How to view a works document in word +++SORTED+++

Ray S

Hello all.

My Dad has an old computer upon which he has made a few important documents. Unfortunately they are in Microsoft Works. I have Microsoft Word on my computer, and I cannot read them. Do any of you, my friends, have any suggestions for this?

I have tried Googling for advice, but I am getting nowhere. One suggestion was to get from Microsoft a converter, but their site said it was no longer available. I don't think Dad used his printer for a good 6-7 years, but will try to get some ink and see what happens, otherwise I will see if I can photograph the pages on-screen and print them. I don't think me latching my printer to his computer would help (it is a Windows Vista machine). It appears that there are third party converters, but I am loathe to download anything like that due to security issues, so any recommendations would be handy.

One document is a story of his life, so it would mean a lot to get this sorted.

Thanks in advance for any help offered, all the best everyone

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Edited Title

Will they open in a text editor such as Notepad or WordPad as sometimes it will display the text of the file, along with all the gobbledy-gook coding that constitutes the formatting.

To get to either, right click on the file and locate 'open with' select it and then select choose another app, scroll down the list and they should appear (you may have to use 'more apps' to expand the list.

If that works it should allow you to copy & paste into word.

I've found this site - which suggests that it is still possible to download MS Works.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/install-run-microsoft-works-on-windows-10

There's this :

Microsoft Works has been discontinued and development was stopped in 2009 – but you can still use it on your Windows 11/10 PC by installing it in Compatibility Mode.

I have no idea whether this will work or what might happen - but it looks slightly positive. Others may no more.

Good luck

Mark

8 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

According to various websites (and MS themselves) you should be also able to open .WPS files in Word as well!

I suppose that could depend on which version of Word he's using.

Someone on MS's own forums says the following:

Hi, the most reliable method for converting WPS files to word is to open them in Open Office, save them as .docx and then they will be MS Word Compatible.

I know it is a pain to have ot install Open Office, but I have converted thousands of these documents over time and have found this to e the only reliable method

The official installer for Open Office is available from here:

https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

The upside is that it'll cost nothing (but time) to try it :)

You could convert the files online from .WPS to .DOC/DOCX using https://www.zamzar.com/ for free and without installing any other software. I work in IT and have used Zamzar for about 15 years without any problems.

Steve

Hello, thank you all very much indeed for the suggestions! They were all gratefully received.

Last night I was nattering to some friends in NZ and one of them said about PDF's. Well, tyro that I am I knew how to convert a Word document into a PDF, so the question was, would a Vista machine ever have heard of PDF? Well, I gave it a go, and the answer was no! It did give an option for an .xps file though, so I 'printed' it at that, popped it on a 128mb (told you it was old!) memory stick, put it in my computer back home and lo! and behold, lovely wonderful text on my screen, which printed of very nicely indeed! I can now go back and do the same for Dad's Life Story and make copies for all the family.

Thank you again so much for all your help, it has meant a lot at this time

Ray

PS

20 hours ago, Circloy said:

Will they open in a text editor such as Notepad or WordPad as sometimes it will display the text of the file, along with all the gobbledy-gook coding that constitutes the formatting.

To get to either, right click on the file and locate 'open with' select it and then select choose another app, scroll down the list and they should appear (you may have to use 'more apps' to expand the list.

If that works it should allow you to copy & paste into word.

It didn't sadly, but all is well now

PPS

19 hours ago, Mike said:

suppose that could depend on which version of Word he's using.

Mike, it is Word 2016, I should have mentioned it in the original post, my apologies

• Like 1

• Ray S changed the title to How to view a works document in word +++SORTED+++