ICM Dornier Do 215B-5

With a couple of my other builds for this GB heading towards paint, I’m sticking a stake in the ground for another build. I picked this one up on a birthday trip to the Big H a fortnight ago:

dDIe0rw.jpg

So obviously it’s still sealed up:

viooFG0.jpg

I’m not going to go for the boxart on this one, as I think the RLM 74/75 scheme is much nicer:

MVFkKZ7.jpg

VhS2nKN.jpg

Hopefully I'll have more success with this than I did with the 1/48 Do 217 kit.

James

• Like 13

Excellent choice James I have the ICM Ju88 nightfighter in the stash so can appreciate the quality of the 215 I,ve just given it to Luke so dont be suprised if it makes an appearance.

• Like 1

It's certainly well detailed, if very fiddly to put together so far. I'm hoping for a better result with this than the 1/48 Do 217 I started for the Do 17 GB, which remains unfinished as it has got a nasty twist in the fuselage, though I suspect that's my fault for getting ahead of myself and gluing the sides of the bomb bay in ahead of when the instructions said. One day I'll work out how to fix it and get it finished, which I suspect will require careful use of the razor saw to cut through those glue joints. I'm following the instructions with this one!

I wouldn't be surprised if Luke builds the Ju 88 in this GB, it's been at least 2 days since he started another build... ;) 

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This one’s been chugging along in parallel with the Airfix one, and like that, this one’s cockpit is OOB other than some Eduard belts:

UDow9qW.jpeg

el9X3K3.jpeg

I’ve not worried about the ejector marks as they’re extremely unlikely to be seen with this one having a solid nose. The Airfix kit is better detailed as it includes the ribbing on the fuselage sides, but the ICM detail is more refined. However it is MUCH more fiddly to put together than the Airfix kit. The rear gunner’s seat is still in bits, having fallen apart on me 5 times so far…

However, I’ve pushed on and closed up the fuselage:

zQA240f.jpeg

Like the Airfix kit, I’ve got the engine and nacelle parts painted up and ready to assemble now, and I’ve got a few more steps to go before that gunner’s seat has to go in…

James

• Like 8

I've assembled four of the ICM rear facing seats. It's a bit tricky! I have learned to reverse the assembly sequence (in the 215 B-5 kit) of 15 and 16. First join the back rest/diagonal braces A53 to seat pad A60. Use regular TET. Then add either one of the side struts A62/63 using quick TET, also in the join between A53 and A62/63. Part 62/63 defines how far forward you should tilt part 53, and part 53 defines how much outward you should tilt 62/63. The difference in the two TET setting time gives you the time needed to adjust the fit. I hope I didn't sound confusing, and that this would be of help too 🙂. V-P

• Like 1

Thanks VP, that's actually what I'd been thinking of doing for the next attempt, so it's good to know it can work

James

• Like 1

Trying to keep this running in parallel with the Airfix one, I got the wings on this one today, remembering @vppelt68’s tip of gluing some sprue into the fuselage to keep the lower wings properly spaced out rather than relying on ICM’s little post. Then I moved onto the engines. Oh boy! Having now build them, I can absolutely understand why VP left the engines out of his nacelles and chose to just glue the props straight to the nacelle fronts. This is the work required to build one nacelle:

K58PVjc.jpeg

bK7UchS.jpeg

To add to the fun, there’s very little in the way of locating features, so you end up with a lot of bits to be juggling into the correct locations and could probably do with 5 hands. At least on the 1/48 kit they give you an option to have the engine exposed, but there isn’t one on this kit (well, you could cut the panels off yourself, but I think you get what I mean here). All of that work, and none of it is visible aside from one of the diverter plates and a hair of the radiator. I appreciate it’s good to have the detail there if you want to show it off, but I would have really appreciated a simpler way of building up the nacelles for those of us who aren’t. Especially as sprue C (with the nacelles on it) is duplicated, and 90% of the parts for building both nacelles are on one of them! So I’ve got almost two complete nacelles spare

Rant over, this is where she currently sits:

RzUXpjB.jpeg

8kWX4bh.jpeg

There are a few gaps to sort here, as well as a few gluey fingerprints from my desperate attempts to keep everything in place while assembling the nacelles. But hey, I managed to get the rear gunner’s seat assembled. On the 14th try…

James

• Like 8

You're doing a nice job with this! I know what you mean about all the detail that will never be seen! When I get around to building my B25 "night fighter", there will be a lot of parts left on the sprues!

• Like 1

Thanks :) I'm not so worried about the detail that won't be seen, but I'd have really appreciated an option for a less fiddly closed nacelle

James

Living and learning here, a big one being that if I do another, I'm going the VP route and leaving the eninges out. Or opening a cover. I'm also tempted to knock up the gunner's seat frame and 3d print it if I do one again, only using the kit seat base as I don't want to try replicating the woven effect

James

• Like 1

I built the B-5 with the DB:s. In the end, the "propshaft" stuck out nowhere near the center of the cowling nose so I cut them off and glued the spinner direct  to the cowling.

That's a good point, I haven't checked if the shafts are sitting centrally yet

James

• 4 weeks later...

This one’s still going too. Much filling and sanding has been going on, and now I think the only bit on the topside to sort is the joint between the rear of the cockpit and the wing:

DsSizNg.jpeg

There’s a step on the underside where the gun pod was fitted, so I’ll have to sort that as well. I also need to re-attach the pilot’s seat/control area, as that randomly fell out.

James

• Like 5

Thanks mate. The downside of having so many builds on the go that are needing filler & sanding is it don't half make your arm ache :cwl:

James

• Haha 1