UFO Sky One docking sequence

I'd have expected a load of interim steps such as refuelling etc. before it was relocated on the front of Diver.  Too much pomp and faff for my liking, and they need to address their staffing levels, as there were far too many people in overalls ambling about doing nothing all over the ship. :hmmm:

I'd have opted for a vertical landing near Diver, and then have Diver park up behind it.  If you wanted to be fancy, I'd use harpoons to locate it and pull the two parts together.  Cheaper, quicker and easier ;)

• Like 4

And some complex swivel manoeuvre, like a bayonet fitting.

Also, does the supertanker follow Sky-Diver about, or do SHADO have one for every hundred square miles or so of ocean?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

or do SHADO have one for every hundred square miles or so of ocean?

In Anderson-land, you can walk across the oceans just by stepping from ship to ship.  Apparently :hmmm:

• Haha 2

Harry, I did wonder about the tanker myself. It would have to be in the right place every time. Can't be much fuel in sky one.

Mike, it's Anderson, it has to be complicated. Part of the charm. Look at the assembly sequence for Zero X. Or what TB 1 goes through pre launch.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

Also, does the supertanker follow Sky-Diver about, or do SHADO have one for every hundred square miles or so of ocean?

And a rather obvious nod to James Bond's "The Spy Who Loved Me"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike said:

they need to address their staffing levels, as there were far too many people in overalls ambling about doing nothing all over the ship

Those will be engineering officers, the real work has happened unseen as if by magic - by the groundcrew.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Too much pomp and faff for my liking

Now you're talking about aircrew.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I'd have expected a load of interim steps such as refuelling etc.

I was thinking one of those orange things was a refuelling nozzle too.

1 hour ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I wish someone would buy the rights to make these kits.

I was just wondering where I could get a kit of SkyOne...

Thanks to @Pete in Lincs for posting this, great stuff, this took me back, two words - GABRIELLE DRAKE!!! :wub:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I wish someone would buy the rights to make these kits. Nearly found myself buying a Dinky SHADO mobile for £80 the other week.

Round 2 are to release some UFO kits this year I believe.

Graham

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Heya, Pete, 

That was a fun video --- very well produced! Not how I envisioned it as a kid, but hey, everyone gets to use their imagination on anything unseen... Something this complicated and seemingly time consuming would necessitate a need for one or two more Skydivers to maintain Earth defenses.

Honestly, I always imagined that Sky One would just dive back into the ocean and utilize sonar to align itself with the sub for a re-capture and docking beneath the waves. Then back to business!

Heck, I could never figure out how the Moonbase Interceptor pilots got from that cool slide into the pilot's chair of their craft... Did they get dumped out onto the platform at the bottom of the slide onto the launch platform, brush themselves off, and then hop into the lowered seat, which raised them up though the Interceptor's bottom hatch and into the cockpit? Who can say? 

Fun trying to figure all of this business out...

Whatever the case, it was a cool looking  video with a great  Derek Meddings / Gerry Anderson / James Bond vibe!!!

Thanks again, Pete!

WIth Regards And Aloha, 

Johnny B. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can you imagine the discussion as Engineering pitched the idea to Ed Straker?

Engineering: Boss, we've had an idea for the perfect craft for intercepting UFOs from outer space.

Straker: Excellent. More interceptors? We only have three as I keep telling everyone.

E: Nope. Guess again.

ES: More missiles on our existing three interceptors? They only have one missile each as I keep telling everyone.

E: Nope. You need to be thinking more out of the box Sir. Guess again.

ES: Go one. If it isn't more space ships or better weapons on our existing space ships what is it that you propose to combat this threat of space aliens that come from space in space craft?

E: A submarine.

ES: Cool! Will it have a space ship that can be launched from underwater and a fleet of recovery ships?

E: Yes!

ES: Excellent. Pass me the requisition book. And does your brother still own a ship yard?

----

ES: One more question lads... For operational reasons are you going to insist that it is crewed by models in purple wigs?

E: Not this time Sir, models in string vests.

ES: Good, good. Crack on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

They missed the bit out of the video where SkyDiver tips completely on its tail so that the pilot can slide back into Diver.

Graham

• Haha 3

When Sky One was approaching around 1:40, I thought: Hmm, what about VFA-103 or VFA-143 markings?  Though that vertical stab looks a bit small.

Sorry for going off topic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GrahamS said:

They missed the bit out of the video where SkyDiver tips completely on its tail so that the pilot can slide back into Diver.

Graham

They have to sound an alarm first in case anyone is drinking a hot brew or playing Jenga.

• Haha 4

And yep! Even as an eight year old kid watching the series here in the States in '72, as much as I adored the Interceptors (and the ladies who launched them), the Bronx boy in me shook my head thinking, "Hmmmm, only one missile?! Those pilots had better be real, real good!!"  And I definitely would have been the guy who missed!  🤣 But I also would have bribed my Crew Chief to strap a little extra non-regulation firepower to my Interceptor...no doubt resulting in a demotion to laundry detail, vacuuming purple wigs and shining white go-go boots.  

Seriously, really looking forward to seeing the kits Round 2 is going to release from the series: I'm hoping for a) an Interceptor; b) a Mobile; and c) SkyDiver... And like any Gerry Anderson show, there is always a selection of wonderful hardware to wish for...including the way-cool support vehicles and craft!

So awesome to see a commercial interest (model kits!) in the franchise, what 50 years after broadcast?!! 

Currently enjoying re-runs of Fireball XL5 on Prime now!!! Lots of fun, especially when accompanied by a grown up beverage. 

Take care, Folks!

With Regards and Aloha, 

Johnny B. 

• Like 3

As cool as it is to watch, I always felt that SkyDiver was a solution in search of a problem.  The helicarrier, as per S.H.I.E.L.D. (or indeed Spectrum) is a far more sensible solution when rapid global response is required.  Unless, of course, you have a whole fleet of SkyDivers globally positioned -- but I guess that movie studio could only finance a single one.

On the other hand ... since the aliens rarely "invaded" with more than one UFO at a time ... maybe they were struggling with a tough budget as well!

• Haha 5

Meanwhile on the Alien Homeworld...

Military Intelligence : Boss, we've worked out that the Earth is defended by 3 single shot interceptors and a submarine with a top speed of 8 kts.

Chief of Staff : So if we were to send 5 ships we would have a 100% chance of getting through?

MI : 4  Sir if we picked a difference ocean to the one that the submarine is in.

CoS : Excellent. Send 5! 3 to get shot down and 1 to get within a couple of miles of the submarine.

MI : And what do we do with the 5th?

CoS : May I suggest that we travel across billions of miles, losing 80% of our invasion fleet on the way, then land near some remote cottage in the English countryside and poke about noisily in the bushes until someone shows up with a cool looking tanks and shoots us.

MI : Sounds like a plan!

CoS : Any idea what the purple wigs are about?

MI : Not a clue Sir. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...

A great video, it made my day. Completely bonkers but then that ties in nicely with the vibe of the show which was eccentric and then some. According to the show, in the 1980s all the chaps will be wearing smartly tailored romper suits ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Uncle Monty said:

chaps will be wearing smartly tailored romper suits ??

Shell suits just didn't cut it for planet Anderson did they?

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 6:21 PM, Wez said:

Thanks to @Pete in Lincs for posting this, great stuff, this took me back, two words - GABRIELLE DRAKE!!! :wub:

I see your Gabrielle Drake and raise you AYSHEA BROUGH!

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1