Bristol Beaufort

I shouldn't really be starting another project, but I'm just so excited that I've finally found a decent paint for Dark Slate Grey.  I originally intended to build a Beaufighter.   I mean, who doesn't like a Beaufighter?  But then I realised that Beaufighters in the Temperate Sea Scheme were quite few and far between.  So Beaufort it is!

Still building from The Stash. :) 

spacer.png

Rather than subject you to my pathetc attempts to photograph the sprues, let me direct you to the Britmodeller review of this kit.

• Like 13

23 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I shouldn't really be starting another project

It's ok, Enzo, you're among friends here. Like AA, except we encourage you to further your addiction to the smell of plastic cement ;) 

James

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Beaufighters in TSS aren't that rare.  Coastal Command in the UK, the Mediterranean, and the Far East.  That said, enjoy your Beaufort.

It seems that many Beaufighters in TSS were Mk VI, although I have found a Mk X.   It's a long GB so there's always a possibility.  :)

6 minutes ago, 81-er said:

It's ok, Enzo, you're among friends here. Like AA, except we encourage you to further your addiction to the smell of plastic cement ;)

This makes my 17th concurrent build, which is a bit mad even by my standards...  :mental:   But then again, three of those projects are on the very cusp of completion...

• Like 3

Reading all that, I'm sure I could add both one Beaufort and one Beaufighter to the list of builds. Just because that's What E.M. Would Do :giggle:

But I will not. That'd screw my own count of what's going on. I will add the 'fighter when you start your build thread for it :fool:

...And I'm long overdue building a Beaufort myself. As a kid, I got a fantastic (at least back then) book about WW2 aircraft. It mentioned the Beaufort, and how they devastated Rommel's supply lines flying from Malta. Yet it lacked a pic of one, and the (then) mysterious torpedo bomber has intrigued me ever since. V-P

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

It mentioned the Beaufort, and how they devastated Rommel's supply lines flying from Malta.

There are stories of Malta Beauforts painted in an uppersurface disruptive scheme of medium and dark blue.  Xtradecal even provide markings for one.  But did the scheme ever actually exist???

3 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

There are stories of Malta Beauforts painted in an uppersurface disruptive scheme of medium and dark blue.  Xtradecal even provide markings for one.  But did the scheme ever actually exist???

The consensus on here seems to be a no, watching along as want to enter mine 

• Like 1

The fuselage interior is quite comprehensive - even down to the Elsan thunderbucket!  :lol:   I sprayed the interior with Xtracrylix XA1010 and used Florymodels dark wash to grubby things up a bit.  The pilot's seat harness is from Eduard.   Almost nothing will be seen in the middle cabin, but there is still some nice detail.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ready to fit into the fuselage halves.

spacer.png

Like so

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

That's a very nice job on the interior, Enzo :) I wonder if there was a "no pooping" rule for the khazi, the same as there is for band tour busses now?

James

• Thanks 1

Transparencies fitted and masked using an Eduard mask set.

spacer.png

Flying surfaces built up and ready for fitment.

spacer.png

After fitting the wings I primed the model with my usual technique of clear lacquer from a rattle can followed by a coat of grey plastic primer, also from a rattle can.  I then built up the nacelle interiors.

spacer.png

Nacelles fitted, masked and primed.

spacer.png

• Like 13

Sprayed with Lifecolor UA-109.  The disruptive pattern was then masked using my usual technique of Blutak worms and masking tape squares, sealed with Copydex.

spacer.png

• Like 9

The Dark Slate Grey was then sprayed using Tamiya XF-22 RLM Grey.  After a coat of clear lacquer to protect the paint surface I then masked off the uppersurfaces and sprayed the lowersurfaces with Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black.

spacer.png

I have been looking for a decent colour to represent Dark Slate Grey for ages.  The Xtracolour mix is too green and too dark, leaving very little contrast with the Extra Dark Sea Grey.  Instead I used to use Xtracolour Light Slate Grey which had the correct contrast but again was too green.  I finally found the Tamiya colour recommended somewhere on Britmodeller (I didn't keep track of exactly where so I can't provide proper credit... :sorry:  I am very pleased with it.

But here's the weird thing.  I thought that XF-22 would be good to represent Field Grey on German WW2 uniforms.   I matched it against Lifecolor UA-403 and - lo and behold - it is almost identical!   I've been using UA-403 for ages and never thought to see if it would be good for Dark Slate Grey.  :wall:  

Back to the build.   I sprayed the nacelle interiors with Xtracrylx XA1010.  The engine components were sprayed with various dark metal colours from car paint rattle cans.

spacer.png

• Like 12

That's looking good, Enzo. It's interesting to know XF-22 works fror Dark Slate Grey as it's supposed to be RLM 02, but it's always looked too dark for that to me

James