Powered by Rolls-Royce, 31 and revving up nicely

Mjwomack

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

Just the one? And I was hoping that the broad 'definition' or maybe soft-focus on what was Rolls Royce would give you plenty of choice!

Don't worry MJ, there is plenty of choice to go at with Derwent's, Spey's and Trent's and even the MT30's used in some modern Naval vessels.

I am certain something else will materialise before the start. 🤔

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karearea said:

I could be persuaded to build something pink and six-wheeled. Provided I can find a kit..

Sounds like we're back to the Court Airlines sunburn liveried 1-11s! Actually I think I know where you're going with this and I approve

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

MT30's used in some modern Naval vessels.

Modern naval vessels don't have the lines for me, but more than welcome; there is a whole ocean of marine R/R waiting to be tapped into.

Meanwhile I'm pondering a Lanc in civilian use

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Sounds like we're back to the Court Airlines sunburn liveried 1-11s! Actually I think I know where you're going with this and I approve

This might help in your quest.

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/1629744983-64509100.jpg

Cheers

John. (No affiliation to Scale Model Shop)

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

So how many have we got so far ? ..Do you need 30 confirmed to do a GB or something? 

I have us as 17, 30 is the gunfight qualification unless we can convince @Enzo the Magnificent that this is a stgb because its exclusively rolls royce then the threshold is 25 

Got to say the numbers are ticking up nicely 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I'm going to need some talented help on the hosting front to straighten me out about Rolls Royce engined Mig 15s though!!

I'd say go with the MiG-15 and -17 as its Klimov VK-1 engine is essentially indistinguishable from the Rolls Royce Nene.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

This might help in your quest.

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/1629744983-64509100.jpg

Cheers

John. (No affiliation to Scale Model Shop)

Excellent choice! But what is it?! I mean Sci-Fi/ Wattiff/ Concept car from the Paris car show in 1968!!!!

totally distracted now, and other retailers are available.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

Excellent choice! But what is it?! I mean Sci-Fi/ Wattiff/ Concept car from the Paris car show in 1968!!!!

totally distracted now, and other retailers are available.

Don;t ask me!!!,  :fool:  I just thought that it was the Very Pink, six wheeled vehicle powered by a Rolls Royce engine that someone may or may not have been looking for. :winkgrin:

Always happy to help

John

• Haha 2

That’s definitely the one someone was looking for! Although I’m very impressed @Mjwomack came up with an alternative pink Rolls six-wheeler. The best I could do would be two PRU Spitfires in formation.

Edited by Karearea
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 6:42 PM, Black Knight said:

Look for Dapol, Revell or Gowland & Gowland and under the name 'Highway' for a 1911 Roll Royce

The parts break-down is exactly the same as Airfix

I'd even venture to suggest that the Airfix kit is a copy of the Gowland & Gowland kit

Turns out I have one in the stash - I thought it was Revell, but they were the distributor. So @Pig of the Week PM me your address, and a

Gowland & Gowland (dist by Revell) H46 1911 Rolls Royce is in the post to you

Regardless of if this Gb makes it or not, I suspect you're more likely to build it than me, and as we said, they're there to be built!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Turns out I have one in the stash - I thought it was Revell, but they were the distributor. So @Pig of the Week PM me your address, and a

Regardless of if this Gb makes it or not, I suspect you're more likely to build it than me, and as we said, they're there to be built!

Pm'd 👍

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

This GB suggestion faces a few hurdles yet- 

Got to reach the 30 threshold for the notorious bunfight

only a few survive that each year due to the limited number of slots in the calendar

The earliest this GB would come on stream is Jan'25.

If you can't wait that long, then you could put te cat amongst the pigeons for this one

And ask if a kit that Airfix seemed to have cloned is eligible?! Glad I'm not one of the hosts for that little conundrum!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

This GB suggestion faces a few hurdles yet- 

Got to reach the 30 threshold for the notorious bunfight

only a few survive that each year due to the limited number of slots in the calendar

The earliest this GB would come on stream is Jan'25.

If you can't wait that long, then you could put te cat amongst the pigeons for this one

And ask if a kit that Airfix seemed to have cloned is eligible?! Glad I'm not one of the hosts for that little conundrum!

Ooh I'll have to exercise great restraint waiting  til Jan '25 !.. but, on the other hand, I've got loads of models in the pending queue, so not too tragic. It'd be churlish not to enter it in your "Roller Derby" anyway 😁

• Haha 1

Great GB proposal - I think I've got an idea even if it's not British...!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Great GB proposal - I think I've got an idea even if it's not British...!

That's one of the MIGs covered then!!

On 3/1/2024 at 5:20 PM, dnl42 said:

Don't forget, Merlins also powered unlimited hydroplanes, a.k.a., really fast boats.

https://thunderboats.ning.com/profiles/blogs/rolls-royce-merlin

And next, a link to model ones?!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

That's one of the MIGs covered then!!

And next, a link to model ones?!

I did find some OOP kits in 35th and 48th, but, well OOP == $$$. I am thinking of a 1/48 resin Merlin and scratch building a hull. :hmmm:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dnl42 said:

I did find some OOP kits in 35th and 48th, but, well OOP == $$$. I am thinking of a 1/48 resin Merlin and scratch building a hull. :hmmm:

Is that to be taken as an expression of interest? It's exactly the sort of eclectic thing I'm hoping for!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Is that to be taken as an expression of interest? It's exactly the sort of eclectic thing I'm hoping for!

Yes. While I do have Spitfire, Hurricane, Defiant, Lancaster, and Mosquito kits in the stash, I do like different models.

• Thanks 1

• Mjwomack changed the title to Powered by Rolls-Royce revved up to 19
  • Mjwomack changed the title to Powered by Rolls-Royce revved up to 20

I'm up for this!

I'll try and find something a little different from my usual (maybe a Kestrel-powered pre-war biplane) but if that fails to materialise I can always builda good old Spitstang or Mosiccane...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mjwomack changed the title to Powered by Rolls-Royce revved up to 21
28 minutes ago, Beardybloke said:

I'm up for this!

I'll try and find something a little different from my usual (maybe a Kestrel-powered pre-war biplane) but if that fails to materialise I can always builda good old Spitstang or Mosiccane...

Maybe this?

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/pegasus-aircraft-1-72-4009-dh4-rolls-royce-liberty-&-raf-3a

13 hours ago, R T Fishall said:

Put me down for this one please!

So much of the stash qualifies one way or another but I quite fancy a subject fitted with something a little more PWRful than a Merlin.

That would float my boat!

Upto 21, at this rate we'll be into the Bunfight (gulp). 

It's a good time to start casting around for co-hosts. Personally I'm good at the encouraging words and ferreting the internet, but limited modelling prowess or technical knowledge. So volunteers to plug those gaps would be welcome.

As its likely to be so diverse a GB, I'm wondering about a thread within it for discussion of contentious proposals so the whole wisdom of BM can be brought to bear.

All to ponder for the future, but for now, we need 9 more sponsors and a good supply of stale buns!

• Like 1