1/192 HMS CAVENDISH - scratch built repair

About 6 weeks ago, fellow BMer @I Boland posted a request to ask if anyone could help repair a scratch built model of HMS CAVENDISH that he had bought as she was a sister ship to two other C class destroyers in which his father had served in the 1960s.  Having brought it home, I gather that he dropped the model putting her in the display cabinet.  Given that I managed to repair a 1/96 ship builders model of HMS DANAE after a Sea Cadet leant on its perspex case which collapsed and trashed all of the upperworks, I said I would have a look.  He sent me some photos which looked nothing like as bad as DANAE so I said yes, and a couple of weeks ago, he dropped the model off to me.

53548812611_10ffb486a5_b.jpg

The damage is limited to A turret - made slightly more tricky by a part repair already - and guardrails.

53547940477_f1562dc30b_b.jpg

53549249015_c668d80af4_b.jpg

53549248710_c1db9fe50d_b.jpg

53549249020_fc4492991a_b.jpg

53549143889_0b958312b9_b.jpg

So I started with A turret.  Managed to get it free from the hull though with the overhang from B gundeck, getting it back again might be tricky.  First thing was to disassemble it to remove all of the glue which had been put on for the initial attempted repair.  It was like being Kirsten from BBC's Repair Shop scraping away the old glue!  But managed to get it into 3 major parts (only two shown below) and the majority of the glue removed:

53549162694_e1022fbdc5_b.jpg

Then start to re-assemble:

53549267355_a1a6226253_b.jpg

Which was easier said than done because I think my Zap CA might be on its way out because it did not want to secure thee parts together.  In the end it is a mix of tiny amounts of 2 part epoxy and PVA white glue.  I just now need to touch up the paint on a couple of those edges but the challenge is, what colour grey did the original modeller use?  I'm going to start with Colourcoats Light Weatherworks grey and see where that takes me.

53549267345_c0ec8a195e_b.jpg

Now onto the guardrails...

Thanks for watching

• Like 9

Well that was fun!  The worst part of repair to DANAE were the hundreds of broken guardrails but in 1/96, every one had to be replaced individually.  At least there were parts of CAVENDISH, especially on the port side of the fo'c'sle where there were whole runs missing and thus could be replaced en-masse.  Nevertheless, it was still a good few hours at the bench but I'm pleased with the result.  It's such a nice model of a lovely old ship (I've always had a soft spot for the CA class destroyers after going on board HMS CAVALIER when she was still in active service at Chatham Navy Days in about 1969/1970).

Good news was that none of the stanchions were missing.  Bent, yes, but all there, because the way my CA was behaving, I would not have fancied trying to secure new stanchions end on.  I did spot a fair few other broken guardrails as I went around that I hadn't spotted on first inspection, especially around the quarterdeck area, so they have all also been replaced.

I started with Uschi van der Rosten line but in this scale, it is simply too fine and so I ended up using stretched sprue.

53552087875_657e14f12f_b.jpg

53552087835_0d352b4b9d_b.jpg

53550781277_60d0a38aa9_b.jpg

53550781322_63cd2c3990_b.jpg

53551840528_f53f3c8601_b.jpg

53550781302_b710ee0afe_b.jpg

53550781342_5c428740fc_b.jpg

Did have a bit of a 'mare yesterday when I managed to knock the ensign off the ensign staff and could I find it, could I heck.  I means it's not as if it's a millimetric bit of PE, it's 10 mm x 5 mm and mostly bright white.  But I spent a good hour trying to find it and just as I had resigned myself to replacing it with a 1/350 battleship ensign decal, I decided to have one final look this afternoon and found it buried on the workbench behind a small box.  So the original is back in place.

The astute amongst you will notice from the first photo that I haven't replaced the whip aerials on the for'ard corners of the bridge.  They're not broken as such - that was how the model was made - they're just wrong.  If you look at this photo of CAVENDISH taken in 1962, you can see that thy are pretty close to vertical and most importantly, not curved.

45333689981_4e76a30db0_b.jpg

(not my photo, I found it in Tim Webb's excellent Flickr site which has over 7,500 photos of historic and current warships, mostly RN.

I can replace them with straight wire, but I will leave that decision with the model owner to make.  It's not my call.

Now back to finishing the flight deck base for XZ733, HMS BRAVE's Lynx in 1991 and then to start the Wessex HAS 1 for the Baby Boomers Group Build.

Thanks for watching

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 5

@Chewbacca thanks so much for sorting this for me. The model has real sentimental value, as my Dad served on two of her sister ships Carysfort & Cassandra. Sadly he passed away a few years ago now. 

I was so upset when I dropped it, and so glad you were able to help me get it fixed. You are a true gent, and I cannot thankyou enough. 

I promise to be more careful in future!

Kind Regards

Ian 

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

The astute amongst you will notice from the first photo that I haven't replaced the whip aerials on the for'ard corners of the bridge.  They're not broken as such - that was how the model was made - they're just wrong.  If you look at this photo of CAVENDISH taken in 1962, you can see that thy are pretty close to vertical and most importantly, not curved.

Nice result on the repairs! as for the large MF/HF whip aerials, they were quite flexible and could have a fair bit of curve in them in a stiff breeze.

• Thanks 1

Lovely to see this, really nice of you to do the repairs. My Grandfather was on Cavendish during the war, so it's particularly nice for me that you've posted the photos. Short of the Seacats, she looks at first glance to be in a very similar fit as her sister Cavalier at Chatham today; I'm less fond of the Daring bridge over the war-time one, but it's a damn sight nicer than the enclosed frigate-style ones that the later Ca refits had. Great work on the repairs!

Andy

• Thanks 1

On 26/02/2024 at 09:52, Dave Swindell said:

Nice result on the repairs! as for the large MF/HF whip aerials, they were quite flexible and could have a fair bit of curve in them in a stiff breeze.

I totally agree,  but I've never seen them bent out at 180 deg to each other looking like cat's whiskers!  Sorry this isn't a great photo but I forgot to take a better one before I took my trusty cutters to them.

53561116657_b5282dcd3a_b.jpg

And after replacing with something a little more realistic:

53562421480_0189d7100c_b.jpg

53561116662_bd5999aee6_b.jpg[/url

• Like 1