616 Sqd Meteor wing roundels

Chuck1945

I’m building a DML/Dragon 1/72 Meteor F.III, 616 Sqd, overall white. In February 1945 four Meteors were deployed to 2TAF in Belgium to fly familiarization sorties, primarily for ground based units to learn that not all jets seen overhead were German. I can find a couple of pictures of the white Meteors but none clearly show the upper side of the wing so I can tell if they still wore the type B or 2TAF modified roundel. Any suggestions? (I know ‘type B’ isn’t the official designation but that’s the naming system I learned years ago and I’m too old to bother trying to remember the ‘right’ nomenclature 😛)

That’s kinda the way I’m leaning that way too, C1 on the upper wing surface if only to make yet another difference from the F.I I’m also building. The few pictures I’ve found that show anything indicate B on the F.I, and C1 on F.III, but the F.III pictures are later in 1945 with normal camouflage painting…

You are probably correct. From what I read in one source everything but the national insignia  and the individual aircraft ID letter on the forward nose wheel cover was painted white. The photo gingerbob linked and one in the C&M meteor section show where part of the serial was showing, could be different pictures of the same aircraft, and another photo appears to show even the serial painted over

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I'd say C rather than C1.  There's no need for the yellow ring to contrast with a white finish.

I actually woke up this morning and thought, "I did I write C1 on the Britmodeller post? I meant to write C."

• Like 1