C in 72nd scale and the markings I've chosen are for U8+HL of 3/ZG26 which was shot down at Cobham Farm on the 11th September 1940 during the BoB.

I have all the available photos of the crash site and now have all the correct decals etc. but the one thing that is causing me a problem is the fine yellow ring around the spinner which is quite small in width and less than 1mm in this scale!

None of my masking tapes come remotely close to this so any ideas how I could possibly replicate in this scale please with any degree of accuracy?

Pat.

Ps. the aircraft was from 3/ZG26 but used as a spare by 2/ZG26 on the day as the crews intended machine failed to start so they quickly borrowed one from 3/ZG26. As such its loss is recorded as being from 2/ZG26 even though the markings/code clearly confirm it to be a 3/ZG26 aircraft.

Edited by PatG
extra detail

I'm not quite clear, but you're saying a ring, rather than a spiral.

One technique I've read of for masking is cutting the finger off a latex glove, chopping the end slightly, and stretching over the spinner for painting, then adjusting slightly for more paint, leaving a thin portion unpainted.

Sounds like intricate work in 1/72, so whatever your resolution I wish you good luck 👍

• Thanks 1

Definitely a small ring in yellow so once the spinner is painted yellow how on earth do I then just mask such a small circle?

I've seen others do it in RFI but the technique is never fully explained so perhaps a trade secret?

Pat.

I'd get a circle stencil, like you use for technical drawing and find the right diameter hole for your needs, back the stencil with blue tack and pop the spinner in and spray. The stencil acts as a mask. 

Hope that makes sense? ;)

• Like 1

Not entirely sure what a circle stencil is as I failed Tech Drawing at O-Level but thanks for the advice.

Getting such a precise circle with no bleeding around the edges seems to be beyond my skills as blu-tac never leaves a crisp edge when I've used it previously so I'm thinking that perhaps finely cutting/slicing the Tamiya flexible masking tape may be the best I can go for as I have it in 2mmm and 3mm widths?

Pat.

I needed a very thin circle on an Me-163 nose, so similar to a spinner. I have something called a compass cutter, just a cheap thing I bought from 'the Works' shop in town a few years ago. 

Take a piece of masking tape and try to mask round the spinner. You can't actually do a proper job of it, but just do a rough job. Scribe a pencil line round the tape at about the level where you want the band to be on the spinner. Now take the tape off, and lay it flat on a cutting mat. This gives you a rough but reasonable idea of  the radius of your 1mm band. 

Now, I didn't try to mask anything, but rather I cut a circle with my compass cutter on a piece of red transfer (or decal) sheet (I save all my old transfers) then increased the radius by a mm or so and cut a second circle. It wasn't quite right when I I tried it so I tried again until I got it right. If you get it reasonably right it will just wrap round beautifully. The BIGGEST issue will be whether the compass cutter will cut a small enough circle for the small scale we use. If you get it right it's a really handy trick. Best of luck!

2 hours ago, PatG said:

Not entirely sure what a circle stencil is as I failed Tech Drawing at O-Level but thanks for the advice.

Getting such a precise circle with no bleeding around the edges seems to be beyond my skills as blu-tac never leaves a crisp edge when I've used it previously so I'm thinking that perhaps finely cutting/slicing the Tamiya flexible masking tape may be the best I can go for as I have it in 2mmm and 3mm widths?

Pat.

Here you go 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Helix-Circle-Stencil-Template-Translucent/dp/B00290KWWA/ref=asc_df_B00290KWWA/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218085297059&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16795052698949982987&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007464&hvtargid=pla-420084278776&psc=1&mcid=f5a58588b1bf3001af4a4862724e6671&th=1&psc=1

• Thanks 1

One tip I've learned is that when using masking tape apply a coat of clear along the edge of the tape. This seals the tape, and if some clear bleeds under the tape, who cares? It's CLEAR!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, flyboy2610 said:

coat of clear

That's a great tip. I personally use the masked color than just clear, but the idea is the same.

• Like 1