Revell Heinkel He 177A-5

Like the Do-215, this one is another stake in the ground for a build to follow-on from some of my first batch that are close to paint now. Unlike the Do-215, this one was picked up at Telford 2022 and has been calling to me ever since!

ra5o9JD.jpg

There’s a lot of plastic in the box:

Ajd1EYU.jpg

I’ve also spotted an error in the instructions, the gun should be inserted the other way up in step 15, as the turret should have a smooth top:

V1IMTXl.jpg

I’m intending to do this one as the example the French liberated from Southern France and delivered to the RAE at Farnborough, depicted in the RAF markings:

gOVPenw.jpg

(picture used for discussion purposes only, and will be removed on request)

I think this will be the first aircraft I’ve built in captured markings, which is a nice change. It also has the advantage that I won’t have to deal with the awkward masking of the guns, as they won’t be fitted!

James

• Like 14

Luckily, I spotted that turret mistake in time too! Glad to have a proper Greif build in the GB :thumbsup: V-P

Oh, and a small lecture here also: In writing the German aircraft names in the proper, RLM approved way: Capital letter + small letter space type number  variant letter dash variant number slash possible modification set a.k.a

He 177A-5 or Me 410A-1/U2 not ME410 A-1 U-2 or Do-215 etc. The jury is still out on the Focke-Wulfs, though, FW or Fw :giggle:

• Like 1

Nice choice.  I always liked the look of this aircraft but not having the space to keep them and neeeding to fund an airbrush and compressor purchase, I sold 2 Airfix He 177 last year.    So will watch with interest how this develops.

cheers

Rob

PS:

14 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Oh, and a small lecture here also: In writing the German aircraft names in the proper, RLM approved way:

You do realise V_P :winkgrin: that people will now be taking 3 times as long doing posts because they will be double (?)  checking all their annotation ....... :rofl2:

• Haha 2

Great choice James! I have this unbuilt kit in one of my 38 boxes as well and look forward to seeing how you do on this. The weird tandem engines and the Fritz X bombs adds additional interest to me.  A lot of folks replace the thick kit-supplied front canopy glass with thinner AM vacuum-form pieces - do you plan to stick with the kit glass?

• 81-er changed the title to Revell Heinkel He 177A-5
4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

This is another great choice James, I really like the He-177 and having one in captured markings (especially with the D-Day stripes) will make for another very interesting looking model.

I will be following this with great interest mate.

I've seen a build in the French markings, but not one in the RAF ones yet (well, in 1/72, MPM offer both as schemes on their 1/48 kit)

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Luckily, I spotted that turret mistake in time too! Glad to have a proper Greif build in the GB :thumbsup: V-P

Oh, and a small lecture here also: In writing the German aircraft names in the proper, RLM approved way: Capital letter + small letter space type number  variant letter dash variant number slash possible modification set a.k.a

He 177A-5 or Me 410A-1/U2 not ME410 A-1 U-2 or Do-215 etc. The jury is still out on the Focke-Wulfs, though, FW or Fw :giggle:

I've updated that now, thanks VP

4 hours ago, Zephyr91 said:

Nice choice.  I always liked the look of this aircraft but not having the space to keep them and neeeding to fund an airbrush and compressor purchase, I sold 2 Airfix He 177 last year.    So will watch with interest how this develops.

cheers

Rob

PS:

You do realise V_P :winkgrin: that people will now be taking 3 times as long doing posts because they will be double (?)  checking all their annotation ....... :rofl2:

I think you made the right choice with selling those Airfix kits, it's a much older tooling than this one. I also think @vppelt68 has volunteered himself to spell check all the thread titles with his moderation privileges for this GB ;) 

48 minutes ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Great choice James! I have this unbuilt kit in one of my 38 boxes as well and look forward to seeing how you do on this. The weird tandem engines and the Fritz X bombs adds additional interest to me.  A lot of folks replace the thick kit-supplied front canopy glass with thinner AM vacuum-form pieces - do you plan to stick with the kit glass?

It has to be said that the kit glass isn't great for that big transparancy at the front, it's got some quite noticable tooling marks on the rear face. I'm going to give it a go with polishing those out with Micromesh first so I can hopefully avoid having to get a vac screen

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I do, and for the serial, and possibly the P as well. I've got some very nice thin laser printer decal paper, so I'll be making my own decals for those areas. I just need to work out if the yellow prints out sufficiently well enough, but I've found a set of generic "P" decals thanks to @modelling minion if it doesn't

James

• Like 4

Time for an update on this one, as the cockpit is almost complete. Revell provide some really nice detail for the tub sidewalls, which is completely obscured by the seats later. Before seats:

Wu3yPDi.jpeg

czUQVlh.jpeg

And after:

NBqCF3P.jpeg

5Wtsckb.jpeg

ePKVWDk.jpeg

As you can see, I’ve gone with (badly) painting the moulded seatbelts rather than replacing them with PE as I doubt they’ll be that clearly visible through the canopy. The gravity-defying belts for the seat behind the pilot amuse me as they start on the outer panel, the run along the underside of the recess before returning down the back wall.

The fuselage sidewalls are relatively devoid of detail besides a couple of raised panels but are good enough for what will be visible. The starboard one does have a panel of gauges on it:

zwo3ira.jpeg

I’ve also given the insides of the main front glazing and the top piece a good go with Micromesh before dipping them in some Quick Shine. They’re better than they were, but still not amazing.

I’ve got a couple of the pieces for the tail end to paint, but otherwise I think this is pretty much ready to close the fuselage up.

James

• Like 14

Thanks Gerard :) It's certainly up there, but the Catalina has a larger wingspan (but isn't as long as this). The Avro Manchester is also pretty close in terms of size as well.

James

• Like 1

I wish I hadn't seen this thread. I don’t do Axis aircraft but I've always liked the He 177, having built the Airfix one when I was a kid, and had forgotten there there was one in RAF markings.

Nice start James

Although I’ve never built this kit I’ve read that it’s a good one. 

James

• Like 1

Thanks guys :) It's certainly nice so far, with the exception of the transparencies not being amazing. I'm not sure how much of that is down to the tooling, or how much of it is down to it being over 20 years old...

James

• Like 1

A massively exciting update, I’ve painted the inner parts of the wings around the gear bays and the vents with RLM 02, and assembled the wings:

5r8l2zf.jpeg

I bet you’re really glad you tuned in for that :cwl:

James

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, 81-er said:

I bet you’re really glad you tuned in for that :cwl:

Every little bit helps James! Some days I can put in 6-8 productive hours in the man cave, other days it’s 5-10 minutes and all I do is look at it, shake my head and walk away. And then there’s those day I spend hours on my hand & knees with flashlight in hand looking for that part that went “ping” into the ethersphere…

• Like 4

I know that last part well, that's been me today trying to find the wingtip off my Mosquito

James

A bit late to this one but I'm very much looking forward to following along.  This one is on my bucket list.  So far so good, the cockpit looks very nice indeed 👍

• Like 1

Thanks Mark :) It was following your series of captured builds that gave me the itch to do this one in the first place. I'm hoping Airfix come out with a recon version of their Me 410 so I can do this one (which is likely as the glazing is in the kit already), or the aftermarket brings out a conversion kit.

James

• Like 2

Good start James I had a go at the Airfix kit many moons ago probably way beyond my skills at the time this looks like a much more refined kit and as has been

said scale wise one of the biggest we'll see.

• Like 1

Thanks, Steve. This is a much newer tooling than the Airfix one, as it's from 2000. The Airfix one was 1967

James

1967, Airfix and Woolworths were my intro to the weird but enchanting beast that is the 177. That they wanted it to dive bomb as well beggars belief. 

I do like what you are doing with the Revell version James 

• Like 1