WIP Hasegawa 1/48 Spitfire Mk IXc to Mk XII

Fingers are crossed someone here can help. I am working on a Hasegawa Mk IXc and have the 1/48 Aries/Eduard aftermarket Merlin, engine mount, Mk XII cowling, cockpit and canons however does anyone know if there are any 1/48 resin Griffons with mounts out there? Else looks like I may have to proceed as a IXc. ūüėē

Thanks in advance!

Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/194245204@N04/albums/72177720315076164/with/53551758831/

Cockpit 3

Gun Bay

Cockpit 3

Scratch Built Older Version Oil Cooler

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SgtMac7 said:

Hasegawa Mk IXc and have the 1/48 Aries/Eduard aftermarket Merlin, engine mount, Mk XII cowling, cockpit and canons however does anyone know if there are any 1/48 resin Griffons with mounts out there? Else looks like I may have to proceed as a IXc

Erm, several points here.

I do not know of a exposed Griffon for the single stage Griffon models.

The single stage Griffon are only in Spitfire XII, Seafire XV and XVII. All the others are two stage supercharger and are longer at the rear of engine.

Have you searched Scalemates?

Also you would need a new prop and spinner.

You want a Mk.XII, start with  Mk

XII kit to be honest, the Special Hobby is better than the Airfix kit, despite what you might read.

Re the build, you have already added the smaller oil cooler, correct for  Mk.XII or Mk.V,  not any of the Merlin 60 variants.

Detail points

The external wheel well, the circular tyre bit is underside colour, not internal colour.

The small tear drop bulges on upper wing over wheel Wells are post war only for use with the 3 spoke wheel.

The circular hole on the fuel tank in front of cockpit is a filler cap, you appear to have filled this.

Flaps are normally retracted on the ground, only dropped for maintenance.

The Hasegawa kit is noted for having an undersized rear fuselage, the Eduard Merlin 60 kits basically have made all the others obsolete.

The Hase kit looks fine on its own, but can look odd next to a correctly proportioned model.

What you have done so far look great,  I'd just fix the radiator and make  Mk.IX.

HTH

• Like 1

Hi Troy, much appreciated on all the good intel!

I'll start that search for the kit. I found one yesterday but it was mostly/all metal kit. Do know of any good references and photos for the Mk. XII? Info on the internet at the time when I started researching was very sparse, photos even sparser and walk arounds pretty much non existent. The fuel filler cap was filled in based on some of the photos I did manage to find. Time to un-fill, clean, put cap back on time and easy enough to restore the other radiator with some good old fashioned card stock. I will say I love Eduard, Squadron and other aftermarket add-ons. Wish they had them when I was a kid!

1 hour ago, SgtMac7 said:

I'll start that search for the kit.

OK, to give you an idea, try this

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235067463-so-whats-actually-wrong-with-special-hobbys-spitfire-xii/

so you can see various peoples views on the kit.  Bear in mind my comment on some of the cross kitting. 

Why bother, it's easier to fix the kits issues if you can see them.

Again, easiest way to do Spitfire XII in 1/48th is the Special Hobby kit, fixed if you need.   The Airfis kit is likely an easier build, but has a load of issues.

or

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995521-building-a-better-spitfire-xii/

Which if nothing else deal with many of the questions and details of the airframe.  

There are more threads, dealing with doing this in 1/72nd.

2 hours ago, SgtMac7 said:

Do know of any good references and photos for the Mk. XII?

There are plenty online, this is a useful selection.

https://www.raf-in-combat.com/downloads/spitfire-mk-xii/

I assume these are all in this

https://www.raf-in-combat.com/downloads/squadrons-no-5-the-supermarine-spitfire-mk-xii/

They were only 100 built, and the only combat use was by 41 and 91 Squadrons, and later with an AA co-operation unit, 595 Sq, of which I know of 1 photo

Spitfire F. XII MB837 of 595 Squadron during the summer 1945.

RAF-in-Combat.com_Spitfire-XII-17.jpg

also

https://www.destinationsjourney.com/historical-military-photographs/supermarine-spitfire-mk-xii/

Spitfire-F-Mk-XII-MB882-%C2%91EB-B%C2%92

this got discussed on here, as the Griffon was powerful, and also the prop rotates in the opposite direction to the Merlin, ground crew tended to use different pressures in the oleo legs to counter act this, hence the lopsided angle above.

The photos in the links cover the subject very well, actually I can only think of a few more not in the links, these cover most angles well.

2 hours ago, SgtMac7 said:

I found one yesterday but it was mostly/all metal kit.

Casidio Spitfire XIV I presume?

Aires did a set for the Airfix Spitfire 22/24

845_rd.jpg

this is two stage Griffon,  but the main engine block is the same, as are the front parts of the engine bearers, as is the front section of the cowling.

Grand Phoenix did a boxing of the Airfix kit, well, the Seafire, as a special edition with a resin engine

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/gp/kit_gp_seafire.shtml

which maybe findable in the USA on the used market.

while you are unlikely to find images of Spitfire XII uncolwed there are warbird Spitfire XV and XVII

http://www.venturapublications.com/news/publish/Seafire-engine-detail.shtml

You can get the SH XII kit in the USA easily

eg

https://spruebrothers.com/sph48107-1-48-special-hobby-supermarine-spitfire-mk-xii/

Have a read, and if you would like clarifications ask away.

HTH

• Thanks 1

As my old chief of smoke used to say "fantabulious". I believe you have me back on the right heading, straight and level and with engine leaned just right. Very much appreciate all of the info and references. Looks like it is going to be Sprue Brothers and Aires to the rescue and the Mk. IXc going back to a Mk/ IXc. Btw, love the avatar, been a long long long while since I've watched Clockwork Orange. Found and am following you on Flickr. I'm the one called "Gruntpa" there. May see if I can change my handle here to match.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, SgtMac7 said:

love the avatar, been a long long long while since I've watched Clockwork Orange.

I did that when I first joined...  I did the colour shift as I like blue.  I'd have to think why I picked it, it was a long time ago.   

The B-52 looks like box art?  From the user name possibly ex USAF?

52 minutes ago, SgtMac7 said:

I believe you have me back on the right heading

it's an awful lot easier to find information when you know what too look for and what to filter out.  

39 minutes ago, SgtMac7 said:

Found and am following you on Flickr. I'm the one called "Gruntpa" there. May see if I can change my handle here to match.

You can change your user name, you just need to ask @Mike  nicely, though I don't know if 'Gruntpa' is that flattering.  

45 minutes ago, SgtMac7 said:

Aires to the rescue

If you want the single stage Griffon you need to so some surgery and research.  It near heresy one here but I'm not that interested in Spitfires, but it's hard to get away from the damn things on  here..

Not sure where in the frozen north east USA,  one of members @gingerbob who does know an awful lot about Spitfire is Maine.  

Re Griffon 

this in the caption (to right) is listed as Griffon Mk.II - Spitfire XII

52739772641_4c5d468f35_b.jpgRolls Royce Griffon II / 88 by Thomas Vogt, on Flickr

this is Griffon 65, note the two sets of impellers at the rear for the two stage supercharger, which is why it's longer,

Rolls-Royce-Griffon-Page-2-scaled.jpg

v7eapjy3dpl81.jpg

DSC06517.jpg

as you can see the main engine block is basically the same, it the stuff at the back that's different.

There will be images of Seafire XV/XVII warbirds with the cowls off so you can see how the engine bearers look, though I the the rear parts are just shorter.

Be worth asking in the WW II section.  

HTH

• Like 2

Roger that and true, Spitfires everywhere, same for the Mustang D variants and understood the avatar. Box art is the first kit I ever built, was a Christmas present. Monogram 1/72 B-52D kit (with jet engine whistle noise maker inside) from 1968, dad bought it for me and it did NOT fit under the tree. I'll email Mike on the name change thanks! Gruntpa, in case anyone is curious, is American military slang for someone who is old in a profession where most die young. Did my time, did pretty decently and then was lucky enough to retire back in '05 after a couple of deployments.

• Like 1