Pot-bellied Zerstorer

I hadn't expected to be doing a third build in this GB but I've hit the doldrums (see @mark.au for definition) with my Mosquito MkXVIII and need something to stop me :violin:  fiddling whilst waiting for paint or glue to dry and spoiling it.

So from the stash is this

spacer.png

Bought some time between 1976 and 1979.  I must have had a penchant for getting the odder versions of well known subjects if you count this and the other 2 builds of mine in this GB. 

For more of the historic background and a build to which I will refer is this from @PeterB done

last year.  

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235124107-messerschmitt-bf-110-d1r1finished/#comment-4719890

Because I'm using this as a distraction to stop me messing up the Tsetse, I will be doing this straight from the box.  The only planned divergence from that aim will be to add some seat belts, try and fix (ie shorten) the main undercarriage and maybe do a 70/71 splinter pattern finish instead of plain green as per instructions.   Peter also pointed out that the FA decals are likely to be incorrect but I'm probably going to ignore that having no replacements in the stash.

I won't do a full sprue shot but just show that the bits are still sealed in plastic as when bought 40odd years ago (and which seems ............. no, no, that's "old man" talk!  :bleh:  Get on with it!)

spacer.png

Right.  Let's see how quickly we can get this to the same stage as the Tsetse.

See you later and thanks for looking.

Rob

• Like 14

Whilst tinkering on the Mosquito I've started this.   

spacer.png

Cockpit almost assembled then I tried my new primer from  Halfords.  (I'd previously thought it a bit "hot" after causing wrinkling of paint on a mule so didn't use it on the Mosquito).

Seems to have gone on ok, but heck!  It was like using a Power Hose of Blackness!  :analintruder:    As well as them, it seemed to cover a significant area surrounding the intended objects before I managed to take my finger off the button and regain control!   :rofl2:  The wastage could be enormous over time so might not be as economical as at first thought, but I saw the funny side of it.  Everything went very dark.   :ninja:     I think the safety notes should be amended to include "Should not be made available to teenagers going through a dark gothic phase" .   However, giggling aside,  it's gone on nicely to the clean pastic so should form a good basis for subsequent paint. 

Meanwhile, I couldn't help it.  I did a bit extra.  The cowling pieces clearly had significant indentations where air should enter but moulded without openings.  I'm really trying not to do "extra" things but it looked odd so had to be opened I'm afraid  :whistle:

Not a stunning photo, but shows the operation almost complete

spacer.png

Lower surfaces upward in the photo.  The left one is complete the right has the holes drilled prior to joining them - I feel sure there's a name for this technique but for now it eludes me. :hmmm:     There's another slot further back on the pieces that's already opened, but not visible here.

I'll get some RLM 02 splashed around tomorrow on the inner surfaces and finish the cockpit. 

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 8

That's a good improvement to the intakes by opening them up, is the term you're looking for chain drilling?

1 hour ago, Zephyr91 said:

I think the safety notes should be amended to include "Should not be made available to teenagers going through a dark gothic phase"

Well, I'm 43 and the phase is showing no signs of abating... ;)

James

• Haha 4

Good evening.  Some progress

spacer.png

Paint splashed around the cockpit, IP decal applied, seat belts added from cut down masking tape with blobs of silver to represent  buckles or fastenings.  So more or less ready for joining the fuselage halves.  The cowlings mentioned previously are now done and I'm filling and sanding the prop spinners into some sort of shape. 

Using the IP decal from the kit allowed me a bit of a look at how the remainder of the sheet might work.  Seemed a bit thick (I can identify with that :hmmm:) but went on ok without splitting, and having used Decalfix it seemed to me easily movable until I got it into the position I wanted - so hopefully the others will behave just as well.   Leaving them on the windowsill and already seem to be a little less yellow.

The main undercarriage legs have been shortened by about 2mm each.  I took the bits out of  the lower part of the legs that look like a spring but I guess are supposed to be the rubber boot covering the moving bit of the gear.  Rather than trust to a butt joint I drilled holes in the separated parts and inserted a fuse wire (15 amp) core to bridge between them, and closed with CA.  Still delicate but they should look a little less stalky when complete.

I've also tried a dry fit of the wings and fuselage.  Promising.  Hopefully almost no filler needed wing - fuse and potentially only a little along the fuse.  Will find out for sure tomorrow.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 10

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  Much appreciated.

Because I haven't got bogged down in fiddly bits, things are progressing.   Fuselage joined, wings on, tailplane on, fins on.  And some primer .........

spacer.png

"Where's the black primer?" did I hear someone say?  It's been ditched.  Awful stuff.  I know some people swear by Halfords primer but all it did for me was make me swear :swear:   I sanded off as much as I could on the big bits before applying MrFinishing Surfacer 1500 Gray.  Much nicer and doesn't come off onto your hands, or melt when you put acrylic paint on it (messed up the painting of the cockpit area which I didn't mention yesterday but took a while to sort),  or refuse to be budged by various increasingly aggresive solvents ........ :angry:  Makes me angry just to think about it, so I won't.  Should have used the MR Surfacing whatsit from the start as I've previously done.

Anyway, back to the model.  It's going to need a few bits of filler but I have to say I enjoyed putting it together and it will need far less fettling than have my other older kits that I've built so far.  Very satisfying. 

I think one of the bigger tasks ahead is the greenhouse-like cockpit glazing.  There's a lot of framing there .....

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 7

That's looking like a nice smooth coat of primer, Rob. I swear by the Mr Surfacer 1500 too (though in black), it's really good stuff. I don't envy you with the canopy masking, I bought a pre-cut set for mine

James

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Zephyr91 said:

Should have used the MR Surfacing whatsit from the start

It’s the goods! Your 110 has come together very nicely, but I don’t envy you all that masking!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just for a bit of amusement whilst stuff dries.

I was tidying up late last night when I became aware that the Fujimi supplied crew figures looked a bit less than average height.

Although I rarely use them, I have a small collection of un-used aircrew "just in case" to which the Fujimi guys were being added.

Meet the mottley lot here 

spacer.png

They kept fidgetting :giggle:  while I was taking the photo so are not posed the same way for true comparison, but I was surprised at the variation in height.   The Fujimi guys are on the left of the bottom row in black (now discarded) primer!  Out of curiosity I measured them.  At full scale they are just 48 inches!!!  :rofl2:  AND I was rounding up the decimals so they might not even be that.  

Mind you, the rest haven't much to shout about.  The tallest is only 65 inches.  The remainder are somewhere in between these 2 extremes.  Even the guy without the lower half of his legs is almost as tall as the Fujimi twins.

Some other characters to point out - bottom row 4th from the left is one of the larger examples but looks as though he has a face like some anthropomorphised furry animal; an otter perhaps.  On closer inspection it appears that they must have tried to replicate a large handlebar moustache.  :rofl:   The guy to his right in the photo looks as though he's been over-feeding his horse. 

The chap at the extreme right of the bottom row, looks like he's auditioning for Aquaman with all the flash around his feet.   :fish:He has had some alterations.  I used him to experiment upon (watch out Dr Frankenstein :evil_laugh:)  to see if I could make a standing figure from a seated one.   Which was useful 'cos I used that technique to make a figure to go with my Defiant build last year.

Anyway, back to the modelling later.

cheers

Rob

Edited by Zephyr91
speelings
  • Like 4

Bonus points for the choice of storage receptacal, Rob :clap2: I recognise a few of those from my stash of unused pilots as well, and I think mr "overfed horse" is an Airfix chap as I have a couple of him too. Though to me his pose looks more like one he has to adopt as a result of his massive pair he's grown from all those daring missions over occupied territory...

James

• Haha 2

Days fly past.  Not much modelling (well, not as much as I'd like :whistle:) over the weekend due to family stuff.  Can't complain really. We had a very nice day Saturday on my middle daughter's birthday which sort of continued on Sunday as well.  She had to go to work today so that allowed me to get back to the bench! :wicked:

Anyway, some paint has been applied

spacer.png

The indersides are blue and masked.  The colour in the photo looks odd.  For comparison ....

spacer.png

..... more or less the same shot but with flash.  First one is too blue and this one is too yellow.  The real colour is somewhere in between and is Revell Aqua 39 Dunkelgrun (sorry, no umlauts for the purists).  Rather glutinous from the pot but sprays on nicely if diluted sufficiently.    

The decision to be made now is whether to go with this as per the kit instructions, or apply a schwarzgrun splinter pattern.  I'm tending towards the latter, but I'm finding it hard to find a diagram of a "standard" early camouflage pattern for the Bf 110!!   Despite searching this and other forums, it seems that everyone is obsessed (too strong) fascinated with more obscure schemes that the "standard" has been rendered almost obscure (eh?  :hmmm:).  I accept that it could just be may lack of web searching ability.   I've got some old airfix paint instructions that I could use but i wondered if anyone has a ready link to something?  My references are not that extensive for the 110 so any assistance would be very welcome.

Meanwhile I'm slowly doing the canopy framing and wondering whether the kit supplied props and spinners are good enough, although I keep having to remind myself that this is supposed to be as much OOB as possible .........

thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 10

That's quite a co-incidence, it was my middle daughter's birthday on Saturday as well. No work for her as she's only 13 though. Your 110's looking nice and smooth, even if the camera refuses to acurately pick up the colour. As for the splinter, take a look at the instructions from the Edward kit here. There's a dackelbauch with the same M8 unit code as yours in it, so it's reasonable to think your aircraft would be painted in a similar scheme. Otherwise, the rest of the options give you the plan for the typical splinter on an early 110 :)

James

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's quite a co-incidence, it was my middle daughter's birthday on Saturday as well. No work for her as she's only 13 though. Your 110's looking nice and smooth, even if the camera refuses to acurately pick up the colour. As for the splinter, take a look at the instructions from the Edward kit here. There's a dackelbauch with the same M8 unit code as yours in it, so it's reasonable to think your aircraft would be painted in a similar scheme. Otherwise, the rest of the options give you the plan for the typical splinter on an early 110 :)

James

Ha! Shows the difference in our years (but not modelling experience) as my daughter is 31 rather than 13!   She's a teacher temporarily back at home after a contract was not renewed in Skegness a couple of years ago.  So "temporary"?  I think we make it too comfortable for her ............. :hmmm:

Yes the Revell Aqua seems to go on nicely when diluted enough.  I used it on the blitzbuild of a Bf 109 last year and it worked well, so I've continued with it for my small number of early war Luftwaffe  examples..

Thanks for the link.  Just what I needed.  However I was nearly traumatised by seeing the red "O" on a white background given my Tsetse troubles :rofl2:

cheers

Rob

On the bright side, you have decals for one without the white background ;) And yes, probably a slight difference in our ages, my username is a reference to my birth year

James

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 81-er said:

James

looking good!  I second everything James said 👍

• Like 1

Hi.  A small update.  Splinters done and masking off.

spacer.png

Thanks James @81-er for the pattern idea.   I'm now just checking for masking leaks.  The only pull-off of paint was a tiny bit on the underside.  So I was pleased with that.  Shows to me that the paint went on well.  I'm still fascinated by the quality of paint finish even I can get with this airbrush - it really was a good investment for me.  Still learning about different techniques, but loving it so far.

spacer.png

Whilst it obviously stands out, if anything the belly tank on the model doesn't look quite as portly as some photos and drawings would suggest.  The one here looks a bit sleeker.  :hmmm:    Well, I'm not about to do anything about that!   

The other thing I'm ignoring so far, although it is beginning to nag, is the gaping empty chasm that is the cockpit.  I know it's supposed to be OOB, and that the greenhouse will hide a lot.  But it is SO minimalist in there ........  :mental:

One thing I did notice in the photo is the fairly prominent hole for the landing light (?) in the wing leading edge.   I've looked, re-looked and looked again but I can't see any mention of it in the instructions and there is no clear bit of plastic that even vaguely looks like it's meant to fit.  Curious.  But no problem.  Sure I can sort something ........... famous last words :wink:

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Chuck1945 said:

Looking good, if I ever read anything regarding its in-flight handling, I’ve forgotten, but it must have been a dog.

Thanks.  And yes re the handling, I think so.   But probably no worse than  with those huge underwing tanks that were a slightly later development I believe.  Someone said it looked like it had caught 2 barrage ballons, and I'm inclined to agree.  :giggle:

cheers

The paint is looking good, Rob :) As for the belly tank, Wikipedia has this to say on it:

First conceived in the latter half of 1939, the D-series of Bf 110s was targeted to have improvements meant to increase its range. The initial D-series version, the Bf 110D-0 was designed to add a large, streamlined, 1,050-litre (277 U.S. gallon) ventral fuel tank built under the fuselage, which required a substantially sized, conformal streamlined ventral fuselage fairing extending from halfway back under the nose to the rear of the cockpit glazing, inspiring the nickname Dackelbauch (dachshund's belly). The D-1 was also set up to accept a pair of fin-equipped 900-litre (238 U.S. gallon) drop tanks, one under each wing, increasing the total fuel capacity to 4,120 litres (1,088 U.S. gallons). The substantial added drag of the early "dachshund's belly" ventral fuselage tank in test flights mandated its omission from production D-1s, although they were still prepared to mount an improved, better-streamlined, version. D-1s so equipped were known as D-1/R1, whereas the D-1/R2 was equipped with two 900-litre drop tanks and a droppable 85-litre oil tank. Later D-2 and D-3 versions retained the twin underwing 900-litre drop tank capability, using multipurpose ordnance racks capable of holding either drop tanks or carrying bombs.

So it sounds rather like it's aerodynamic effects were significantly worse than the two underwing tanks more commonly seen, which makes sense

James

• Thanks 1

Apologies for lack of updates,  but wrestling with un-cooperative decals doesn't make for good pictures or write-ups - the words would mostly be blanked out :rant:    :giggle:

I've been having "fun" :hmmm: with this and the Mosquito Mk XVIII trying to re-create a red "O" on a coloured or white background.  For this aircraft, because the box decals were a bit questionable as to whether the depicted aircraft existed or not, I adopted James' @81-er suggestion to do the scheme from an Eduard set of instructions.   This looked a bit more plausible being from more recent research than the old Fujimi set.

I've been really struggling with the Mosquito; with this one less so, but it has had its moments!   AND the old decals whilst working for the main crosses just disintegrated on one side of the fuselage "M8" codes.  So I've had to recreate those as well.  

BUT we do at least have decals on and started the weathering and bits .......

spacer.png

Apparently I've been greebling, or so my daughter tells me.  [Surprised I haven't heard it before but it seems to be associated with Star Wars film sets in the dim and distant (vwuum vwuum, says he sweeping his light saber around for effect  :rofl:)].    That gaping void of a cockpit got to me, so I invented some detail to fill it a bit.  Apologies to the purists; look away now.   Spare un-used PE bits, sprue and some masking tape. It is actually a bit visible under the greenhouse canopy which is dry-fitted here to see how it's coming on .....

spacer.png

Sitting on its landing gear as well!  I've a bit more to do to make the exhausts and residue a bit better, do a litttle light "washing" to tone down the decals and then fit all the tiny detail bits supplied in the kit.  Oh, and the props!!!     For its age, I was surprised how many tiny bits were moulded and represented for external fitting, although the rearwards pointing gun is a bit crude.. 

spacer.png

Using folded over masking tape to help try and retain all these little pieces in this space/time dimension rather than just letting them zap off somewhere.   Not infallible, but it helps.  From the photo I can see I still have some seam marks to sort out - nerve wracking stuff that on such small parts :worry:    Top right are some silver foil blanks made for landing light reflectors.  I only need 1 but I've alredy messed one up with an early attempt! :wink:

Overall this has now over-taken the Mosquito.  Not too far to go I hope.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 9

That's looking very nice now, Rob, and I'm glad my idea was useful :) Greeblies is indeed the word to describe all the little bits that busy something up, as you rightly say, it came from the sets on Star Wars (the first one).

James

• Thanks 1